2013 best conservatve moments:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
A trip down memory lane:

1. December was the month Republicans tried to regroup and come up with a new plan for killing Obamacare. This would be different from all the other months in no way whatsoever, but I felt we needed to note it here for closure's sake.

2. On the other hand, House Republicans begrudgingly agreed that perhaps the United States of America needed a budget after all. That should easily be the biggest story of the entire year—certainly less predictable than the September-October collapse of the government entirely—but Congress, pundits and reporters alike were just too tired to even care anymore.

3. Fox News "serious news person" Megyn Kelly unleashed a week of mockery for her assertion to the Fox News "kids watching" that "Jesus was a white man," "as is Santa." She even did a special segment on all the people making fun of her and what that might mean.

4. California Republicans created and promoted a fake healthcare website patterned to look like the California exchange, but which instead discouraged visitors from obtaining coverage. That may top the list of worst things any political group has done this year, and that is saying something.

5. The Republican-led Michigan legislature passed a bill requiring the removal of abortion coverage from most state and private health insurance; those wishing the procedure to be covered would be required to obtain prior, separate coverage via riders that critics are calling " Rape Insurance."

6. The death of Nelson Mandela was a tragedy; the reaction in many quarters was a farce. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz was widely excoriated by his conservative fans when he posted a brief message honoring Mandela to his Facebook page; that paled in comparison to the conservative media outrage that erupted when President Obama, attending the funeral, shook the Cuban president's hand.

7. A conspiracy theory claiming Obama was "closing the American embassy to the Vatican" quickly reached even the heights of the Republican Party, with both the NRSC and Jeb Bush weighing in on the supposed outrage.

8. The New York Post makes this roundup for a second time, this time for a widely blasted editorial against improving conditions for the homeless. Ye Gods—if it weren't for Richard Cohen's two credible efforts, that one would be a shoe-in for Worst Editorial of the Year. It may still deserve the win.

And with that, a Happy New Year.

http://www.alternet.org/8-most-absurd-things-right-wing-did-year

TheSiege

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2004
If you are going to bash on a group of people at least spell conservative correctly.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It weird that you'd put together a list like that. Do you think someone reads it and thinks "I gota switch teams, these guys are horrible"? Or is it just the joy of pointing out the gaffs and wrongdoing of others that gives you pleasure?

I'm honestly curious about the thought process that lead to posting this, and what result you hoped to achieve.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
It says conservative in the title, but 6 out of 8 of the bullet points mention republican.

I'm still trying to find the conservatives.

JockoJohnson

Golden Member
May 20, 2009
A trip down memory lane:

1. December was the month Republicans tried to regroup and come up with a new plan for killing Obamacare. This would be different from all the other months in no way whatsoever, but I felt we needed to note it here for closure's sake.

2. On the other hand, House Republicans begrudgingly agreed that perhaps the United States of America needed a budget after all. That should easily be the biggest story of the entire year—certainly less predictable than the September-October collapse of the government entirely—but Congress, pundits and reporters alike were just too tired to even care anymore.

3. Fox News "serious news person" Megyn Kelly unleashed a week of mockery for her assertion to the Fox News "kids watching" that "Jesus was a white man," "as is Santa." She even did a special segment on all the people making fun of her and what that might mean.

4. California Republicans created and promoted a fake healthcare website patterned to look like the California exchange, but which instead discouraged visitors from obtaining coverage. That may top the list of worst things any political group has done this year, and that is saying something.

5. The Republican-led Michigan legislature passed a bill requiring the removal of abortion coverage from most state and private health insurance; those wishing the procedure to be covered would be required to obtain prior, separate coverage via riders that critics are calling " Rape Insurance."

6. The death of Nelson Mandela was a tragedy; the reaction in many quarters was a farce. Republican Sen. Ted Cruz was widely excoriated by his conservative fans when he posted a brief message honoring Mandela to his Facebook page; that paled in comparison to the conservative media outrage that erupted when President Obama, attending the funeral, shook the Cuban president's hand.

7. A conspiracy theory claiming Obama was "closing the American embassy to the Vatican" quickly reached even the heights of the Republican Party, with both the NRSC and Jeb Bush weighing in on the supposed outrage.

