2018 NCAA Football Playoffs

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Google Sam Gilbert.
He bankrolled Wooden's teams. Wooden turned a blind eye to everything.

Jerry Tarkanian once said he that Wooden told him he didn't know anything about it and Tark said "All you have to do is look at the parking lot" lol.

So I don't know if UCLA was doing all that, but they damn sure had Sam Gilbert throwing cash around and taking care of the players and recruits when Wooden was there and I think even afterwards.

I think you just described like every major collegiate athletics program.

So can you please explain to the rest of us how you giving a shit actually matters to anybody????

Is this a serious question or one of your inane dumbshit ones that you think is making a salient point, but is in fact just stupid?

Hmm, well I figure I probably matter to myself, and that's literally all the explanation needed to point out how stupid your question was. Do you have something less stupid to ask or should I just tell you to go fuck yourself and leave it at that?

I've been hearing this a lot about the QB. As mentioned I don't watch college much at all and that was the first I heard of that guy. I was not that impressed with him at all and he would get rocked in the NFL right now at his weight. He's probably lighter then RG3 and we know how that turned out after he got banged all around.

Also while that receiver had huge numbers and a couple nice catches, some of his big ones seemed more like a result of piss poor defense versus anything special he did.

I could never be a college scout lol.

Eh, Tom Brady isn't much bigger (and give the kid a year or two in a top level NCAA football program, let alone the NFL, and he'll add probably 10-15lbs, which would put him around Peyton Manning size). Any QB is gonna end up banged up in the NFL if they run much. Doesn't matter if you're Cam Newton, Roethlisberger, etc. I'm not sure if the guy is big on running or not, but I'd be skeptical of the hype around any QB who's downfield running is a huge part of his skillset, as far as NFL success goes. Even the great ones didn't end up with as much (Russell Wilson is arguably already the most successful one?) and often end up with much shorter careers. Plus, I'm not sure any team would be stupid enough to run their QB that they traded so much for into the ground ASAP like Washington did with RG3. Houston seems like they might try with Watson, but its not as bad, and they didn't give up as much to get him.

Yeah I don't like watching college either, its often so much down to coaching and complete mismatches even on the big name teams. Last time I think I watched and enjoyed college football was KU's ridiculous 2007 season

Possibly. But its not like many of them aren't capable of being blinded similarly. Lots of scouts thought Mahomes was a nothing special prospect who was just another gaudy number Texas Tech Air Raid QB and wouldn't translate to the NFL. They were often critical of the things that made him special. I think they've consistently knocked QBs that were big about baseball too (Elway, Russell Wilson, Mahomes). Honestly, seems like being a football/baseball prospect is a good indicator of freakish ability (add Bo Jackson and Deion, although I'm sure there's probably plenty that were dual sport and didn't do much). Fact is, I don't think most NFL front offices know jack shit about how players will actually turn out.

I hate the UNCheat Heels, but the fact of the matter is, in 49 states plus Puerto Rico and Guam, "Carolina" means University of North Carolina, and "USC" means Southern Cal.
I love to LOL at the Gamecocks...they have 2 different monikers there that belong to other schools.

Why do you think they're called the gamecocks? Just call them the sportdicks.

When I was in college at Kansas State working IT, I got a call from someone that just googled ksu and found our number. I couldn't help them much seeing as they were from Kent State.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Hmm, well I figure I probably matter to myself, and that's literally all the explanation needed to point out how stupid your question was. Do you have something less stupid to ask or should I just tell you to go fuck yourself and leave it at that?

So we can agree that you giving a shit, only matters to you...……..

Reactions: highland145

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I hate the UNCheat Heels, but the fact of the matter is, in 49 states plus Puerto Rico and Guam, "Carolina" means University of North Carolina, and "USC" means Southern Cal.
I love to LOL at the Gamecocks...they have 2 different monikers there that belong to other schools.

You and I are, like, the same person.

2 nights ago was a frustrating, annoying, angry night, too. damn it all.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Google Sam Gilbert.
He bankrolled Wooden's teams. Wooden turned a blind eye to everything.

Jerry Tarkanian once said he that Wooden told him he didn't know anything about it and Tark said "All you have to do is look at the parking lot" lol.

They cheated probably as bad as UNC did for decades. Except UNC got caught, exposed, and had to spend over $20 million in lawyers, PR firms and payoffs to get out of it on a *technicality*.

