2004 Hyundai Elantra: Thoughts? Opinions?

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
I've been considering buying a new car lately and I was driving around the other day and I saw a 2004 Elantra GT Hatchback. I was very surprised when I determined that this nice car I was looking at was an Elantra. The thing was almost shockingly good looking, especially for a Hyundai. So I looked up some reviews and such online and while it didn't seem very 'GT' to me (135hp?), the stuff I have read has been nothing but positive. As some of you may know, I've had my eye on the Mazda3 for a while now, but I'm just not sure if it might be a little pricey for me. The Elantra seems to be a surprisingly nice car and it's CHEAP! What do you all think about this car?

MrScott81

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2001
I have a Tiburon and absolutely love it (GT V6)....got it with all the options for under 20k..and don't forget you can't beat their 10year/100k mile warranty which I guarantee you will not get standard with the Mazda 3.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Originally posted by: scottdog81
I have a Tiburon and absolutely love it (GT V6)....got it with all the options for under 20k..and don't forget you can't beat their 10year/100k mile warranty which I guarantee you will not get standard with the Mazda 3.

Yes that's another big thing in my consideration. I know Hyundai has great warranties. Also, my parents and I have owned Hyundais in the past (quite older models though) and have had generally positive experiences with them.

gsaldivar

Diamond Member
Apr 30, 2001
My sister bought an Elantra a few years ago for college, and it's running GREAT so far.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
See if you can find a good deal on a clearance 2003 model (doubtful).

How are the crash safety tests for this model?

Make sure you get an AWESOME deal because your car will depreciate significantly once you drive it off the car lot because:
1) It happens to all new cars.
2) It's a Hyundai and won't hold it's resale value like a Honda would.

Otherwise it should be a good solid car for basic transportation.

CChaos

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2003
I've been impressed with what I've been hearing about Hyundais improvements in the past few years. As Rossman pointed out, it won't hold it's value like a Toyota or a Honda, but otherwise they seem like a nice little econobox. Luck!

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: CChaos
I've been impressed with what I've been hearing about Hyundais improvements in the past few years. As Rossman pointed out, it won't hold it's value like a Toyota or a Honda, but otherwise they seem like a nice little econobox. Luck!

Ditto

I was seriously considering a Hyundai Elantra GLS a few years ago but spent $7k more and got a Honda Accord SE instead.

If I were young and needed a reliable econobox I'd probably get a Hyundai.

/me wonders where wyst has been lately.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
If all you are looking for is a car tha twill get you from point A to point B AND you are planning on keeping it for 7+ years, then go ahead and get then go ahead and get the Hyundai. If you are wanting to get something a little more fun/stylish and think you will probably move up to something else in the next 5 years, go ahead and get the Mazda or a Civic/Corolla.

I'm not a big fan of how the Elantra looks, but Hyundai's have come a long way from their early beginnings here in the US and are quite reliable well made cars. They also have a kick ass warranty.

Good luck with your decision.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Thanks for the replies. The car I really originally wanted was the Mazda3, but I can see that the Elantra is also worthy of my consideration. The Mazda is just an awesome car but the Elantra is a very nice car and is quite a bit cheaper, making this a very tough decision. Do you think there would be much of a difference in insurance rates between the Mazda and they Hyundai?

BCYL

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2000
Look for a used one, because of Hyundai's resale value like Rossman pointed out...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
I like the Elantra GT, but the platform's getting a bit old, and as others have mentioned, the resale is quite poor.
Get a used one, or else spend the extra money to get something a little nicer if it has to be new.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
I like the Elantra GT, but the platform's getting a bit old, and as others have mentioned, the resale is quite poor.
Get a used one, or else spend the extra money to get something a little nicer if it has to be new.

If I were in his situation, that's what I would do.

Let someone else take the depreciation hit for their "new" car. You swoop in and get a bargain.

Checking our local newspapers web site (The Oregonian) shows these Hyundai's available, I'm not sure which are GLS and GT models.

2002 ELANTRA 5 spd, 4 dr, 11,000 miles, AM-FM CD, AC, PS, CC, fully loaded, $6000.

2003 HYUNDAI Elantra. Priced to sell. Stk #P3164. $7995.

02 HYUNDAI ELANTRA GLS 5 spd, AC, all pwr, cass (Huge selection of affordable vehicles) #P11648. EZ terms. $8888.

02 HYUNDAI Elantra GT. BLK, 5spd, lthr, CD mnrf + more. 20K. CLEAN! $10,900.

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
Plus, I believe Hyundai's warranty is transferrable so you're not losing out on much there if you get a "lightly used" model.

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: scottdog81

Yeah I seen the new Tiburon and was surprised... the old one was so rediculously overstyled for my taste, but I actually kinda like the new one, and was cheap, seemed like a good deal. I'm in the market and thats one of the cars I'm looking at, along with a few others.

arcenite

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BigSmooth
Plus, I believe Hyundai's warranty is transferrable so you're not losing out on much there if you get a "lightly used" model.

My mom just got a 2001 Sonata with 28k miles on it (5spd) for a little under 10k. It was in perfect condition.

Bill

Ogg

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2003
I own a 2001 elantra wagon. Yeah a wagon baby and we love it, as we havent had any trouble with it at all as of yet.
Knock on plastic!:D
We bought it brand new cause the dealer was just dying to sell it to anyone...........
we=cheap

gluck

Oct 29, 2003
Not to spoil the party but Hyundai has a very bad reputation in the United States. The looks of the cars ain't that bad but surprisingly no one wants. The resale is pretty bad and the status symbol, style factor is kinda missing. So keep in before getting a Hyundai.

gluck

Oct 29, 2003
Not to spoil the party but Hyundai has a very bad reputation in the United States. The looks of the cars ain't that bad but surprisingly no one wants. The resale is pretty bad and the status symbol, style factor is kinda missing. So keep in before getting a Hyundai.

gluck

Oct 29, 2003

kenshorin

Golden Member
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: gluck

HOLY MOTHER OF DOUBLE POST! :D

Yeah but thats only if you give a rats a$$ what OTHER PEOPLE think of your car... and if you are going to be reselling it. If you are the type who needs a status symbol, yeah look elsewhere. Of course, if you need a car as a status symbol.......

ivol07

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2002
I have a 2001 Elantra and it's great. I actually just paid it off (which is the best part). Almost 70k miles and not one problem. Literally, not one. Well, my headlight went out. But they replaced it free...and it wasn't even covered in the warranty. I would say if you want a car that you're going to drive to death then go for it. If you plan on selling it relatively soon then get something else. I'm going to drive mine till the wheels fall off. The quality is definitely better than what they used to be.

Go for it!