2013 Honda Civic sedan - quick review

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
My 2010 Honda Fit was coming up on the lease end, so we traded it in early for another lease on a 2013 Honda Civic LX sedan. This is a quick review of the Civic, hopefully helpful to anyone looking into one!

Honda 101:

Honda has a really nice leasing program called Honda Advantage, which among other things includes a $1500 wear & tear waiver, GAP insurance, and no disposition (return fee):

http://automobiles.honda.com/hondaadvantage/

Since we were returning customers, we got a $350 credit towards any lease or purchase, and they had a March special of $500 off any car physically located at the dealership, so we came in with a total of $850 towards any add-ons we wanted, or could just roll it into the lease and use it to lower the monthly payment. Honda can also roll in the tax into your monthly bill, which is around $25 a month in my area (CT). The current offers are available here:

http://automobiles.honda.com/current-offers.aspx

The current Civic Sedan offers are here: (there's a really nice one for $0 down, $0 first month's payment, $240 a month for 35 months, and of course, no return fee)

http://automobiles.honda.com/curren...edan&offerid=68673&modelid=FB2F5DEW&sf=2&ft=1

The Civics come in both coupe and sedan flavors, each in 3 trims: LX, EX, and EX-L. All but the base LX model can also be equipped with optional in-dash navigation, if you don't like external GPS devices. The EX mainly adds a sunroof (plus slightly bigger/cooler rims & more speakers) and the EX-L adds leather. Comparison page is here:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/price.aspx

There is also the Civic Si model (201hp vs the stock 140hp) and the Civic Hybrid (110hp + 44 MPG city/highway, although the battery has had reliability issues).

Background:

My previous lease was the Fit Sport, which turned out to be a really great car. I needed something economical at the time with no down payment and it fit the bill nicely. It was zippy, tons of headroom, lots of configurable cargo space thanks to the "magic seats" (fold-up, fold-flat backseats), and great visibility. I averaged 32 MPG in it, so pretty decent gas mileage. We like compact cars, partly because they're really easy to park anywhere.

My lease on the Fit was coming up this summer and I was already over-mileage on my lease, so rather than paying for the extra miles, I did an early lease trade-in. My local dealership has really nice pull-ahead programs all the time, so I opted for that route. Basically just swapped keys and drove off with the Civic. Really easy, plus no car payment this month!

I had looked into the all-electric Nissan Leaf, but ultimately decided against it due to the range limitation. Other than that, I was pretty much looking for something under $300 a month, over 30 MPG, and with a 5-star safety rating. The Fit only got a 4-star safety rating, and although the newest version has Traction Control in the Sport model, it still only got 33 MPG, which isn't super great by today's standards (especially for such a small car). There's also something to be said about the safety of driving a larger car.

My wife and I both lease our cars. I have a Kia Soul and she had the Fit, although we swapped after we had our first baby in 2011 because the Hamstermobile was roomier for the carseat. So since this trade-in would end up going back to her, we were looking for something a bit larger. I checked out both the Nissan Altima and the Honda Accord. I really liked the Altima, but my wife wanted to keep a Honda in the family due to the awesome reliability we've had with them, and she also liked the compact size of the Civic more.

Car Review:

Today is Day 1 with the Civic, so I can't comment on long-term reliability or actual MPG yet, thus this is a quick review. I've pretty much settled on the Altima for when my Kia lease is up, so I went to check out the Honda Accord for my wife's car. Turns out the inside has shrunk compared to previous model years, and I found it too tight compared to the Altima. Especially coming from the Fit, which is amazingly roomy.

However, the Civic is another story. Honda redesigned it in 2012 (cheaped it out due to the bad economy) and it got terrible reviews. Not to be burned again, Honda redesigned the Civic for 2013 and loaded it up - even the base model comes with Bluetooth speakerphone & music streaming, a backup camera, Traction Control, USB/Aux jacks, and plenty of other stuff that makes it feel a lot nicer than a Civic should be. The next model up adds a sunroof (I love sunroofs), but it also tacked on $50 a month to the lease, and my wife didn't care one way or another. Neither of us like leather either, so we skipped that and used the $850 credit towards heated seats (they can install them on the cloth seats as an option) plus some money off each month.

