2010 Vancouver Olympics mascots revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
The names of these mascots seem more appropriate for a Godzilla movie rather than the winter olympics. Who came up with these rediculous names?

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
heh, i read about these this morning in the paper.

They should have brought Pucky out of retirement. He symbolizes the only sport that we REALLY care about winning anyway. They even could have made him look like a retarded Pokemon character, like the ones they went with.

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Auric
Canada is rather desperate for an identity since it has no history or unique culture (especially in the West) so glorifies that of the previous occupants. It's saleable to auslanders, at least.

I thought their identity was "Canada != USA dammit":|

meltdown75

Lifer
Nov 17, 2004
I don't agree with Canada not having an identity... it is just a very broad one. To say we don't have history or unique culture, well that's just retarded. If we don't have a history, then neither does the US.

tokie

Golden Member
Jun 1, 2006
I think they are good, although maybe a little overboard on the Indian legends. It does represent Vancouver well though -- the sasquatch, sea otter thing, and thunderbird (UBC as well). What I still HATE though is the Inukshuk logo. I mean, come on. That thing has nothing to do with Vancouver/BC (and Vancouver/BC ARE the ones paying the Olympic bill). These aren't Canada's Olympics, they are BC's, but some people insist on things being done "for Canada", like the stupid naming of the Canada Line.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: jagec
Canada is rather desperate for an identity since it has no history or unique culture (especially in the West) so glorifies that of the previous occupants. It's saleable to auslanders, at least.

I thought their identity was "Canada != USA dammit":|

Well, there is that inferiority complex.

Some might say Canada is the figurative "taint" betwixt the UK (gentitals) and the USA (anus).

I think they should have gone with "Bud" and "Mary Jane" mascots, of obvious description. :D

-
Upon further consideration, France must be given its due so make that UK/FRA as component parts of said gentitalias.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: tokie
I think they are good, although maybe a little overboard on the Indian legends. It does represent Vancouver well though -- the sasquatch, sea otter thing, and thunderbird (UBC as well). What I still HATE though is the Inukshuk logo. I mean, come on. That thing has nothing to do with Vancouver/BC (and Vancouver/BC ARE the ones paying the Olympic bill). These aren't Canada's Olympics, they are BC's, but some people insist on things being done "for Canada", like the stupid naming of the Canada Line.

:| Oh Jeebus, I'm still riled over that one. Come on, the Skytrain line will be there for the better part of 50 years and they're naming it for the convenience of tourists to the Olympics over a two-week period! They should have stuck with the "RAV line".

Some might say Canada is the figurative "taint" betwixt the UK (gentitals) and the USA (anus).

I think they should have gone with "Bud" and "Mary Jane" mascots, of obvious description. :D

-
Upon further consideration, France must be given its due so make that UK/FRA as component parts of said gentitalias.

Go rent "Souvenir of Canada" and then get back to me aboot the Canadian identity, eh? ;)
Take off, ya hoser.

If I understand your analogy, Canada is the prostate of the Western Male Genital Complex. Obscured by the contemptible, often toxic American media, you may occasionally forget it exists, but it feels damned good to explore. :p

Good mascot choices too, although you're leaving out Needle Nate and Sarah Spoon - we must be representative of all drug users!

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha

-

Go rent "Souvenir of Canada" and then get back to me aboot the Canadian identity, eh? ;)
Take off, ya hoser.

The Auric doesn't abide propaganda.

If I understand your analogy, Canada is the prostate of the Western Male Genital Complex. Obscured by the contemptible, often toxic American media, you may occasionally forget it exists, but it feels damned good to explore. :p

Yuk and yuck (as in haw and ick)!

Good mascot choices too, although you're leaving out Needle Nate and Sarah Spoon - we must be representative of all drug users!

Hey kids, collect them all!

You know, to truly represent Vancouver with an aboriginal theme demands taking into account said drug and alcohol use prevalent amongst the downtrodden homeless who wander the streets.

So, with no further ado, introducing the new 2010 Vancouver Olympics mascot: Chief Thunderbird [photo not available]! This delightful character combines the legendary pee-stained wobbly legs of a drunk, the track-riddled arms/plucked-wings of a junkie, and the cutesy head of a Pidgey Pokemon (explicitly a pigeon rather the implied Zapdos thunderbird due to his faux grandiose stature and to represent the city's infestation).

Oh, I can hear the giggles of children and corresponding *cha-ching* of cash registers already!

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Originally posted by: jagec
WTF is a "sea bear"?

BEARS LIVE ON LAND, RETARDS!:|

Ursus Maritimus (sea bear) is the taxonomic name of the polar bear. This fact of course only increases the magnitude of the designers' failure.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
I don't care for their names, but the mascots themselves seem to be some of the better looking ones in recent memory.

Kindjal

Mar 30, 2001
Originally posted by: InflatableBuddha
The stuffed animal mascots for the 2010 Olympic Winter games were revealed this morning.

Link

Miga the Sea Bear - A hybrid orca/bear. Hybrids are the rage these days, after all.

Opinions?

Mr. Colbert will definately have something to say about that "sea bear!" Writer's strike is on my "dead to me" list.

Didn't Spongebob have an episode with a sea bear attack - classic episode if you haven't seen it.