2007: Best PC Gaming year ever ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The only problem is that the VAST majority of the good games this year are coming out around now. Could have used quite a bit more spacing out. The beginning of this year was just one bomb after another IMO.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Frackal
From playing 3 betas and 1 demo:

UT3
Frontlines Fuel of War
Crysis
COD-4

I can say without equivocation that Crysis is so far beyond these other games in terms of sophistication, graphics, feel, intensity, atmosphere... UT3 is decent but Crysis truly is an order of magnitude beyond these games based upon the 5 so far.

are you serious?

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Are seriously asking me if I'm serious? UT3 looks like a video game, Crysis looks like a CGI movie, or something 5 years ahead of any of the other games on that list. The scope of the game, the amazing detail into everything, is at a higher level than the other 4. It's really quite impressive, the only downside is that after playing it, the other games truly seem far more banal and "old"

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex

UT3
Frontlines Fuel of War
Crysis
COD-4

I can say without equivocation that Crysis is so far beyond these other games in terms of sophistication, graphics, feel, intensity, atmosphere... UT3 is decent but Crysis truly is an order of magnitude beyond these games based upon the 5 so far.

are you serious?

pontifex, I think that the majority of PC gamers, so far, especially those who have the chance to be part of the multi-player beta for Crysis, will often say things like Frackal said simple due to the graphics of the game (and perhaps the sounds, too). When was the least time we saw such a graphics revolution around on the PC ? Was it in 2004 with FarCry ? Perhaps Half-Life 2 ? It certainly wasn't for Doom 3 or Prey later on.

I think that Crysis is, finally, a title that has the potential to push the enthusiasts hardware to the limits, something that we've very rarely seen in the history of PC gaming simply because developers always had to, and still have to "optimize" their titles (which often means cutting down visual features) for the lower-end market, which in my opinion has contributed, and still to this day contribute to slow down the graphics evolution process (and perhaps not just the graphics, but things like particle systems and physics).

Crysis is the epitome in PC gaming visuals, it is its main selling point (anyone telling me that the story is original deserves to stay away from gaming altogether), and because we PC gamers have rarely if ever seen such a change for the best in terms of graphics on our platform I believe that the direct effect of it is to already pretend that the game, even though no one knows if the single-player part is fun at all, is perhaps the sliced-bread of PC gaming (or at least of the FPS genre as a whole).

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Zenoth

UT3
Frontlines Fuel of War
Crysis
COD-4

are you serious?

pontifex, I think that the majority of PC gamers, so far, especially those who have the chance to be part of the multi-player beta for Crysis, will often say things like Frackal said simple due to the graphics of the game (and perhaps the sounds, too). When was the least time we saw such a graphics revolution around on the PC ? Was it in 2004 with FarCry ? Perhaps Half-Life 2 ? It certainly wasn't for Doom 3 or Prey later on.

I think that Crysis is, finally, a title that has the potential to push the enthusiasts hardware to the limits, something that we've very rarely seen in the history of PC gaming simply because developers always had to, and still have to "optimize" their titles (which often means cutting down visual features) for the lower-end market, which in my opinion has contributed, and still to this day contribute to slow down the graphics evolution process (and perhaps not just the graphics, but things like particle systems and physics).

Crysis is the epitome in PC gaming visuals, it is its main selling point (anyone telling me that the story is original deserves to stay away from gaming altogether), and because we PC gamers have rarely if ever seen such a change for the best in terms of graphics on our platform I believe that the direct effect of it is to already pretend that the game, even though no one knows if the single-player part is fun at all, is perhaps the sliced-bread of PC gaming (or at least of the FPS genre as a whole).

is he talking just graphics only? it doesn't sound like it to me. while it may have better graphics than the other games (didn't see it on my system), it could be a mod for BF2. its almost the exact same gameplay as BF2 (for MP anyway). i don't know how thats not banal and old.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

UT3
Frontlines Fuel of War
Crysis
COD-4

are you serious?

is he talking just graphics only? it doesn't sound like it to me. while it may have better graphics than the other games (didn't see it on my system), it could be a mod for BF2. its almost the exact same gameplay as BF2 (for MP anyway). i don't know how thats not banal and old.

To be fair, the nanosuit in crysis is a completely new gameplay mechanic, whereas the other titles listed, however good they may be (and UT3 rocks), stick pretty closely to their roots.

