2018 SouthPark Season 22 Discussion Thread

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Soft bigotry of low expectations.

You guys are basically defining that statement by insinuating that blacks are normally incapable of making such a production and it was only after black panther that they were freed from the shackles.

Ever heard of Shaft? Jungle Fever? Do The Right Thing? Training Day? Antoine Fuqua? Spike Lee? The Hughes Brothers? Black Stars, Black Directors, Black Producers.

So, what were you lying again?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I watched it last night. I thought the whole "school shootings aren't a big deal" was great and spot on. I also thought the whole period things was pretty funny. I didn't really get the whole Black Panther reference. I didn't realize that there was a whole "thing" about it until this thread.

96Firebird

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2010
Ever heard of Shaft? Jungle Fever? Do The Right Thing? Training Day? Antoine Fuqua? Spike Lee? The Hughes Brothers? Black Stars, Black Directors, Black Producers.

So, what were you lying again?

Did you just prove his point?

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Did you just prove his point?

No, because we were making it most likely long before he was even born. Superfly starring Ron O'Neal was an all black movie. Including the director and exec. producer.

Production year 1972
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069332/?ref_=nv_sr_2

MV5BOTg5YjJiMWUtNDBhNi00Yzc0LWFiZWUtOGI5NmUyYTliYmQwL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_UX92_CR0%2C0%2C92%2C137_AL_.jpg

Nov 29, 2006
I watched it last night. I thought the whole "school shootings aren't a big deal" was great and spot on. I also thought the whole period things was pretty funny. I didn't really get the whole Black Panther reference. I didn't realize that there was a whole "thing" about it until this thread.

This would be my response spot on. Had no idea BP had a "thing" about it.

Nov 8, 2012
Watched the episode late tonight. In all honesty, this one sucked vs the first.

The best episodes is when they tackle more than 1 issue/debate and mix up multiple in 1 episode. This one seemed to center on nothing but catholic priest's. As an atheist, this isn't something I can really know much about nor care about.

Overall rather weak episode:

A Boy and a Priest
As the families of South Park gather at church on Sunday, Stan (who has a cast following his injuries from the previous episode) questions why he has to go to Church every week. His parents admonish him on the importance of church, with Sharon saying that it makes her feel better. At church, Father Maxi struggles to deliver his sermon amid all the constant interruptions by members of the congregation who make jokes referencing Catholic Church sexual abuse cases. Butters attempts to console Maxi, relating to him how he has been the subject of ridicule at school, but now enjoys greater popularity. Encouraging him not to cover in shame, he invites Maxi to board game night with Stan and his friend's at Stan's house, but Maxi's appearance there garners more ridicule from Randy, who finds the scene of a Catholic priest sitting with five boys worthy of a photograph on social media. When an embarrassed Maxi leaves, Butter goes after him. Saying that he himself "used to be" Father Maxi, Butters implores him not to allow himself to be daunted by the cruelty of others, and to simply be himself.

As a result of this, Maxi spends more time socializing with Butters, to the point that churchgoers find the church doors locked the following Sunday. When Mr. Mackey alerts the diocese that "another" priest has disappeared from his parish, the diocease sends a cleanup crew of church officials to thoroughly clean the South Park church, Stan's house, and any other location where Father Maxi has been, in order to remove trace evidence of child molestation. At Clyde's birthday party at a roller rink, Butters brings Maxi, much to the anger of Clyde, who does not want a priest at his party. A demoralized Maxi leaves with Butters, and later confesses him that some time ago, he learned the extent of the Catholic Church sex abuse problem, and that it was worse than anyone thought (as seen in "Red Hot Catholic Love"). When the cleanup crew appear there to continue their task, and learn that Maxi was there with a child, Butters, they kidnap Stan and Clyde, and after tracking him down, Butters as well.

The cleanup crew take the three boys into the woods, where they have deployed a Zamboni ice resurfacer modified to clean up semen, or "Cumboni". Father Maxi tracks them down and confronts the cleanup crew, telling them to do whatever they want to him, but to spare the children. Surprised, the bishop in charge says that they are not there to kill him, but to cover up his crimes and issue him a transfer to the Maldives. Assuring him that no one will bother him there, and that other Catholic priests will take over for him in South Park, Father Maxi uses the Cumboni to trample the cleanup crew to death. He returns to his position at South Park's church, delivering his sermons despite the continued jokes at the expense of the church.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Soft bigotry of low expectations.

You guys are basically defining that statement by insinuating that blacks are normally incapable of making such a production and it was only after black panther that they were freed from the shackles.
]

Nobody is insinuating that. They are saying that blacks have not been allowed to make such a production (and have it so widely accepted and enjoyed and respected)

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
I like south park a lot but I thought the season opener was ok. Not bad but not in the top 10.

I like the political commentary so far though as school shootings have really become just another day in America.

That's the problem with the show now, it's a single joke repeated for 22 minutes and beaten to death. The ENTIRE episode was that school shootings are so common that nobody notices or cares. They told it in the first minute and then never did anything else. In the old days of seasons 3-10 when the show was good that initial topic would have been a launching point for the episode. The boys would have gone on a crusade to raise awareness, they would have taken on the inertia of Washington, the apathy of the voters, the reach of the NRA, the rednecks who worship guns, etc and it would have been a layered look at a problem that attacked 100 different targets that each contribute to nothing ever getting done. Instead it was

1) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
2) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
3) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
4) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
5) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
6) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
7) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
8) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
9) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.
10) School shootings are so common we're all numb and barely notice.

the end. Every episode of the show now can be cut down to a single minute and nothing would be lost.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
PC Principal and Mr Hanky for the win.

Mr. Hanky in the angry Kavanaugh role.

“Sometimes, PC Babies don't even know what they're crying about.”