Here's what happened to UNC: Busted with the biggest academic cheating scandal in the history of the NCAA. They literally had a secretary at their AFAM department creating fake classes and "grading papers" for players. But she put some regular students in them as well (in a far lesser percentage than athletes), so UNC literally claimed to the NCAA this:
"Yes, the classes are bad, but regular students took them, too and you, the NCAA cannot decide if a member school's academics are fake or not".

To which the NCAA replied:
"Okay, but you admitted to SACS (the accreditation organization) that the classes WERE fake, they put you on probation for it (never happened before), you accepted the probation and the terms and we have the letter where you admitted all of it"

UNC says:
"Nope, that was a typo".

And the NCAA then said:
"Oh. Okay then, nevermind".

Literally, this is what happened. They accepted that exact argument.

So I don't know if UCLA was doing all that, but they damn sure had Sam Gilbert throwing cash around and taking care of the players and recruits when Wooden was there and I think even afterwards.

Oh Boohoo...… The players still had to play the games. During that time period every team had somebody like Gilbert in the background. Quit crying!! It`s easy to throw stones after the fact!!

Praytell how did the individual players cheat during all those games that UCLA won...hmmmm

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Oh Boohoo...… The players still had to play the games. During that time period every team had somebody like Gilbert in the background. Quit crying!! It`s easy to throw stones after the fact!!

Praytell how did the individual players cheat during all those games that UCLA won...hmmmm

praytell: why were they not required to enter the tournament, year after year after year, like every other team? praytell. why were they absolved from 3-4 single elimination games, year after year after year, unlike every other team?

jesus fucking christ: you are a goddamn 3rd grader with all of your posts. I don't know if your brain worked but stopped working at some point in your life: but it's seriously compromised now, that's obvious.

You must be a homer Notre Dame fan or some bullshit like that. ...but: how can anyone listen to a guy like Bill Walton for more than 5 minutes and still agree that this no-talent ass clown should retain the authority to talk about....well, anything? How is that possible?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I didn't watch college basketball in the Bill Walton era, but did follow the Bruins previously and they were out of this world dominant with the likes of Lew Alcindor, Gail Goodrich and Walt Hazard. Wooden was a brilliant coach. His full court press was way more than most schools could begin to handle.

Last edited:

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I didn't watch college basketball in the Bill Walton era, but did follow the Bruins previously and they were out of this world dominant with the likes of Lew Alcindor and Gale Goodrich. Wooden was a brilliant coach. His full court press was way more than most schools could begin to handle.

Wooden was a brilliant coach of the game. Lew Alcindor was/is a goddamn legend of the sport at every level. Bill Walton was a no-talent ass clown.

UCLA never competed on the same field as all the other teams of that era. They were gifted a 3-4 game buy into the postseason, for 10+ straight seasons, for no fucking reason other than no one else on the West Coast could play basketball, so no conference for that team. Fuck those asterisk-bearing championships.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Wooden was a brilliant coach of the game. Lew Alcindor was/is a goddamn legend of the sport at every level. Bill Walton was a no-talent ass clown.
Funny, I was wondering. I don't think I saw him play on any level. He's big/tall. I heard a commentator the other day say that he was "the greatest player to ever play the college game." Yep, said that. As commentators do, they bantied this about a bit. I'm not crazy about Walton's behind the microphone personality. He's kind of zany, is my recollection. He does smile a lot. I can't fault him for smiling! A clown? Maybe.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
UCLA never competed on the same field as all the other teams of that era. They were gifted a 3-4 game buy into the postseason, for 10+ straight seasons, for no fucking reason other than no one else on the West Coast could play basketball, so no conference for that team. Fuck those asterisk-bearing championships.
I guess the NCAA basketball tournament was a different thing back then. It's changed a lot. It's pretty fabulous nowadays. Never fails to be exciting. I wish ESPN didn't have such exclusive ownership of the broadcast rights. I really think the major players in sports (not the participants, I mean the muckymucks who pull the strings) have sold out the public by selling broadcasting rights to subscription-only broadcasters. It's only in recent years that this has happened. TV used to be totally free to anyone who had a TV and a wall to plug it into. The NFL is still largely on OTA TV, except for Monday Night and Thursday Night Football. At least the playoffs are OTA. NBA and MLB, nada.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
praytell: why were they not required to enter the tournament, year after year after year, like every other team? praytell. why were they absolved from 3-4 single elimination games, year after year after year, unlike every other team?

jesus fucking christ: you are a goddamn 3rd grader with all of your posts. I don't know if your brain worked but stopped working at some point in your life: but it's seriously compromised now, that's obvious.