Furthermore, the very core of a first person shooter is an immersive experience (hence it being first person). Realistic graphics and subtle atmosphere are a huge part of this immersion, and in a sense, their effectiveness in drawing you in is part and parcel of the gameplay experience.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
personally, im waiting on crysis and GoW

i will also vouch for the awesomeness of crysis. UT3 has the plastic treatment.. everything in crysis, while not necessarily shiny, is... :Q:Q

chocobaR

Golden Member
Sep 17, 2001
Assassin's Creed
Call of Duty 4
Crysis
Hellgate: London
Left 4 Dead
Unreal Tournament 3
Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning

Probably will be one of these for me.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
The thing is, half those games like XIII aren't really titles to be excited about. I find that every year is good for my type of PC Gaming, some years better than others. Either way, like anything else, the year is what you make of it, so I can't say there is any "golden" age of PC Gaming, because, theoretically, games are improving (if only marginally) with each year.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
I think that COD4 and Crysis will push it there but the rest of those games pretty much sucked.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
And don't forget SimCity Societies and Civ IV Beyond the Sword.

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
Kayne & Lynch

as far as Crysis..it'll prob have the same impact as FarCry IMO. It will sell on it's immersive graphics. The nanosuit is cool..but reminds me of Gordon's hazmat suit. I think the last system pusher was Oblivion.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
I'd say this year ranks right up there with the best of them. In terms of FPSes it started out slow but now it's really racing along and I can't remember the last time so many good FPSes were coming out in such a short space of time.

By the way, what's Jericho ?
It's basically a ruined city where you lead a squad of six paranormal soldiers to fight supernatural enemies and prevent Armageddon. The soldiers have conventional weaponry and also paranormal abilities.

Clive Barker had input into the game like he did with Undying (I liken Jericho as the spiritual successor to Undying).

JBT

Lifer
Nov 28, 2001
So far out of the demo's i've played.
Crysis, UT3, CoD4, Quake Wats i'm liking Crysis the best, followed by CoD4. I liked all of em but Crysis suited me best.
I'd like to play TF2 but no demo for that... I don't plan on shelling out the cash for any game until I've had the chance to play it.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Not close.

It HAS been a good year but mainly for FPSes which arent my weapon of choice.

Also, I hate to say it but the best RTS by far on that list was released in 2006... Dawn of War: Dark Crusade.

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
Just played the Jericho demo twice..the graphics are outstanding (better than UT 3). It's pretty fun too if not nerve racking b/c of the HUGE detail in the characters.

Miklebud

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 2002
HELL YEAH! In my time as a PC Gamer, this has been the most exciting and anticipated of all my years. I'm overwhelmed at the moment. But I'm loving every minute of it!!

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
A few more games I think should be on the list as well. :)

Painkiller: Overdose
The Witcher
BlackSite: Area 51
Need for Speed: ProStreet
Soldier of Fortune: Pay Back
Alan Wake

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Unreal Tournament 3
BioShock
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars
World in Conflict
TimeShift
Call of Duty 4
Lost Planet: Extreme Condition

All of the above are overhyped and range from extremely average to garbage. Lost Planet probably gets the award for laziest and buggiest conversion from a console game ever, what a diabolical POS. I left Crysis out as I haven't played it, the beta comments haven't been promising though.

I haven't played HL2:EP2 yet but I imagine it'll be more of the same and I'm fine with that.

Games that I enjoyed this year:

Portal
Quake Wars
Supreme Commander

Portal leads the way in showing lazy/clueless developers how it should be done.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
Originally posted by: Miklebud
HELL YEAH! In my time as a PC Gamer, this has been the most exciting and anticipated of all my years. I'm overwhelmed at the moment. But I'm loving every minute of it!!

Overwhelmed and financially strained with no time to play everything that's out there. Funny thing is CoD4 and World in Conflict totally snuck up on me.

List of stuff I have and want to finish, but haven't played all the way through yet:

Bioshock (Working on it currently)
Half Life 2 - Episode 2 (Played like 15min or so into it)
Company of Heros (Installed and patched...still haven't fired it up)
Titan Quest: Immortal Throne (Working on it currently)
Prey (Still working on it from time to time)
World in Conflict (Just ordered from Newegg.com today)
Supreme Commander (Still working through the campaigns)
Command and Conquer 3 (Nearly finished Nod campaign, already finished GDI though)