The Bluetooth system is amazing. For starters, the system voice is a recording of a real person, not a text-to-speech robot system, so it sounds really nice (at least when doing setup, haha). Bluetooth call quality is excellent. To my surprise, Bluetooth audio streaming worked flawlessly with my iPhone 4S. I was able to use the iPod function as well as the MOG app with it, and the MOG app started playing again when I got back in the later, which was wicked cool. There is an aux jack in front of the shifter, and a USB port/charger inside the armrest console. The i-MID system (sort of like a cheapo Ford Sync system) also has the ability to handle SMS. There's no Siri button in the car for doing voice-to-text type of stuff, but I don't use that while driving anyway (or ever, haha). So anyway, quite happy with the Bluetooth system.

The audio system has what I'll call accurate sound. There's hardly any bass, but the treble is very clear, on the reference side of clarity. Probably great for podcasts, and my wife doesn't jam the speakers anyway with our kiddo in the car. Coming from the Fit, however, I was disappointed - the Fit Sport had a lot more vertical room in the car, which contributed to the stock audio sounding great, and had a way better sound system, enough to the point where if I had bought the car, I probably wouldn't have changed out the speakers (the Kia Soul is a different story, on the other hand - I have the upgraded stereo in mine and it's total garbage haha).

The car is extremely quiet inside. You can drive at freeway speeds and whisper and people can hear you (I know because I tried it lol). That helps out the audio system, because you get good, clear sound even on the highway. I also like not having a CVT in there (they kind of drive me nuts, even though the "gen 2" ones in the Nissans are much quieter now). Very quiet around town as well. I'm very pleased with how dampened the interior is against noise, much better than I would have thought for this type of car.

Driving is okay, as far as acceleration goes. The Fit was only 117hp, but it was a very zippy ride - fast off the line and the i-VTEC was really nice on the highway when you needed to get around somebody. Because the Civic is so smooth, you don't really notice the speed until you're already going too fast, and the VTEC still works pretty well on the highway. Steering is great - very smooth turning, and the perfect amount of roll - not a granny ride, but not a really stiff ride either. On flat stretches, the car feels like it's floating. You can tell it's a compact car when you hit potholes and stuff, however, but it's still got a decent suspension.

Style-wise, it's pretty boring. The upgraded models have nicer rims, which really helps the appearance, but ours is the base model with strange swirly hubcaps, so whatever. I prefer smaller rims because you get fatter tires, which gives a slightly smoother ride, and supposedly smaller tires give you a bit better gas mileage as well (as far as reading up on hypermileing and Pruis talk and stuff). The paintjob is pretty and it has the potential to be cool-looking with better rims and a spoiler, but eh. It's sort of gone towards a Saturn type of styling:

http://i.imgur.com/f3fho6R.jpg

The interior is really interesting. It's very driver-oriented and looks fairly techie. The speedometer is digital and the tach is analog, behind the steering wheel. All of the controls are curved toward the driver, which is kind of cool, but also kind of annoying if the passenger is controlling the music because they have to lean in to see the small color screen next to the speedometer. Her'es an inside shot - everything is kind of layered:

http://i.imgur.com/5a5LTTs.jpg

The steering wheel is surprisingly small. I like larger ones that fill up the space more. There is a significant lack of cupholders...I think the Fit had like 10 cupholders and the Civic seems to only have a pair in the center console. Not many little nooks & crannies to store stuff in this car. I did like the interior stitching...it's kind of a stitching around the hard plastic, which looks a bit nicer than just plastic. Build quality is great, everything feels rock-solid in the typical Honda fashion.

The trunk is spacious - actually very roomy given the smaller size of the car. One annoyance is that there is no trunk button - you have to hold down the trunk pop button on the key for a few seconds to get it to spring open. Handy, but I'm just not used to that yet I guess.

