2009 Corvette ZR1 LS9 leaked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shabby

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SVT Cobra
I doubt it will be very modable, at least without a lot of money

Why not? An intake/headers/exhaust/pulley shouldnt be expensive at all.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004

Why not? If it's built with forged internals it will be just like the '03 Cobras, only with more displacement. Intake, exhaust, pulley, tune could see 800 RWHP on these cars when running 14-16 psi and 91 octane, for the same $1000 plus the "Corvette" label markup tacked on (expect the same Bassani exhaust to cost twice to three times as much if it has Corvette on the label).

Only 2 valves per cylinder may impose a top end limit, but even then the valve area isn't too much different when you have a larger bore and thus larger valves also.

But that said, no reason to worry about it from a competitive standpoint. Anyone who would be remotely interested in this engine or have the money to afford to stick a $20,000 engine in an $5,000 F-body as an LS1/LT1 swap, already has a built, bored, stroked, forged, cammed, and blown LS1 making 800+ RWHP.

The LS9 changes nothing except what a stock $100,000+ Corvette has and merely reinforces the fact that all else held equal, there is no replacement for displacement. This isn't anything you can't already get from Lingenfelter, and the same people who will afford a ZR1 are the same people who already have or could have a twin turbo C6 anyway. So sleep easy, 650+ HP Corvettes are still going to be the exception not the rule and your Cobra is still faster than 99% of things on the road :p

And it pisses off the environmentalists and the Euro'peons' who will be bitter that a push rod engine still smokes their "advanced and sophisticated" small displacement peaky revving overhead cam acronym plastered engines at 1/3 the RPM while getting better mileage. So just for that it gets my approval.

GoatMonkey

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Ok, here's the plan. Since I'm thinking about buying a Pontiac G8 next fall, I'm going to need everyone to recommend me for Overhaulin'. I'll make up some lame tear jerker story, tell them how I want to pass this car down to my kids, and presto! Instant LS9 G8!

SVT Cobra

Lifer
Mar 29, 2005
Originally posted by: exdeath

Why not? If it's built with forged internals it will be just like the '03 Cobras, only with more displacement. Intake, exhaust, pulley, tune could see 800 RWHP on these cars when running 14-16 psi and 91 octane, for the same $1000 plus the "Corvette" label markup tacked on (expect the same Bassani exhaust to cost twice to three times as much if it has Corvette on the label).

Only 2 valves per cylinder may impose a top end limit, but even then the valve area isn't too much different when you have a larger bore and thus larger valves also.

But that said, no reason to worry about it from a competitive standpoint. Anyone who would be remotely interested in this engine or have the money to afford to stick a $20,000 engine in an $5,000 F-body as an LS1/LT1 swap, already has a built, bored, stroked, forged, cammed, and blown LS1 making 800+ RWHP.

The LS9 changes nothing except what a stock $100,000+ Corvette has and merely reinforces the fact that all else held equal, there is no replacement for displacement. This isn't anything you can't already get from Lingenfelter, and the same people who will afford a ZR1 are the same people who already have or could have a twin turbo C6 anyway. So sleep easy, 650+ HP Corvettes are still going to be the exception not the rule and your Cobra is still faster than 99% of things on the road :p

And it pisses off the environmentalists and the Euro'peons' who will be bitter that a push rod engine still smokes their "advanced and sophisticated" small displacement peaky revving overhead cam acronym plastered engines at 1/3 the RPM while getting better mileage. So just for that it gets my approval.

You still have a lot to learn about the modding market bro, you just recently bought your cobra so I will let it slide this time :p

How many companies are going to make a lot of bolt ons for an LS9 when there is only one car that has it? Hell mods for the GT500 were expensive as hell the 1st 6th months while they got onto the market, and because the ZR1 is more exclusive + marketed to a more wealthier crowd, the mods will be very high in price.

Just like the z06 now compared to your Cobra. Getting 200HP out of a Cobra is what? A thousand with all the supporting mods. Now do that with a z06...going to cost you 5-10times as much.

andylawcc

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
good lord, so how many versions of the Corvette are out there?

Base: LS3, 6.0L, 400hp
Z06: LS7, 7.0, 505hp
ZR1: LS9, 6.2L, 400>500 hp
Sting Ray, LS9 (supercharged?), ???hp

did I miss any one? ;p

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Originally posted by: andylawcc
good lord, so how many versions of the Corvette are out there?

Base: LS3, 6.0L, 400hp
Z06: LS7, 7.0, 505hp
ZR1: LS9, 6.2L, 400>500 hp
Sting Ray, LS9 (supercharged?), ???hp

did I miss any one? ;p

Just two right now.

Base LS3, 6.2L, 430hp; 436hp with NPP exhaust
Z06 LS7, 7.0L, 505hp

Late next year we'll see the ZR1 (Blue Devil) LS9, 6.2L SC, 600+hp. Final horsepower/torque is still unknown to the public. That will make it three.