2002 Luxury Crossover Comparison Test: Acura MDX, Audi All-Road, BMW X5, Lexus RX300

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Don_Vito
Originally posted by: VFAA
I've seen a BMW X5 for the first time on the highway today... Very ugly car... Wouldn't touch the door handle with a 2/4 :eek:.

To each his own, but I honestly can't imagine how anyone could take such offense at the design, which I feel is clean and handsome. Nearly every review of the car I have read has complemented its handsome, aggressive appearance (though, again, YMMV as we all have different taste).

I think it's quite handsome too...but the handsome design also limits its usefulness.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Originally posted by: Yucky
You wouldn't think so, but I've seen more X5s than any of those other ones combined. :eek:

Why isn't Land Rover the only maker of SUVs? Because SUVs aren't actually SUVs...

Well, the MDX and RX300 outsell the X5, so I don't know where you live. The RX300 outsells the X5 2:1 and the MDX outsells it about 1.25 : 1.

As for your last statement, I don't get it. I mean, Jeep makes SUVs as well...even before LR did.

I think the main reason you see so many more X5's out there even though there are way more MDX's and RX300's on the road is that because RX300 and MDX's are so boring and bland that you just don't notice them. X5 at least has some presense on the road and it gets noticed.

Ahhhhh, but the last time I checked, vehicles like the RX300 and MDX are actually used for a purpose while X5s are merely pin-ups for praising BMW :) Sort of like sleeping with a 25 year old mistress that is dumb as a door nail and is good in the sack while your actual wife is the one that does the cooking, cleaning, raising the kids, fixing dinner, while working a full-time job, and putting up with your ass for the past 20 years :D

So what's the problem? :)
X5 is a good choice for those who want a Bimmer and an SUV :) It's the only choice. Not everyone is into jacked up Camry wagons.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Yucky
You wouldn't think so, but I've seen more X5s than any of those other ones combined. :eek:

Why isn't Land Rover the only maker of SUVs? Because SUVs aren't actually SUVs...

Well, the MDX and RX300 outsell the X5, so I don't know where you live. The RX300 outsells the X5 2:1 and the MDX outsells it about 1.25 : 1.

As for your last statement, I don't get it. I mean, Jeep makes SUVs as well...even before LR did.

I think the main reason you see so many more X5's out there even though there are way more MDX's and RX300's on the road is that because RX300 and MDX's are so boring and bland that you just don't notice them. X5 at least has some presense on the road and it gets noticed.

Ahhhhh, but the last time I checked, vehicles like the RX300 and MDX are actually used for a purpose while X5s are merely pin-ups for praising BMW :) Sort of like sleeping with a 25 year old mistress that is dumb as a door nail and is good in the sack while your actual wife is the one that does the cooking, cleaning, raising the kids, fixing dinner, while working a full-time job, and putting up with your ass for the past 20 years :D

So what's the problem? :)
X5 is a good choice for those who want a Bimmer and an SUV :) It's the only choice. Not everyone is into jacked up Camry wagons.

Yes, but jacked up Camrys are actually USEFUL. X5's are no more useful than the 5-Series they are based on.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
What exactly can an RX300 be used for that a X5 cannot. I find handling a very useful quality in a vehicle. Worth giving up a little interior space for.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
What exactly can an RX300 be used for that a X5 cannot. I find handling a very useful quality in a vehicle. Worth giving up a little interior space for.

Better gas mileage
More cargo room (by a VERY large margin)
More passenger space

If you want handling, get the better looking 5-Series Wagon which will out accelerate, out brake, out handle, and haul a lot more than the X5 all for less money.

That's what I've been screaming the whole time. Besides AWD there is NOT much else to make the concious buyer pick the X5 over the 5 wagon...especially if you crave handling so much as you say :D

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Yucky You wouldn't think so, but I've seen more X5s than any of those other ones combined. :eek: Why isn't Land Rover the only maker of SUVs? Because SUVs aren't actually SUVs...
Well, the MDX and RX300 outsell the X5, so I don't know where you live. The RX300 outsells the X5 2:1 and the MDX outsells it about 1.25 : 1. As for your last statement, I don't get it. I mean, Jeep makes SUVs as well...even before LR did.

Good analogy :)