2004 Chevy Malibu Pic (Epsilon platform)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cfour

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2000
www.sternie.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Well I've heard this from a GM Engineer over at Pontiac as well so I'm gonna believe it. Just curious, what ideas were on paper that didn't follow through? jw

Off the top of my head I remember the Vibe supposably getting a supercharger at some point. Still have yet to see it. The Silverado SS was supposed to be supercharged, then it dropped down to the 6.6L and then eventually down to the 6.0. The new S-10 replacement was also rumored to come with a turboed I5 with around 300 HP and that's down a just a regular I5.

I've also seen pictures of the "G-Force" Grand Prix and no news on whether or not we'll see that.

GM talks about all these high power vehicles, but we just end up getting down watered down shadows of what they originally proposed.

Do you have any articles? After all you said paper promises, what you're talking about are strictly rumors. The G-Force is the one exception, and I believe it is appearing in '05, but I can't say for sure. It doesn't really matter 'caus tthe '04 appearance change was just for a short period. I think the Prix is due for a new model change in '06? However, it's featured on Pontiac's web page if that means anything...

http://www.pontiac.com/pontiacjsp/passion/concept/main.jsp#gp

The other concepts there with the exception of the Pirahna are likely (Solstice), if not confirmed (GTO, Bonneville GXP) to go into production. If you goto that link and click on the G-Force they have a cool section for it.

Tony

Shantanu

Banned
Feb 6, 2001
Does the concept of first year redesign glitches have any meaning to you?

Doesn't seem to be a problem for GM these days. A lot of their recommended vehices (from CR's) were new models.

Some misaligned trim is hardly something that I'd be concerned about.

No doubt the same excuse sleazy Toyota dealers use when angry customers come to complain about the POS Camry's they've been sold. LOL. That's Jap build quality for you!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I was talking about their new vehicle recommendations you dumbfvck.

Do you always have to attack people with such language? Were you beat as a child or are you just pissy to everyone you meet?

bizmark

Banned
Feb 4, 2002
w0w that 9-3 looks awesome! Although it kinda seems like a hodgepodge of styling cues from competitors' cars.. very Passat-like headlights, rearend reminiscent of a Mercedes crossed with an A6, 3/4 view that strikes me as Volvo-ish.... but I think it all comes together really well :)

:| that site has some of the most aggressive popups I've encountered! Geeze.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: Shantanu
Consumer Reports gave the Chevrolet Malibu and Chevrolet Impala above average reliability. The Toyota Camry fell to to average reliabilty, due to poor build quality. The only German sedan (of any size) to be recommended by CR's was the BMW 5-series.

I think the new Malibu looks far better than pretty much any other midsize sedan on the market right now. The Accord, Camry, and Maxima are among the fugliest cars that money can buy. GM's reliability and product quality are among the highest in the industry, the only problem is getting the public to acknowledge it.

GM North America chief and car czar Bob Lutz discussed with reporters his frustration that GM is not being given credit for quality gains, and that the media still separates the industry according to domestics and imports. ?It?s irrelevant,? said Lutz.

Lutz?s frustration was backed up by charts that showed a dramatic disparity between GM?s actual quality, as ranked by J.D. Power and Associates, and its perceived quality in the minds of consumers.

GM showed, for example, that Chevrolet?s actual quality is more than twice what consumers perceive it to be, while Volkswagen?s actual quality is less than half of what it is measured to be by Power, according to GM's presentation. Pontiac's perceived quality was almost half of what its actual quality is as well.

GM moved into the number three position in the Power Initial Quality Survey, behind Toyota and Honda, and ahead of Nissan, DaimlerChrysler, Ford and Volkswagen.

Last week, GM won seven new recommendations from Consumer Reports.

The Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3 are selling extremely well in Europe. The Opel Vectra is even the best selling midsize car in Germany. I think the new Malibu will do well.

Are you spouting that number of problems BS again? You never cease to amaze me. Not only do you say that GM cars are high quality, but you say that Japanese cars are LOW quality. ?!
Do I have to chalk it up to the overcompensating immigrant thing again?

brtspears2

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Doesnt look that bad at all. I have to say GM cars are fairly reiable now, as if you look around you see a bunch of older models running without a problem.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Right. That's exactly why Consumer Reports recommends Japanese for ALL used vehicle choices for family sedan, compact car, midsize SUV, mini-van, and compact SUV.

Oh, and I believe that the Passat is on the "recommended" list. Last time I checked that's a German sedan.

Consumer reports also has a full red circle for Acura TL transmission reliability in the 2003 cars edition. Not a word on the transmission failures that people have been experiencing, and even Honda admitted.
Same tranny as in Odyssey, which is also top recommendation from that link you posted. Japanese automakers can do no wrong as far as CR is concerned. They don't have much credibility with me.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Consumer reports also has a full red circle for Acura TL transmission reliability in the 2003 cars edition. Not a word on the transmission failures that people have been experiencing, and even Honda admitted.
Same tranny as in Odyssey, which is also top recommendation from that link you posted. Japanese automakers can do no wrong as far as CR is concerned. They don't have much credibility with me.

I can really give to sh!ts about CR to be honest. The only reason I posted that link was to show that initial "quality" surveys mean dick in the grand scheme of things overall. What good is initial quality if the thing falls apart in 3 years?

Some people like to have selective hearing/reading though and conveniently ignore things that go against what they are pushing.

My family has owned 5 GM vehicles in my lifetime, and I've personally bought 3 of my own. I finally got smart and tried something different. Now that I've got a Passat and a Camry, I really can't imagine owning another GM vehicle until they get their asses in gear and put out something that competes.

Mandrill

Golden Member
Feb 7, 2000
I have to pitch a defence for the Malibu. I own a 2000 with the V6 and I have to say that thus far it has been a very good vehicle. It rides very nice, roomy for my long legs plus plenty of room in the back for my kids, and very comfortable to drive on long trips.

Mine has no rattles, wind noise isn't bad, and I have yet to find a flaw in the fit and finish. Granted I haven't gone over it specifically looking for anything but I've seen nothing when washing and cleaning the car that jumped out at me.
I
t's acceleration isn't bad. It's no dragster but nor is it supposed to be. It does have quite a bit of body lean when cornering. It's especially noticeble on on and off ramps when you make the big circle. This is an area that could use some improvement in my opinion.

And to the guy who said that the plastic part came out with his drink, they are rubber and they are supposed to come out. That way when they get funky when pop gets dribbled in them as it always does, they are easy to clean. You just pull them out and wash em. Most cup holders are fixed and you have to try and get in there with a rag to clean them and that is a pain. The only time mine has come out when I wasn't trying to get it out was when I shoved an overly large cup into it and it stuck to it.

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000

I can really give to sh!ts about CR to be honest. The only reason I posted that link was to show that initial "quality" surveys mean dick in the grand scheme of things overall. What good is initial quality if the thing falls apart in 3 years?

Some people like to have selective hearing/reading though and conveniently ignore things that go against what they are pushing.

My family has owned 5 GM vehicles in my lifetime, and I've personally bought 3 of my own. I finally got smart and tried something different. Now that I've got a Passat and a Camry, I really can't imagine owning another GM vehicle until they get their asses in gear and put out something that competes.
As far as cars I would never even bother unless you are getting a classic or their flagship (Vette) the GM V8 line is a great motor, I put 8lbs of boost on mine and program pretty aggressive tuning to it and it loves it. Damn thing won't blow so I can stick a 6.0 in there ;)