2016 : Votes were altered. Hacked.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Did you notice the sourced links in the story? I see NYTimes, NBC, Time, Denver Post and Politico cited.

Do you have anything against the information provided?
I stopped reading when it was a source I had never heard of, talking about a conspiracy theory I haven't seen on mainstream sites, and had a blog style intro. You know, attempting to not fall to fake news just because of confirmation bias.

Reactions: SP33Demon

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
<<Curiosities are not confined to these two counties, however. Merrill said his office is looking into 22 instances of election issues in Montgomery. Twelve issues were reported at the polling location at ASU’s Acadome and 10 were reported at the Huntingdon College location.

Merrill said all probate offices utilizing the electronic poll book would eliminate human error in instances like these.
>>
This only further backs my point that there are allegations in every state of voter fraud. Don't be a cherry-picking ostrich, bro.
Anybody can make an allegation bro. When these cases of widespread in person fraud make it to court they lose every time.

In cases where there is actual fraud it amounts to statistically zero.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
For those who have confidence in our election system:
----------------------
At the 2017 Def Con computer security conference, perhaps the biggest gathering of hackers in the world, organizers challenged attendees to hack into a variety of 30 different voting machines used by election officials around the country.

Within 24 hours they hacked every one.

A 16-year-old hacker broke into as ExpressPoll voting machine used by Georgia in 45 minutes. Another cyberhacker showed how he could change votes in the WINvote machine used in Virginia, Pennsylvania and Mississippi, with only a computer, a mouse and a Microsoft Word document, as long as he had the password. But the hacker soon discovered that WINvote machines all had the same password.

The password, which could not be changed, was (you might want to take a deep breath) “abcde.”

------------------------

The truism often attributed (probably wrongly) to Stalin seems appropriate: “It’s not the people who vote that count. It’s the people who count the votes.”

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I stopped reading when it was a source I had never heard of, talking about a conspiracy theory I haven't seen on mainstream sites, and had a blog style intro. You know, attempting to not fall to fake news just because of confirmation bias.

So your wariness of confirmation bias led you to ignore the sources that weren't conspiracy stuff in a blog format?

In case you weren't aware, fake news isn't just false information itself, it's an effort to make you dismiss other valid sources of info. The right-wing echo chamber delights in the use of 'lying by omission,' I expect they appreciate it when you help out on your end by limiting your review of sources and dismissing data after barely a cursory review.

To be clear though, you don't consider the likes of NYTimes and NBC to be journalism-free conspiracy mills, right?

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
So your wariness of confirmation bias led you to ignore the sources that weren't conspiracy stuff in a blog format?

In case you weren't aware, fake news isn't just false information itself, it's an effort to make you dismiss other valid sources of info. The right-wing echo chamber delights in the use of 'lying by omission,' I expect they appreciate it when you help out on your end by limiting your review of sources and dismissing data after barely a cursory review.

To be clear though, you don't consider the likes of NYTimes and NBC to be journalism-free conspiracy mills, right?
I didn't not read it because I am some fox news lover, I didn't read it because it came off as a political blog with an agenda and I don't care if that agenda agrees or disagrees with my slant, I don't read slanted sources, especially ones pushing conspiracies. If this had been in NYT or NBC I would've read it all the first time. I stop reading when I start seeing a bunch of warning signs that a site likely has a bias and reads like a blog, if everyone did that fake news and shit posting news wouldn't be a thing.

I went back and read it, of the factual information there isn't anything new. He is trying to lead to a conclusion that is currently speculation, which is a big reason I generally don't read blogs and other non-journalistic websites.

That being said, it does raise valid issues with the voting process in the United States. All machines should have to produce a paper trail and there should be random audits of the machines. I've always thought electronic voting machines needed to go away and much prefer the scantron style (which could still be hacked, but removes a layer of hackability). Security needs to increase across the board, using the same terrible password on all devices is insanely stupid.

Georgia wiping their servers is shady as hell and shouldn't be allowed, but there would be little benefit to changing votes in GA.

The fact republicans don't care about securing the machines, just shows the truth of their voter ID laws and voter roll purging policies.

Edit: Also the thread title is "2016: Vote were altered." Stating it as a fact. He then posted to a blog I'd never heard of. If this was actually a newly learned fact it would be all over the MSM, which is why I asked for a better source. It turns out that the OP was being misleading, or maybe he didn't understand that the author was speculating. Either way, this is another good reason to ignore biased blogs that present speculation.

