2010 Mercury Mariner Lift Gate won't open

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
My sister in law has a Mercury Mariner which was totalled in a front end collision last year. It is now a "salvage vehicle" but has been fixed back to normal and has passed a MI and NJ road safety inspection. The actual accident wasnt all that bad, but the airbag replacement cost apparently made them total it.

Anyway, everything was fine until about a month ago. The trunk/liftgate doesn't open. Normally, it would open via a soft push-button on the gate itself. Its not a mechanical handle or anything, it seems to trigger a solenoid or something. Does anyone know how these work? The button for opening just the glass still works just fine.

Any help is appreciated. I need to take the vehicle to the airport Thursday and would love to not have to throw the suitcases in through the glass!

LordMorpheus

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2002
First thing I'd check would be fuses. The owner's manual should tell you what fuse to look at.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Fuses was my first thought too, but I have an update. (Its not the fuse)

I opened the glass, and i was able to pull back the trim panel enough to see the lock assembly. When I hit the button, I could see the actuator tying to push the rod up to release the door, but seemed like it was stuck. A gentle push with my finger pushed it up and released the door. With the dorr open, i was able to remove the screws holding the trim panel and remove it completely.

I removed the entire lock assembly and took apart the lock actuator, which will need to be replaced. Problem is, I cant find a part number for it. Plan on going to the Mercury dealer tomorrow to see if they have the p/n, or what it would cost through them to buy the part.

Here are pics of the actual piece that needs replacing.

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/akshatp/lock.JPG
http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/akshatp/lock1.JPG

Btw.. I alreayd googled "PA6 GF30" thinking that was the p/n, but that turns out to be the type of plastic used on the piece lol.

akshatp

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Will be doing that tomorrow. Was trying to find the part online to compare prices.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I just confirmed that is indeed the part. Also known as 9L8Z-7843150-A

Trying to order through fordparts.com but it keeps saying cannot submit your order :(

Thanks for your help though!

Sorry about that, I intended to post the direct link, but I guess it expired.

Status
Not open for further replies.