200 Days Binary Newsgroup Retention at Giganews!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
200 days? That's insane. Usenet traffic is estimated to be 300GB of new material per day. That's 60TB of storage required to hold 200 days, and this stuff is going to be a redundant system for speed and loss prevention, meaning the amount of data they're storing could very well be twice that (120TB). I can't even image 120TB in hard drives.:Q

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
200 days means that you only need an account every 6 months. Leech as much as possibly for one month, then cancel, then wait until you have 200 days of new stuff, then create a new account, and leech again :)

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Does giganews have a web frontend similar to easynews? I've gotten kind of spoiled not having to screw around with newsreaders, especially since Forte screwed the pooch with Agent.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: ViRGE
200 days? That's insane. Usenet traffic is estimated to be 300GB of new material per day. That's 60TB of storage required to hold 200 days, and this stuff is going to be a redundant system for speed and loss prevention, meaning the amount of data they're storing could very well be twice that (120TB). I can't even image 120TB in hard drives.:Q

I would think it'd be alot more than just 300GB a day.

I agree with the easynews global search being awesome. I won't leave them for awhile. I believe I got about 187GB built up and have dl'ed 642GB. It's hard to find stuff worthy of downloading anymore.

DaveJ

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE

120TB is nothing, you could fit that much disk space into a few racks easily. Last I heard the average daily Usenet volume was about 1.7TB/day, which sounds about right.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Yes, 300GB seems a little low. That's only like 20-30 HDTV files. a.b.boneless can easily have over 50-75GB per day. Add in the other top 5 groups, that's 250GB at least.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
how do you guys download so much? Jesus, i was paranoid enough to only dl maybe 10 gigs in a month.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Any free usenet servers out there that have decent storage? Time Warner apparently just killed their newsgroup system so now I can only download at like 50KB/s instead of the normal 500KB/s so it's useless. 4 hours just to get headers from one group I use...

Teranews has 50MB free/day.

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
Originally posted by: ric1287
how do you guys download so much? Jesus, i was paranoid enough to only dl maybe 10 gigs in a month.

It's very easy to dl more than 10GB in a month.

A friend of mine works for TW and he said my transfer was like 100+ or something for a month.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
Originally posted by: pcslookout
Originally posted by: neutralizer
It's nice to find pretty obscure stuff, but there's no way you can find anything by headers.

Sure there is. Just use Giganews Accelerator http://www.giganews.com/accelerator.html

You can download all headers of 125 days, 200 days, or even 600 days, when the time comes, in the matter of minutes!

Oh snap, I didn't realize that it was that useful, hmm, I'll try it out, but I have a bandwidth limit so I hope it doesn't chew up too much. Any good readers out there? I kinda gave up on BNR2 and just went with sabnzbd and d/ling only nzb releases.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
It's nice to find pretty obscure stuff, but there's no way you can find anything by headers.

Sure there is. Just use Giganews Accelerator http://www.giganews.com/accelerator.html

You can download all headers of 125 days, 200 days, or even 600 days, when the time comes, in the matter of minutes!

Oh snap, I didn't realize that it was that useful, hmm, I'll try it out, but I have a bandwidth limit so I hope it doesn't chew up too much. Any good readers out there? I kinda gave up on BNR2 and just went with sabnzbd and d/ling only nzb releases.

Why not just use newsleecher you get free with Giganews ?

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002

Why not just use newsleecher you get free with Giganews ?

Shhhhhhhhhhh, that's the second rule!!! You're breaking it!!!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: astroidea
Originally posted by: Kelemvor
Any free usenet servers out there that have decent storage? Time Warner apparently just killed their newsgroup system so now I can only download at like 50KB/s instead of the normal 500KB/s so it's useless. 4 hours just to get headers from one group I use...

newsleecher search function :)
or pay $2/mo for newzbin nzb indexing service.

Ummm no TW did not kill their service. They outsoruced to Newshosting FOR FREE.
If you have RR at home, you have NH unlimited w/ 70+ days for free. Has been that way for 6 months.

Journer

Banned
Jun 30, 2005
i'm with newshosting.com they are pretty nice...might switch to GN though...$5/mo is not that bad and i'm always having problems with anything over 60 days at NH :/

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Originally posted by: ric1287

10GB, that's every 2 days for me.