I'd rate visibility as fair to good. The Fit had great visibility, partly due to having a ridiculous amount of headroom. The Civic is more slopey and has less glass, and the B-pillar is like two or three times as thick as I've seen it on other cars, so it's a bit annoying to bounce your head around it when looking over to merge. The sideview mirrors are strangely small as well. So not totally horrible, but I think the visibility could definitely be better. Still, way way better than my Kia Soul, which has terrible blind spots

The headroom issue is interesting. It's got a sportier design (very sloped front windshield) and it seems like you don't have much headroom, but you actually do - I'm 6' 1" and I had about 6" from my forehead to the roof lining. It feels cozier than it actually is, especially coming from a Fit, which was extremely tall inside.

The seats slope back quite a bit. You're kind of like a bro cruising around in it. The seats have a nice little grip and are comfortable. I'm used to sitting almost straight up in the Fit though, so the seating style is a pretty big change for me. Coupled with the small steering wheel, I'm still working on finding my optimal driving position. The left armrest on the door also is at perfect knee-whacking height for me (most cars are, although the Altima's didn't bother me), so I found that a little bit annoying too, although I adjusted after driving it for awhile. So you're kind of leaning back in the seat, and have a large B-pillar, and smallish sideview mirrors, so you have to kind of adapt to that for driving safely. Easy to get you used to tho, and a fair bit better than the Kia Soul's visibility issues.

I'm anxious to see the actual MPG as I go through a few tanks of gas. Honda advertises 28 city, 39 highway - my Soul gets 27 highway in practice, so even the city MPG is better! It has a 13.2-gallon tank, so in theory it has a city range of about 370 miles and a highway range of roughly 515 miles. I'd like it to be even longer for convenience (the Altima gets over 680 highway miles per tank, based on 38 MPG advertised), but either way it should beat both the Soul and the Fit, which both got around 300 miles before needing a fill-up.

The safety features are nice. One of the things we wanted was a 5-star safety rating, primarily because we have a baby now and are thinking about a second one, but didn't want to go with a large van or SUV. Apparently the 2013 Civic is the first compact car to get an IHS top safety pick, which is great because we can get the MPG & parking benefits of a smaller car, but still be fairly safe:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money...s-crash-test-honda-civic-lincoln-mkz/1969873/

Overall, great little machine. Much more car than I would have expected in the class (compact) and especially for the price. I also got a really nice deal on it and have a great local dealership (very rare in the car world, in my experience) - second time leasing with them and it probably won't be the last. I was 4,000 miles over on my Fit lease (40k on a 36k plan) with 4 months left to go, so I wanted to get out of it early to avoid getting dinged with the over-mileage fees; they ignored the miles and swapped me out without any penalty (iirc they assessed it at above KBB value, so it worked out in my favor this time!). Very pleased with that, plus no return fee, so I basically got a new car and skipped this month's lease payment, excellent!

Fire away if you have any questions. I'll try to remember to post some updates down the road, especially on the actual MPG I'm getting. There's an "Eco" button now which turns the engine into slug mode and lets you get better mileage - the dealership mentioned that some customers are getting into the 40-42. So driving in wuss mode (I think it basically cuts down your engine power/shifting/climate control) will give you a little boost MPG-wise - I'll try the two and compare, since I'll be driving the car initially and my daily commute is almost entirely highway. Downside is you have to remember to turn it on every time; it doesn't have a memory feature. Neat to have it though.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Update a couple days in - getting 30 MPG mixed city/highway. I'll be doing highway on it mostly for the next several weeks, so hopefully that will improve. It's also fairly cold right now, not sure how much that would affect the mileage.

I've noticed that at 70 MPH or higher, I start getting steering wheel vibration, like the alignment is off or something. I can feel it in the gas pedal, too. At 69 MPH or under, no issue. Not sure if the wheels are off-balance or what. It doesn't feel like a heavy shake like when you need an alignment though - sort of weird.

