2014 study: 63% of non-citizen households used welfare programs. 50% of those are illegals.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You explain this thinking all the other countries have the technology we have. They dont.

That said, as Ive said in several other threads through the years, I'd be all for a 10-15% cut across the board for military, were it to placed wisely.

Yup, our military budget is bloated and there is fat that I'm sure could be trimmed while still having a strong and capable military. I don't think many would argue against that here.

But, what puzzles me is how we all agree there is room for saving money in the military budget, there is also room to save money by not giving away billions of dollars in aid to illegal aliens... but some argue against that. It doesn't make sense.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You explain this thinking all the other countries have the technology we have. They dont.

That said, as Ive said in several other threads through the years, I'd be all for a 10-15% cut across the board for military, were it to placed wisely.

It comes down to whether or not you want the US to be able to project power anywhere in the world on short notice. If you do, that’s very, very expensive. If you don’t, we can cut military spending by 50%.

Personally I’m always surprised at conservatives who claim to hate military adventurism not getting on board with massive cuts. Can’t start a war half a world away if you don’t have the means.

Reactions: esquared

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
No one is against immigration. Illegal immigration is another story. I love that we're a melting pot. I don't like giving illegals my tax dollars, though. And this thread proves that is happening way too much.

False, Republicans are increasingly attempting to stop legal immigration as well:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/republicans-oppose-legal-illegal-immigration/index.html

With last week's vote in the House of Representatives on hardline immigration legislation from GOP Rep. Bob Goodlatte of Virginia, about three-fourths of Republicans in both the House and Senate have voted this year to cut legal immigration by about 40%. That would represent, by far, the largest reduction in legal immigration since Congress voted in 1924 to virtually shut off immigration for the next four decades.

40%. That’s how completely insane the Republican Party has gone. Here’s hoping they regain even some small semblance of sanity soon.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Another fun fact, the US relies on immigration as our birth rate is currently at sub-replacement level, meaning we will be facing declining resources for those older people as they come to rely on an ever-shrinking working age population. Just when we really need a huge influx of immigrants we have a political party that has gone insane and decided the best way to do it is wall ourselves off and slowly wither.

Yeh, but right wing billionaires are doing great. Never better.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
False, Republicans are increasingly attempting to stop legal immigration as well:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/06/26/politics/republicans-oppose-legal-illegal-immigration/index.html

40%. That’s how completely insane the Republican Party has gone. Here’s hoping they regain even some small semblance of sanity soon.

Someone has to try and stop the Democrats retard march towards open border welfare state. Guess the Republicans want to save some money, given the topic of this thread.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Someone has to try and stop the Democrats retard march towards open border welfare state. Guess the Republicans want to save some money, given the topic of this thread.
Dude, you need to leave your bubble since it is not good to live in one.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

They just want to appease the haters, people like you.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
China is actually a pretty big threat with how fast and forceful they have been expanding in Asia. The South China Seas is something that is rarely talked about in the US News and it's a major issue as China continues to take over international waters, claiming it for their own. It'll become a major threat to international shipping and is evolving into a military stronghold for China as they create man-made islands and build military bases on them.

I do agree that there are many places where we can drastically cut our military spending. I think we should stop dumping useless dollars into the Middle East. They do not want us there, we do not want us there, just get the hell out of the Middle East. The right places to spend the money is supporting the defense of our European allies and our Asian allies. The extra money should be put elsewhere in our budget for our own people back home.
China is pretty much the only county that could invade us and have a decent chance of winning. They certainly have enough people.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
China is pretty much the only county that could invade us and have a decent chance of winning. They certainly have enough people.

No nation on earth could stand a chance at successfully invading the US, at least not without radical changes happening. The logistical issues alone would be a complete nightmare.

It wasn’t easy for the US to field and supply a few hundred thousand people in Iraq over uncontested waterways. China would have to field ten times as many over heavily contested waters. The US is essentially un-invadeable for the foreseeable future.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
No one is against immigration. Illegal immigration is another story. I love that we're a melting pot. I don't like giving illegals my tax dollars, though. And this thread proves that is happening way too much.

The solution to this is to streamline our immigration process so that more people use it. If our immigration process was reasonable people would not have to cross the border illegally.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Please. The waters between the Spratlys & the mainland are like the waters between the US & Hawaii. There's no reason to think that the Chinese see it differently.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Haha it’s funny to see the mental gymnastics happen in real time.

Spidey - ‘no one is against legal immigration!’

Me - ‘this year about 75% of republicans voted to cut legal immigration by 40%’

Spidey - ‘well they had to do it because the Democrats made them!!!!’

You can always tell when a conservative knows they are saying or doing something stupid or immoral because they will always blame liberals for making them do it instead of taking personal responsibility.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The solution to this is to streamline our immigration process so that more people use it. If our immigration process was reasonable people would not have to cross the border illegally.

That and the wall sounds like a plan.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No nation on earth could stand a chance at successfully invading the US, at least not without radical changes happening. The logistical issues alone would be a complete nightmare.

It wasn’t easy for the US to field and supply a few hundred thousand people in Iraq over uncontested waterways. China would have to field ten times as many over heavily contested waters. The US is essentially un-invadeable for the foreseeable future.

Lincoln knew that at the end of the Civil War.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Haha it’s funny to see the mental gymnastics happen in real time.

Spidey - ‘no one is against legal immigration!’

Me - ‘this year about 75% of republicans voted to cut legal immigration by 40%’

Spidey - ‘well they had to do it because the Democrats made them!!!!’

You can always tell when a conservative knows they are saying or doing something stupid or immoral because they will always blame liberals for making them do it instead of taking personal responsibility.

Blah blah blah 'publicans blah blah blame blah blah retard blah blah.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That and the wall sounds like a plan.

Do that and I doubt you will need a wall. The wall is probably too expensive for what is saves us. You don't just have to build a wall, you have to maintain and man it. A wall by itself is trivial to circumvent, so someone has to be watching it at all times or it is all but pointless.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Do that and I doubt you will need a wall. The wall is probably too expensive for what is saves us. You don't just have to build a wall, you have to maintain and man it. A wall by itself is trivial to circumvent, so someone has to be watching it at all times or it is all but pointless.

I'm all for improving our vetting process and making it easier for the right people to come here. I have friends from Mexico, England, and St. Martin that have immigrated here legally, the process is long, there can be significant costs involved, and there are hoops to jump through. That helps and is needed, but the wall is still needed for those that will walk across the border, the low hanging fruit.

But it is funny to hear the side that argues for gun free zones (they do nothing) say that the wall isn't effective enough to put in place. BUILD THE WALL MR. TRUMP.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
But it is funny to hear the side that argues for gun free zones (they do nothing) say that the wall isn't effective enough to put in place. BUILD THE WALL MR. TRUMP.

My argument is not that walls don't work, it is that to use them properly they are an expensive solution. How much do we really need to spend on the low hanging fruit. The majority of illegal immigrants do not cross the border in the places that the wall would be built. They come across at official crossings, with our government's blessing, then overstay their welcome. A wall will not stop that, so is it really worth spending that much money yearly on a wall that will not fix the problem it was built to fix?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Why are the democrats so defensive? Is it because they lost the presidential election still? Get over it already and become one nation under God again.

never going to happen until the minority party actually cedes to the will of the people instead of repeatedly cheating their way into power.

Until then, fuck off you brainless fascist stooge.

Reactions: whm1974

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Instead of pouting you could just admit you were wrong. I doubt you will do this.

I don't think you have shown what you think you have shown. Nothing wrong with legal immigration, wanting to monitor it or limit it doesn't mean people are against it. You think you proved when you in fact showed nothing.