8. The New York Post makes this roundup for a second time, this time for a widely blasted editorial against improving conditions for the homeless. Ye Gods—if it weren't for Richard Cohen's two credible efforts, that one would be a shoe-in for Worst Editorial of the Year. It may still deserve the win.

And with that, a Happy New Year.

http://www.alternet.org/8-most-absurd-things-right-wing-did-year

What mental disorder do you have?

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

Didn't Democrats operate for years without passing a budget? :confused:

At least she doesn't think Santa is a penguin.

Given that the vast vast VAST majority of abortions have nothing to do with rape it seems like critics are just using rape victims as a means to extort coverage for their elective surgeries. Using rape victims to promote your political agenda seems pretty immoral.

Nelson Mandela was 90+ years old. I don't think you know what the word tragedy means.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
It weird that you'd put together a list like that. Do you think someone reads it and thinks "I gota switch teams, these guys are horrible"? Or is it just the joy of pointing out the gaffs and wrongdoing of others that gives you pleasure?

I'm honestly curious about the thought process that lead to posting this, and what result you hoped to achieve.

Among the many traditional wisdoms that have come down to us from ancient times, there is one such also, a sentimentality of kinds perhaps based on our self reflective awareness of the epidermal nature of our lives, that whenever one year cycles into the next a tribute of sorts is paid to its passage, an homage of retrospection, as it were, and the purpose of which is to mnemonically fix for posterity, that they might not repeat all those mistakes which are the inevitable lot of this mortal coil to suffer caused by the conservative brain defect. And so it came to pass, that on the night of the New Year's Eve, I chanced upon just this one of these, the one so posted above and even provided a link so that none should think I claimed such prodigious creativity for myself, and without the slightest thought, pondering, or stewing, the quality of the list being imminently clear, I posted it without ado, with the knowledge that each would take from it, according to his or her capacity, all the wisdom each could carry.

row

May 28, 2013
i guess what stuck out most for me with regards to conservatives was their attempt to prohibit berrie and his buttbuddies from intentionally shutting down the government.

Responding to the people's will, House Republicans first voted to fund all of government -- except Obamacare. Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

Then the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but merely delay the implementation of Obamacare for one year. Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

Finally, the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but added a requirement that everyone live under Obamacare. No more special waivers for Congress and their staff, and no waivers for big business without the same waivers for individuals.

Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

in the mean time we had watched the senate reject berries 2011 budget by a very close 97 - 0. the progressive controlled senate saw the error of their ways, so in 2012 to rectify their previous unpardonable lapse of cohesiveness, voted 99 - 0, the house was much closer though, 414 - 0.

of course we know math is hard for liberals, could be one reason they were intellectually devastated, finding it too emotionally traumatic to pass a budget for three years (ok 1,065 daze). but, hey, they finally found the strength and produced their 1st budget in 4 years in 2013. unfortunately those leftist up for reelection found it to their political benefit to duck (hahahah) and vote present. no matter, the vote wasn't even close, and overwhelming 51 - 49!

with the midterm elections right around the corner it will interesting to see if the senates regressive's can hold any of the 23 seats that are on the line.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
i guess what stuck out most for me with regards to conservatives was their attempt to prohibit berrie and his buttbuddies from intentionally shutting down the government.

Responding to the people's will, House Republicans first voted to fund all of government -- except Obamacare. Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

Then the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but merely delay the implementation of Obamacare for one year. Obama refused to negotiate and Senate Democrats refused to pass it.

Finally, the Republicans voted to fully fund the government, but added a requirement that everyone live under Obamacare. No more special waivers for Congress and their staff, and no waivers for big business without the same waivers for individuals.

You forgot the part where healthcare.gov being such a failure Obama decided to delay the individual mandate for one year after all.^_^

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

in the mean time we had watched the senate reject berries 2011 budget by a very close 97 - 0. the progressive controlled senate saw the error of their ways, so in 2012 to rectify their previous unpardonable lapse of cohesiveness, voted 99 - 0, the house was much closer though, 414 - 0.

of course we know math is hard for liberals, could be one reason they were intellectually devastated, finding it too emotionally traumatic to pass a budget for three years (ok 1,065 daze). but, hey, they finally found the strength and produced their 1st budget in 4 years in 2013. unfortunately those leftist up for reelection found it to their political benefit to duck (hahahah) and vote present. no matter, the vote wasn't even close, and overwhelming 51 - 49!

with the midterm elections right around the corner it will interesting to see if the senates regressive's can hold any of the 23 seats that are on the line.