Last edited:

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011
Every election has hacked votes. What about the story that about Democrat voter fraud in black counties in Alabama? Get real, it happens in every state just that only the stupid ones get caught.
https://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/07/alabama_investigating_absentee.html
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/38687642/voter-fraud-investigations-underway-in-2-al-counties
https://www.thenewamerican.com/usne...-alleged-in-heavily-democrat-alabama-counties

Wait, let's put aside if the stories are facts or not. You're saying it is ok if not get caught?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I didn't not read it because I am some fox news lover, I didn't read it because it came off as a political blog with an agenda and I don't care if that agenda agrees or disagrees with my slant, I don't read slanted sources, especially ones pushing conspiracies. If this had been in NYT or NBC I would've read it all the first time. I stop reading when I start seeing a bunch of warning signs that a site likely has a bias and reads like a blog, if everyone did that fake news and shit posting news wouldn't be a thing.

I went back and read it, of the factual information there isn't anything new. He is trying to lead to a conclusion that is currently speculation, which is a big reason I generally don't read blogs and other non-journalistic websites.

That being said, it does raise valid issues with the voting process in the United States. All machines should have to produce a paper trail and there should be random audits of the machines. I've always thought electronic voting machines needed to go away and much prefer the scantron style (which could still be hacked, but removes a layer of hackability). Security needs to increase across the board, using the same terrible password on all devices is insanely stupid.

Georgia wiping their servers is shady as hell and shouldn't be allowed, but there would be little benefit to changing votes in GA.

The fact republicans don't care about securing the machines, just shows the truth of their voter ID laws and voter roll purging policies.

Edit: Also the thread title is "2016: Vote were altered." Stating it as a fact. He then posted to a blog I'd never heard of. If this was actually a newly learned fact it would be all over the MSM, which is why I asked for a better source. It turns out that the OP was being misleading, or maybe he didn't understand that the author was speculating. Either way, this is another good reason to ignore biased blogs that present speculation.

Good to hear, even if I don't understand your skepticism here with Georgia after what's been confirmed with Arizona and Illinois. I guess Time or Bloomberg isn't journalism to you. Whatever.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

True that, except for the additional NSA doc referenced from intercept.com.
Seth is running with this too now.
https://twitter.com/sethabramson
Much of the stuff he has been taking flak for has eventually turned out to be true... But, as always, venture forth at your own risc.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
Why can't we use Bush v. Gore equal protection ruling? It's ludicrous that places like Georgia are able to have such a **** system that could fuck with the rest of the nation and potentially favor one party over the other.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Good to hear, even if I don't understand your skepticism here with Georgia after what's been confirmed with Arizona and Illinois. I guess Time or Bloomberg isn't journalism to you. Whatever.
The OP was making a major claim and gave a link to a website I hadn't heard of before. I didn't really notice the source at first because I generally trust the OP, but once I started reading I realized it was a blog, which is why I asked if he had a major source (after reading the whole thing I also realized the source wasn't claiming it as a fact as presented by the OP). I read both Time and Bloomberg, not my favorites, but I trust both of them to be tied to facts without me double checking everything. I don't read HuffPo though. But this is really a dumb debate, people ask for better/different sources all the time on here.

As far as changing votes in GA. I think it is possible, but I don't see what the benefit would've been, except as a proof of concept. As a proof of concept, it does actually make a lot of sense, change a few thousands votes here and there and see if anyone notices on races people aren't really looking at closely.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The case in Georgia can't be definitively decided because the State of Georgia disappeared whatever evidence there might have been. Poof! Gone!

The demonstrated ease of hacking their system is simply intolerable as is the lack of parallel verification from an actual paper trail. It's invitation to malfeasance.

Reactions: dank69

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
The case in Georgia can't be definitively decided because the State of Georgia disappeared whatever evidence there might have been. Poof! Gone!

The demonstrated ease of hacking their system is simply intolerable as is the lack of parallel verification from an actual paper trail. It's invitation to malfeasance.
So you're saying they took a cue from the Hillary Rodham team? /chuckle

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Blog author does a fair bit of speculating, but I'd like to see him speculate as why anybody would bother hacking GA because I don't see how it could have even the slightest effect unless it was a large number of votes that were changed. And if Hillary won GA everyone would know it was bogus.

I don't see how hacking GA makes any sense.

Fern

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Given the security of the electoral process, and that fact that it is the basis of our stable, functioningdemocracy, it is absolutely insane that there isn't a federal agency tasked with securing the validity of our process. None of the 50 flavors of incompetence should be tolerated.

Centralize the process and the systems, make it auditable.

Reactions: dank69

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Blog author does a fair bit of speculating, but I'd like to see him speculate as why anybody would bother hacking GA because I don't see how it could have even the slightest effect unless it was a large number of votes that were changed. And if Hillary won GA everyone would know it was bogus.

I don't see how hacking GA makes any sense.

Fern

The objective of tampering would be to decide competitive down ballot races.

Last edited: