2000 Civic VP 4dr - do these turn into rust buckets?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
I went and looked at a 2000 Honda Civic Value (manual windows, AC, Auto, CD) with 60k miles. All in all, it was in pretty good condition. The thing that bothers me is the bottom of the front passenger side door has a fair amount of rust.

I know older Hondas rust pretty easily, but is it still common on an otherwise clean car of this age?

FWIW, it's Silver, and he's asking $7k, which I thought seemed high, but seems to be about the going rate on ebay.

Thoughts?

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
First, in terms of price, always haggle.

Second, rust already? I guess I just normally don't see cars rust that soon...

UF Matt

May 20, 2007
I have a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe. No rust problems whatsoever. I realize it is a different model, but same company and year. Just FYI.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

My thoughts exactly on both accounts. He's the orig owner, and 'says' its never been in an accident. It sure doesn't look like the door has been repainted, but the rust being ONLY on that door is sure suspicious.

How much 'should' this car sell for?
I'm in the midwest, so used fuel efficient cars aren't exactly common around here (lots of Buick Lesabres and Chevy Silverados!)

sniperruff

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
actually why don't you ask him why is the door rusty? look under the car, inside the wheel well and see if you find more rust.

"How much 'should' this car sell for?
I'm in the midwest, so used fuel efficient cars aren't exactly common around here (lots of Buick Lesabres and Chevy Silverados!)"

use edmunds TMV AND KBB and average it. i find KBB tends to be high and TMV tends to be a little low.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: sniperruff
actually why don't you ask him why is the door rusty? look under the car, inside the wheel well and see if you find more rust.

"How much 'should' this car sell for?
I'm in the midwest, so used fuel efficient cars aren't exactly common around here (lots of Buick Lesabres and Chevy Silverados!)"

use edmunds TMV AND KBB and average it. i find KBB tends to be high and TMV tends to be a little low.

TMV is $7007, so he's tits on with his price

UF Matt

May 20, 2007
One thing I just thought about. Could have been in a flood. Those cars have a way of spreading all over the country. Can you get a carfax report?

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: UF Matt
One thing I just thought about. Could have been in a flood. Those cars have a way of spreading all over the country. Can you get a carfax report?

Got the carfax, looks clean and consistent with what he has told me. Originally registered in Washinton DC, moved to Iowa in 03.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Originally posted by: iversonyin
Rusting is pain. look for another car.

I've pretty much convinced myself to pass on this car (these responses pushed me over the edge)

I need to just bite the bullet and get a new one

illusion88

Lifer
Oct 2, 2001
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo

Here in Utah cars can rust pretty quickly. Once the paint is chipped it will start to get rust on it over the winter. We salt our roads like a bland potato soup. You can fight the rust by washing your car once a week, but lets face it, it takes a lot of discipline to wash your car if you know it is going to be filthy in the next 40 miles.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
$7k for a 7 year old, zero-option Civic with rust on it??? Um, no. Not in a million years.

You can do A LOT better than that.