I'm a tad worried about the heated seats. After they've been on for about 10 minutes, there is a very noticeable burning smell. I haven't seen any smoke, but it gets bad enough that I shut it off. I'm not sure if they just need a break-in period to sort of outgas the seats or something or what. They also seem to heat up in phases...it will get hot, then fade out, then get hot, then fade out. I'm not sure if this is by design, or if they're defective. That's typically what heating pads do for your back - get really hot for a bit then chill out, then get hot again in waves. They were installed as a Honda option into the fabric seats, so they didn't come stock.

Very impressed with the quietness of the car. Almost feels like I'm in a museum haha. It's a very smooth ride. I'd like to see how it handles on a windy day - going up & down I-91 usually bounced my Fit around when the wind was really blowing, so I'll see if the Civic is heavy enough to handle it or not.

I'm still adjusting to the digital display, like the speedometer. I have to adjust the brightness dial for day/night driving - it's too dim in the daylight to see how fast I'm going, so I have to brighten it up, but at night, it becomes way too bright and I have to dial it down. I'll have to look through the manual and see if there is an auto-adjust feature for ambient lighting levels or time of day or something.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I considered a Civic before I bought my CR-Z. Obviously I didn't buy one but it seemed nice. It annoyed me that it was nearly impossible to find an EX with an MT even with dozens of dealers here in SoCal.

I'm pretty sure your dealer installed an aftermarket seat heater kit. I've never seen Honda offer that combo, even as a dealer installed accessory. I would definitely complain about that.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I considered a Civic before I bought my CR-Z. Obviously I didn't buy one but it seemed nice. It annoyed me that it was nearly impossible to find an EX with an MT even with dozens of dealers here in SoCal.

I'm pretty sure your dealer installed an aftermarket seat heater kit. I've never seen Honda offer that combo, even as a dealer installed accessory. I would definitely complain about that.

Yeah, they're doing a follow-up phone call this week, so I'll note that and the vibration issue. Other than that, it's a great little car. Reminds me of my old Saturn ION sedan, only nicer - typical Honda build quality.

How do you like your CR-Z? I had no idea that style was still made until I saw it at the dealership the other day! And as far as the 2013 Civic sedan goes, I think the MT is only available on the LX now - they don't even list MT as an available option on the EX or EX-L:

http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-sedan/specifications.aspx

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
You can get a EX coupe with an MT which is fine but still hard to find. Its my commuter car so having a back seat doesn't much matter.

CR-Z has been great. I've had it almost 2 years, put over 25k on it and I average about 40mpg. Its also at least somewhat fun to drive. But I'm sure I wouldn't like it with the CVT. I generally can't stand auto transmissions. Its also relatively quiet and while it doesn't have all the interior gizmos your car does at least the BT works well (hands free only, doesn't stream audio). It has worked out well for me.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
You can get a EX coupe with an MT which is fine but still hard to find. Its my commuter car so having a back seat doesn't much matter.

CR-Z has been great. I've had it almost 2 years, put over 25k on it and I average about 40mpg. Its also at least somewhat fun to drive. But I'm sure I wouldn't like it with the CVT. I generally can't stand auto transmissions. Its also relatively quiet and while it doesn't have all the interior gizmos your car does at least the BT works well (hands free only, doesn't stream audio). It has worked out well for me.

I prefer stick, but I have to cross no less than 5 highways/turnpikes on my commute to work, so I sit in traffic a lot. I think my left leg grew about twice the size back in my stick-shift days haha. Plus, the auto tranny on the Civic sedan actually gets better advertised MPG than the stick shift, which is a first that I've seen.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I took a mileage "hit" from going MT as well but frankly I don't care so much about that. Its a huge improvement over my last car so I'm not complaining. And the part that annoys me about traffic is...traffic! MT vs AT isn't going to make me any happier....maybe more likely to take a nap!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I took a mileage "hit" from going MT as well but frankly I don't care so much about that. Its a huge improvement over my last car so I'm not complaining. And the part that annoys me about traffic is...traffic! MT vs AT isn't going to make me any happier....maybe more likely to take a nap!

Yeah, I'm only driving this for a couple months until my other car is off-lease, then my wife gets this one. I'm looking at the 2013 Altima for my next lease, which isn't even offered in manual anymore. So sad :(

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Can't have it both ways. Its not offered with MT yet you didn't buy a car with MT. Vicious cycle ;) I would buy an Accord Sport MT in a heartbeat if I needed a midsize sedan.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

In Canada, heat is standard on leather seats only so I think you are right. And they're only available on EXL.

