2011 Subaru Forester 2.5L NA oil consumption

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AsianriceX

Golden Member
Dec 30, 2001
No obvious signs of leakage, e.g. puddle under the engine bay. No smell of burning oil. Almost certainly a matter of consumption and poor attention to oil. Remember this vehicle is a loaner, driven by those who take their cars to a dealership for service, including oil changes.

My particular circumstance is the well documented VAG BPY 2.0T cam follower failure. Dealer is replacing cam follower, HPFP, and intake camshaft, as well as changing oil courtesy of VWOA. At least one of the parts is apparently on backorder. I am thrilled that they gave me an AWD ride as winter is finally making it to Akron.

Out of curiosity, what VW do you have and how many miles were on it before it decided to eat the follower?

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Oil should have been changed at 3,000 and then at 7,500, so it apparently missed 2 oil changes.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/3genagement.dealer.images/general-images/subaru-oil-change-ad.png

EDIT, no it missed 3. Should have been changed again at 15,000.

I follow the heavy use schedule on my '11 Outback and change the oil every 3750 miles or so. It might be overkill, but my dealer writes an unlimited mileage powertrain warranty, and I don't want it rejected when I have issues at 200k miles :)

rdp6

May 14, 2007
Heh, this car will end up at auction and sold through some dealer as a "1 owner elderly owned car" to a total sucker.

The service manager told me that the Forester had been sold. I think you are absolutely correct: the car had one elderly owner (the owner of the dealership).

rdp6

May 14, 2007
Out of curiosity, what VW do you have and how many miles were on it before it decided to eat the follower?

around 103,500 or so. I wouldn't say the car decided to eat the follower; I am pretty certain that VW has stated that the follower had been hardened improperly. The TSB applies to all BPY (for VW-badged cars, this is 2.0T FSI) engines which were in the 2006-2007 (maybe some 2008? IDK) EOS, Passat, GTI, and Jetta GLi models. VWOA sent a notice to owners of BPY-engined cars last year describing the situation and extended the warrantee for the cam follower, etc. to 10 years / 120K miles.

My 2007 Passat 2.0T 6M's cam follower had been worn all the way through - I asked and was shown the follower, pump, and camshaft. I was able to drive my car to work and to the dealership on the failed parts, probably around 200 or so miles, with the symptoms getting mildly worse as I ran the engine. I still was able to reach highway+ speed, but didn't have enough torque to pass at 65 mph. Trip-computer-reported fuel economy plummeted to 24mpg; normally I get 31 mpg on winter premium gas.

I am really happy to have the Passat back. It is a terrific commuter. There is a pretty good chance there will be a new DV installed this summer along with APR Stage 1 ECU upgrade.