I always find it amazing just how quickly people are able to rewrite history. It only happened about a month and some ago and already conservatives have convinced themselves that Democrats, by not giving in to their demands to effectively repeal their signature legislation, were the ones responsible for shutting down the government.

Truly baffling levels of self delusion here. I'll have to remember next time someone takes hostages in some crime. If the police don't give the hostage taker what he demands, it's really their fault he's holding people hostage. Amazing logic.

BUnit1701

May 1, 2013
I always find it amazing just how quickly people are able to rewrite history. It only happened about a month and some ago and already conservatives have convinced themselves that Democrats, by not giving in to their demands to effectively repeal their signature legislation, were the ones responsible for shutting down the government.

Truly baffling levels of self delusion here. I'll have to remember next time someone takes hostages in some crime. If the police don't give the hostage taker what he demands, it's really their fault he's holding people hostage. Amazing logic.

Yea, how dare those elected representatives think they have any power to change legislation, that power is reserved for Dear Leader...

Sep 7, 2009
Has our Dear Leader and his family returned from their ultra-luxury exotic hawaii vacation yet?

Our long-term economic outlook is in the gutter due to his modern progressive policies which cater to his non-working voting bloc, meanwhile he and his family are going on multi million dollar exotic vacations.

I think it's hilarious how the lapdogs pander to our Dear Leader.

Nov 25, 2013
Has our Dear Leader and his family returned from their ultra-luxury exotic hawaii vacation yet?

Our long-term economic outlook is in the gutter due to his modern progressive policies which cater to his non-working voting bloc, meanwhile he and his family are going on multi million dollar exotic vacations.

I think it's hilarious how the lapdogs pander to our Dear Leader.

"As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total. He's spending this vacation in Martha's Vineyard with his family.

At the same point in his presidency — Aug. 13, 2005 — George W. Bush had made 51 visits to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas, totaling all or part of 335 days. (Note: Bush sometimes used the property to host world leaders.)

Bush also traveled seven times to his family’s oceanside compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, covering all or part of 26 days — bringing his total number of vacation days at this point in his presidency to 349 days. (335+26 doesn’t = 349, but remember the “all or part of” caveat.)

What about former President Bill Clinton? At this point in his second term, he had taken 11 vacations covering all or part of 84 days.

“The trips were mostly to Martha’s Vineyard or Jackson Hole, WY. Though he also spent a few days in Hilton Head for New Year’s and then to the Virgin Islands for a few days,” Knoller said in an email.

And former President Ronald Reagan? At this point in his second term he had made 29 trips to his ranch in California, spanning all or part of 180 days.

None of these figures includes visits to Camp David, the presidential retreat outside Washington, which Knoller does not consider vacation."

Source - http://news.yahoo.com/-obama’s-vacations-and-golfing-by-the-numbers--165241111.html

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yea, how dare those elected representatives think they have any power to change legislation, that power is reserved for Dear Leader...

What are you babbling about now? Of course they have power to attempt to change legislation. They lacked the ability to do so, but they have the power to try.

I'm just saying that they should own what they tried to do instead of running away from it and pretending it didn't happen. It's funny, in the first day or two of the shutdown there were Republicans talking about how happy they were to be shutting things down to fight the Evil Obamacare. Then when it turned into a disaster they are suddenly like "who, us?"

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
"As of Aug. 13, 2013, Obama is on his 15th vacation trip, covering all or part of 96 days total. He's spending this vacation in Martha's Vineyard with his family.

At the same point in his presidency — Aug. 13, 2005 — George W. Bush had made 51 visits to his ranch in tiny Crawford, Texas, totaling all or part of 335 days. (Note: Bush sometimes used the property to host world leaders.)

Bush also traveled seven times to his family’s oceanside compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, covering all or part of 26 days — bringing his total number of vacation days at this point in his presidency to 349 days. (335+26 doesn’t = 349, but remember the “all or part of” caveat.)

