2018 SouthPark Season 22 Discussion Thread

Nov 8, 2012
Mods: If you feel this belongs in OT then feel free to move it there. Since South Park is very much a political show, I figured it fit better here.

Obviously, if you don't watch South Park then this probably isn't the thread for you.

Season 22 just kicked off yesterday and so far the marketing team has definitely been propping up this season. Apparently they started #CancelSouthpark in an effort to drum things up ahead of time - even going as far as to advertise it on billboards and NY subways. Sounds like they might be trying to push people to their limits this season? Episode 1 definitely hits it.

f789by932wm11.jpg

So with that said, Episode 1 kicked off - below is a summary:

A school shooting occurs at South Park Elementary resulting in a fatality, though the Fourth Grade teacher and her students are nonchalant when a S.W.A.T. member storms the classroom to secure it, attempting to ignore the disruption while reviewing the class's recent mathematics test. Cartman is angry because having copied his answers from classmate Token Black, he failed the test, and believes that Token initially put incorrect answers on his own test paper in a deliberate ploy to cause Cartman's failure. Cartman becomes worried that Token was motivated by rumors that Cartman disliked the feature film Black Panther, whose success holds cultural significance for black Americans,[3][4][5] but Token says he has not seen that film, spurring the paranoid Cartman to spend the episode attempting to resolve his suspicions. Ultimately, despite Token's repeated denial of ever having seen the film, Cartman concludes that Token saw it, and shares his own opinion that the film was not that good. After Cartman and Token successfully evade gunshots at yet another shooting at their school, Token allows Cartman to copy his answers on their next test.

Sharon Marsh, the mother of Cartman's other classmate, Stan, is outraged not only at the school shootings, but at the lack of similar distress on the part of other townspeople, including her husband Randy, who comes to believe that her disposition is caused by either her menstrual cycle or the onset of menopause. He attempts to shower her with love in the form of a party at which he serenades her, but Sharon angrily informs Randy and their neighbors that she is not undergoing menopause, and storms off. She later apologizes to an astonished Randy for the pain and suffering they've been experiencing, admitting that she may have been overly emotional lately. They receive word that Stan was shot at another shooting at his school. Instead of panicking, Sharon exhibits a calm, nonchalant attitude like those of Randy and the others, giving a relieved Randy cause to share a loving embrace with her.

The obvious message here is how numb our society has gotten to school shootings as often occurrences.

Oh yeah - Black Panther sucked and the entire stigma on society to act as if it was some amazing film that everyone was assumed to have seen made me laugh. Also everytime Randy was trying to get people to stop conversing with Sharon because she was on her period had me falling over laughing.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I thought the movie sucked but it provided a context for the Infinity Gauntlet. But the episode of South Park? We're in "Yeah I can see that" times.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
Are you guys nuts? It was a pretty good action flick. Watched it on the airplane last week.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Black Panther was rather mediocre--no better or no worse than any other Marvel flick, which are all basically the same movie. I wouldn't say it sucked, it just wasn't more special than any of the others, on its own.

But it was more than that--it was a predominantly black production from top to bottom--extremely rare in Hollywood for a major production. That is a big deal. I don't care if OP doesn't care or doesn't understand that. It was also a pretty big deal for the black community in this country--you know, your fellow Americans that you live and work with and really don't pay any attention to or have very little awareness of what is going on in their lives?--those people. I get that there are a lot of tropes and conventions in it that don't really speak to me, because that is the point. This community doesn't get major Hollywood productions, with this kind of budget, with their kind of heroes, existing in the current mainstream of that culture. It is actually quite unique in that way. It's kind of important that it is mediocre just like all the superhero movies, because it allows another mediocre film to co-exist, but for an entirely different, almost completely excluded audience. ;)

I'm sorry that OP demands every piece of entertainment content be made specifically for his tastes, otherwise it is a piece of CRAP. That's your thing man, but it's weird to see you vehemently judge something through your own perspective, when it clearly wasn't meant for you to attach yourself to everything about it. As far as the action and stuff, yeah it was good enough. But I also wasn't into a lot of the common black cultural stuff that was sprinkled throughout the flick, it wasn't really directed at me and so I get that. I don't declare it valueless.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I like south park a lot but I thought the season opener was ok. Not bad but not in the top 10.

I like the political commentary so far though as school shootings have really become just another day in America.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Black Panther wasn't dramatically better than other movies, but the fact that it's a story about a black culture, and an African one specifically, matters a lot. The black community, and an entire continent, can see a whole suite of heroes that represent them.

Hell, my girlfriend is British South African and she was impressed that the production team went out of its way to get authentic-sounding African accents from the cast (including Andy Serkis, who apparently does a good Joburg accent). This was not Hollywood making a casual effort to appeal to black people; there was genuine respect here.

Reactions: Bitek and greatnoob

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Trump’s victory is the first time Parker and Stone were unable to work with current events, and they’ve lost their footing a bit since, but the school shooting episode was spot on. Any episode that features Randy is gold.