You must be a homer Notre Dame fan or some bullshit like that. ...but: how can anyone listen to a guy like Bill Walton for more than 5 minutes and still agree that this no-talent ass clown should retain the authority to talk about....well, anything? How is that possible?
So you are a UCLA hater...we get that....but your arguments are those of a freaking fruit of the ,loom nutcase!! Until they NCAA takes away those Championships your crying falls upon deaf ears!! MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I don't see another thread for this, so why not start one?

Let's hope the second game is worth watching because the first one wasn't.
Lets hope the next thread you start is worth readg. Because this thread wasn`t!

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Funny, I was wondering. I don't think I saw him play on any level. He's big/tall. I heard a commentator the other day say that he was "the greatest player to ever play the college game." Yep, said that. As commentators do, they bantied this about a bit. I'm not crazy about Walton's behind the microphone personality. He's kind of zany, is my recollection. He does smile a lot. I can't fault him for smiling! A clown? Maybe.

People say this a lot about Bill Walton, but the truth is David Thompson was a much greater player in college. They have to say these things about Bill Walton because he was useless in the NBA. Thompson was actually great in the NBA until his knees gave out early on. :D

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I guess the NCAA basketball tournament was a different thing back then. It's changed a lot. It's pretty fabulous nowadays. Never fails to be exciting. I wish ESPN didn't have such exclusive ownership of the broadcast rights. I really think the major players in sports (not the participants, I mean the muckymucks who pull the strings) have sold out the public by selling broadcasting rights to subscription-only broadcasters. It's only in recent years that this has happened. TV used to be totally free to anyone who had a TV and a wall to plug it into. The NFL is still largely on OTA TV, except for Monday Night and Thursday Night Football. At least the playoffs are OTA. NBA and MLB, nada.

I think CBS has the rights to the NCAA tourney... Games have been on CBS, TBS, TNT, and stupid TruTV the past few years.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I think CBS has the rights to the NCAA tourney... Games have been on CBS, TBS, TNT, and stupid TruTV the past few years.
Yeah, and part of the reasoning is that they can't cram it all onto CBS. But when it gets down to the last few rounds (even the championship game!), they sell out to subscription channels, they could easily present those on OTA CBS itself. I hate them for that. Hear me, Jim Nance? One shining moment... in recent years only if your money is shiny enough.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That no fault of UCLA...…

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000

How?
How about UCLA wouldn't have even HAD those players if not for paying them in the first place?

Wooden wouldn't have won jack squat if he had coached Cal's roster all those years.
Yeah, he was a great coach, but he out-talented teams. Not to mention the previously mentioned fact that he practically had a bye to the Final Four every year to boot.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
People say this a lot about Bill Walton, but the truth is David Thompson was a much greater player in college. They have to say these things about Bill Walton because he was useless in the NBA. Thompson was actually great in the NBA until his knees gave out early on. :D
DT was better than Walton. Easily. Best ACC player ever, also.

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
I've never heard anyone say Walton was the greatest ever. Hell, he's not even the greatest UCLA player ever.
He was very good, no doubt. But there are loads of All Americans that aren't considered the best ever or even close to it.
You and I are, like, the same person.

2 nights ago was a frustrating, annoying, angry night, too. damn it all.
Just saw this, and yes.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
How?
How about UCLA wouldn't have even HAD those players if not for paying them in the first place?

Wooden wouldn't have won jack squat if he had coached Cal's roster all those years.
Yeah, he was a great coach, but he out-talented teams. Not to mention the previously mentioned fact that he practically had a bye to the Final Four every year to boot.
HAHAHAH another UCLA hater. Deal with it! Who the championships? UCLA!!!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I loved Wooden's full court press. I think Jerry Tarkanian used it to great effect. More coaches should employ it. It takes a deep & talented team to make it happen. If you want to dominate your conference, it's a great point of emphasis to guard your opponent intensely at all times.