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
My mini review...from a passengers stand point.

It is still a downgrade over the model two generations ago. I don't know how to compare it to last gen though.

Terrible headroom and seat room. The sloping front windshield does not help with head room. I also had the seat all the way back and still felt like a sardine (I'm 6'0"). With the seat back my wife (5'4"ish) could hardly fit in the back seat behind me. When looking at the leg room there is maybe 4-5" of space between the thigh support and the front seat.

The driver side still looks like it is trying to be a cheap knockoff airplane.

The LCD screen where you can put pictures is bound to cause an accident or two. The whole "cockpit" is too busy for me.

The steering wheel is covered in buttons galore.

The seats were very firm for my liking.

What is with Honda and that small triangle of unmovable glass between the A-frame and the door window?

Fit > Civic

My background..I had a two door Geo Metro, Scion tC, Ford Focus ZX4, and Toyota Rav4. So I have owned from the most economical car to entry level SUV. Sadly, I think the Geo felt more spacious and the seats were on par with the Civics.

I was really hoping for a good revival with this Civic. We will be updating our econo-car in a few years and I had high expectations for the Civic. Right now there is plenty of great competition in this price point so I can remove the Civic from my list at this point.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000

It is still a downgrade over the model two generations ago. I don't know how to compare it to last gen though.

Terrible headroom and seat room. The sloping front windshield does not help with head room. I also had the seat all the way back and still felt like a sardine (I'm 6'0"). With the seat back my wife (5'4"ish) could hardly fit in the back seat behind me. When looking at the leg room there is maybe 4-5" of space between the thigh support and the front seat.

The driver side still looks like it is trying to be a cheap knockoff airplane.

The LCD screen where you can put pictures is bound to cause an accident or two. The whole "cockpit" is too busy for me.

The steering wheel is covered in buttons galore.

The seats were very firm for my liking.

What is with Honda and that small triangle of unmovable glass between the A-frame and the door window?

Fit > Civic

My background..I had a two door Geo Metro, Scion tC, Ford Focus ZX4, and Toyota Rav4. So I have owned from the most economical car to entry level SUV. Sadly, I think the Geo felt more spacious and the seats were on par with the Civics.

I was really hoping for a good revival with this Civic. We will be updating our econo-car in a few years and I had high expectations for the Civic. Right now there is plenty of great competition in this price point so I can remove the Civic from my list at this point.

Bizarre findings. My 2011 Civic is huge inside.
I am 6'1" and the drivers seat is great, and passenger room both front and back is ample for a car in its class. Something like a Focus shouldn't even have rear doors the legroom is so small, the Civic is spacious as can be inside, even the trunk.
I agree the little triangle window is weird, but who cares.

I do like the fact that the 8th gen (my car) has less shit on the dash though. No LCD screens stock (I installed a NAV unit) and only cruise control on the steering wheel. Nice and simple, the way a Civic should be.

MixMasterTang

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2001
I am 6'1" and the drivers seat is great, and passenger room both front and back is ample for a car in its class. Something like a Focus shouldn't even have rear doors the legroom is so small, the Civic is spacious as can be inside, even the trunk.

I do like the fact that the 8th gen (my car) has less shit on the dash though. No LCD screens stock (I installed a NAV unit) and only cruise control on the steering wheel. Nice and simple, the way a Civic should be.

So, you are saying a focus shouldn't even have rear doors because it is so small inside? What's funny is looking at the specs of a 2011 Civic the back seats are smaller in every way compared to a Focus (current model).

tuxberg

Mar 18, 2013

Agreed.

The 6th gen civics are a gold standard and current year models don't do the lineage justice.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
In Canada, heat is standard on leather seats only so I think you are right. And they're only available on EXL.