What about former President Bill Clinton? At this point in his second term, he had taken 11 vacations covering all or part of 84 days.

“The trips were mostly to Martha’s Vineyard or Jackson Hole, WY. Though he also spent a few days in Hilton Head for New Year’s and then to the Virgin Islands for a few days,” Knoller said in an email.

And former President Ronald Reagan? At this point in his second term he had made 29 trips to his ranch in California, spanning all or part of 180 days.

None of these figures includes visits to Camp David, the presidential retreat outside Washington, which Knoller does not consider vacation."

Source - http://news.yahoo.com/-obama’s-vacations-and-golfing-by-the-numbers--165241111.html

Conservative brain defectives have their own number counting system. They turn to zero any values that cause emotional pain for their egos, just as say, they change any moral duty to fund what was approved by congress instead of trying to extract old demands that were already rejected. Moral values are what they talk about but about which they know nothing.

Sep 7, 2009

At the same point in his presidency ................. <snip>

Do you really not understand the difference between bush or even clinton taking obvious working vacations to typical places with complete white house-style offices and working accommodations already setup, with 'typical' security requirements.... ..compared to our Dear Leader renting ultra exotic trendy resort plantations???

The cost differences between going to a historically 'regular' white house location such as camp david which is already ready to go versus our Dear Leader's ultra exotic vacations are astronomical. I could not care less about the actual days of vacation, particularly when most world leaders work on vacation...

Meanwhile our Dear Leader is sending tweets about how awesome his healthcare reform is going. What a frigging joke.

http://articles.mcall.com/2013-08-2...20_1_president-obama-vacation-travel-expenses

"
In 2011 Obama's travel expenses were $1.4 billion. (In comparison, the royal family of England travel cost only $57.8 million.) In addition, the Obama Christmas holiday was for 17 days, totaling $4 million. In contrast George W. Bush stayed nearby at Camp David over Christmas so his staff could enjoy the holidays with their families. President Ronald Reagan spent $1.3 million per year for travel.
This year is the worst, and it's only half over. The trip with his family to Africa has been predicted to exceed $100 million.
"

Sep 7, 2009
Conservative brain defectives have their own number counting system. They turn to zero any values that cause emotional pain for their egos, just as say, they change any moral duty to fund what was approved by congress instead of trying to extract old demands that were already rejected. Moral values are what they talk about but about which they know nothing.

A logical value system during these trying times is that of measurable results based on dollers.

Moonie what was your holiday vacation like? Did you get an ultra exotic resort with a 2.5 mile wide private beach?

Of course our Dear Leader needs a vacation, but this crap is so flamboyant and excessive. It's a smack in the face to the hard working people of the US. At least, for those of us who work.

obama.gif

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
An early contender for 2014 is when a conservative-in-denial posted a thread about the "2013 best conservatve moments".

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I'm a registered Republican, but the Democrats are no more bound to negotiate over Obamacare than are Republicans over their own sacred cows.

2013 best liberal moments:

almost spelling "conservatve" correctly
:D I noticed that too.

row

May 28, 2013
I'm a registered Republican, but the Democrats are no more bound to negotiate over Obamacare than are Republicans over their own sacred cows...

well if the democrats were unwilling to negotiate let them admit it, guess that was my point.

You forgot the part where healthcare.gov being such a failure Obama decided to delay the individual mandate for one year after all.^_^

there's also this part of it

The Logic of ObamaCare:

1) Who will pay for higher costs of providing care for the old, the sick, and those with pre-existing conditions? &#8230; Answer: the young and healthy.

2) But the young and healthy are generally poor, how will they pay for their premiums? &#8230;. Answer: they will be subsidized by the government.

3) But where does the money to subsidize the young come from? &#8230; Answer: We will take money ($700 BILLION) from Medicare (i.e. the old and the sick) to pay for the ObamaCare subsidies.

4) You&#8217;re going to take money from the old and the sick (under Medicare) to pay for the subsidies for the young and healthy, so that they in turn will pay for the old and the sick (under ObamaCare)? &#8230; Answer: Exactly &#8230; Oh, and we&#8217;re going to increase taxes and the health care premiums on the middle class too!

5) Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!!

Perception is Reality to this President.