Reactions: shortylickens

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Stopped watching early in season 3. While the episodes were still amusing they just couldn't replicate the raw edge season 1 had at the time.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Mods: If you feel this belongs in OT then feel free to move it there. Since South Park is very much a political show, I figured it fit better here.

The obvious message here is how numb our society has gotten to school shootings as often occurrences.

Oh yeah - Black Panther sucked and the entire stigma on society to act as if it was some amazing film that everyone was assumed to have seen made me laugh. Also everytime Randy was trying to get people to stop conversing with Sharon because she was on her period had me falling over laughing.

Anybody ever tell you how to make frog soup?

Toss a frog into boiling water, and the frog will do everything it can to get out.

Put a frog in cold water, raise the temp slowly, and it will sit quietly in the pot until it boils to death..

How many shootings did it take for you to become soup? As for me, the two ten year olds in Arkansas right after Columbine gave me a clue..

Matt and Trey are just cashing in on the gravy train. Remember when Tom Cruise wouldn't come out of the closet? That was the episode that made the late, great Issac Hayes (Chef) quit the show.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Black Panther wasn't dramatically better than other movies, but the fact that it's a story about a black culture, and an African one specifically, matters a lot. The black community, and an entire continent, can see a whole suite of heroes that represent them.

Hell, my girlfriend is British South African and she was impressed that the production team went out of its way to get authentic-sounding African accents from the cast (including Andy Serkis, who apparently does a good Joburg accent). This was not Hollywood making a casual effort to appeal to black people; there was genuine respect here.

Fair enough but I remember the blaxploitation era from many years back and there are some similarities. I am not saying that's bad as it gives the audience what it wants and some were fun to watch. It's just that this feels like a more sophisticated version.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Stopped watching early in season 3. While the episodes were still amusing they just couldn't replicate the raw edge season 1 had at the time.

After season 3 it got quite sharp again. Go online and find some "best of" lists and just watch the top two or three of each season. You will laugh, I promise.

Reactions: dank69

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fair enough but I remember the blaxploitation era from many years back and there are some similarities. I am not saying that's bad as it gives the audience what it wants and some were fun to watch. It's just that this feels like a more sophisticated version.

The key is that it isn't pandering or antagonistic. There aren't really any stereotypes... well, other than yet another South African black market type, but that's more a commentary on the country's history than its population. White people are welcome in BP's world, it's just not their story.

Nov 8, 2012

Toss a frog into boiling water, and the frog will do everything it can to get out.

Put a frog in cold water, raise the temp slowly, and it will sit quietly in the pot until it boils to death..

How many shootings did it take for you to become soup? As for me, the two ten year olds in Arkansas right after Columbine gave me a clue..

Matt and Trey are just cashing in on the gravy train. Remember when Tom Cruise wouldn't come out of the closet? That was the episode that made the late, great Issac Hayes (Chef) quit the show.

Chef quit because of Scientology bashing, what's your point there?

Reactions: shortylickens
Nov 8, 2012

Since then it has definitely taken much more of a political approach in every episode - or rather, addressing controversial topics where most americans disagree and making fun of the stupid side.

Last season IIRC was all about election stuff with Mr. Garrison as Trump.

Nov 25, 2013

re bold, nope.

https://www.conservationmagazine.org/2011/03/frog-fable-brought-to-boil/

greatnoob

Jan 6, 2014

Agreed, sometimes I’d rather see a movie whose main actor doesn’t have the same skin colour, individualistic mindset or dumb jokes as me. I loved the contrast between Black Panther and other Marvel films. It felt like a breath of fresh air even if it stayed (mostly) true to the overdone superhero vs superbaddie plot.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
I remember in junior high wearing an OMG they killed Kenny! shirt to school with a picture of him all bloody etc. :D

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Black panther as a movie in and of itself was pretty average. However, for the execution of a nearly all black movie that still has mainstream appeal its a big deal. The same for crazy rich asians.
Anyway I've always liked south-park and think as a society we could learn a thing or two about the issues these guys raise from racism and sexism to reverse racism and reverse sexism. Its a good show that pokes at the things we wish to not think about.

Nov 8, 2012
Black panther as a movie in and of itself was pretty average. However, for the execution of a nearly all black movie that still has mainstream appeal its a big deal. The same for crazy rich asians.
Anyway I've always liked south-park and think as a society we could learn a thing or two about the issues these guys raise from racism and sexism to reverse racism and reverse sexism. Its a good show that pokes at the things we wish to not think about.

Soft bigotry of low expectations.

You guys are basically defining that statement by insinuating that blacks are normally incapable of making such a production and it was only after black panther that they were freed from the shackles.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Soft bigotry of low expectations.

You guys are basically defining that statement by insinuating that blacks are normally incapable of making such a production and it was only after black panther that they were freed from the shackles.
No one is arguing that "blacks are incapable of making such a production" except for you, using your own words.

What has been stated pretty clearly, is that it has been rare for huge, blockbuster films to be predominately black. Especially where the heroes are black, and African, for that matter.

The fun part of your statement is that you come right out and say what you believe, by first projecting it onto everyone else.

Strongman Trump made it great to be an out-and-loud bigot again. Throw down the dogwhistle. It's no longer needed.

Reactions: greatnoob