Yup, heated seats were an EX-L option with leather seats, but they had it as an option on the lower models to be added into (cargo net, weatherproof mats, heated seats, etc.). Not a fan of leather seats, so I'm glad they could do it on the cloth seats :thumbsup:

Provided it doesn't burn my car up :p

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
I am 6'1" and the drivers seat is great, and passenger room both front and back is ample for a car in its class.

Agreed, I am 6' 1" and can sit comfortably in the 2013 Civic sedan. It's snug, but not tight - I have plenty of room to stretch my arms out, which is nice. I have about half a foot of headroom from my forehead to the top lip of the windshield, so it's closer than I'm used to, but not as tight as say a new Camaro (sat in one with a sunroof, my hair was touching the ceiling haha).

Also got some wind on the highway today. Definitely not as bouncy as the Fit was, has more of a bob to it. Not as road-stable as my Kia Soul or the Altima I took out, but not bad. I do have to keep a hand on the wheel (well, regardless) to keep it straight though.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Fit > Civic

We both miss our Fit already. If it was a 5-star safety rated car, I would have gotten another one (got the Civic instead of a van for the family, so child safety was more of a focus for this one). And if it had gotten better gas mileage. Loved the visibility, loved the headroom, loved the zippy speed, loved the versatile seats.

I am glad we are leasing (not buying) the Civic though! If I end up going with an Altima when my lease is up this summer, I'll see how they compare. The price difference is only ~$25 a month and the Altima and I feel like the Altima is closer to a full-size than a mid-size car.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

Apparently that little fixed window costs more than the entire door window, so if you have to exit the car in a pinch, don't break it!! ;)

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002

Of course it is just my opinion on the newest Civic. I have not driven the vehicle so I cannot comment on the driver side other than the visual aspect. I also have weird opinions on somethings. Like...why have a tach on an auto? Why do I need so many displays to take me away from the road? Give me a speedo and leave the other stuff until something needs attention and then give me a warning or something.

The legroom (seat to bench) is about the same in the Focus we have (2005) and the new Civic.

I have not gotten to see the trunk so I will not comment on that.

The LCD..you can upload your choice of pictures. I can see this being a distraction for those teen drivers who would mess with it. It can flip between MPG info and the picture. I jokingly told my father in law that the picture part was distracting. I think I offended him because then he said "Fine...is this better?!" and flipped it to MPG. lol

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Apparently that little fixed window costs more than the entire door window, so if you have to exit the car in a pinch, don't break it!! ;)

OH! That is something else my wife and I discussed. If the car was sinking..I don't think a majority of Americans (me included) could fit through the front or back door windows!

It creeped us out as we talked about it. lol

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Agreed, I am 6' 1" and can sit comfortably in the 2013 Civic sedan. It's snug, but not tight - I have plenty of room to stretch my arms out, which is nice. I have about half a foot of headroom from my forehead to the top lip of the windshield, so it's closer than I'm used to, but not as tight as say a new Camaro (sat in one with a sunroof, my hair was touching the ceiling haha).

Now you are getting into cars you EXPECT to hit your head in.

It makes me think of Shaq trying to tell me Buicks are roomy in their commercials when he cannot even fit his legs in the area with the pedals without sitting fetal.

168606.jpg

crabbyman

Jul 24, 2002
Man, you really are crabby.

lol. On this topic, not really.

I am just voicing my opinion that I just personally would put my money elsewhere.

I am happy the OP is enjoying his new vehicle. :) To each his own, right?

People make fun of the Geo Metro I drove, but I enjoyed it more than the Focus I "inherited" from my wife.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Of course it is just my opinion on the newest Civic. I have not driven the vehicle so I cannot comment on the driver side other than the visual aspect. I also have weird opinions on somethings. Like...why have a tach on an auto? Why do I need so many displays to take me away from the road? Give me a speedo and leave the other stuff until something needs attention and then give me a warning or something.

Yeah I thought it was kind of silly to have a digital speedometer with an analog tach.

Funny story - my sales rep told me an older couple had driven their Civic into their service center a couple weeks ago after buying it new, saying it was defective. For some reason, the top speed on the analog "speedometer" was only showing 7 MPH :biggrin: