$20 wireless upgrade kit for original NES/SNES/etc. controllers

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Modifies your original controller (NES Classic, Sega MegaDrive, NES, SNES, SNES Classic) into a Bluetooth controller compatible with a variety of systems (Windows, OSX, Raspberry Pi, Nintendo Switch, Android.). Battery is rechargable (7 hours of play for an hour or two of charge time). Multiple controller modes (X-input, D-input, Mac mode, Nintendo Switch mode) with LED indicator where the wire came out of. Screwdriver & USB cable for charging included. Story:

https://gizmodo.com/this-kit-lets-you-make-your-old-snes-controllers-comple-1827576762

Store:

https://shop.8bitdo.com

They have various USB receivers for consoles available on their main site: (scroll down to the bottom)

http://www.8bitdo.com

SO COOL

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

No, this is where you buy an original SNES controller (or whatever console's controller you want) & retrofit it. So if you want the original hardware with added wireless functionality, this is your ticket.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want that over a modern take on the design, like the one you linked above, because the wireless kit will change the weight of the device, but if you want originality with modernism, then this fits the bill. I think it's pretty cool! (although I'll personally stick with my Playstation-style generic Bluetooth controllers)

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
No, this is where you buy an original SNES controller (or whatever console's controller you want) & retrofit it. So if you want the original hardware with added wireless functionality, this is your ticket.

I'm not quite sure why you'd want that over a modern take on the design, like the one you linked above, because the wireless kit will change the weight of the device, but if you want originality with modernism, then this fits the bill. I think it's pretty cool! (although I'll personally stick with my Playstation-style generic Bluetooth controllers)
Playing Super Mario Kart with any controller other than the SNES one just doesn't feel right. I am not nearly as good at that game with any other controller than the SNES one. Same with NBA Jam. Yeah I know it's odd but that's just how it is to me.

There are some games that just feel better with the original controller. I got one of the 8bitdo wired USB SNES ones for my retro pi and everything feels like it did back in the day.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
I’ve got loads of 8bitdo products and I love them even though they aren’t perfect. The Super Nt and 2.4GHz non-Bluetooth series need D-pad tweaks but, then again, so does Nintendo’s own NES Classic Edition controllers. *shrug* Lroblem now is that I already have enough retro-style 8bitdo controllers and receivers for all my stuff and I really don’t need more, especially since I pair a DualShock 4 for most things.

I’ll probably end up with them eventually anyway. :) It really is a great idea and somewhat similar to a project I wanted to do a long time ago.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I’ve got loads of 8bitdo products and I love them even though they aren’t perfect. The Super Nt and 2.4GHz non-Bluetooth series need D-pad tweaks but, then again, so does Nintendo’s own NES Classic Edition controllers. *shrug* Lroblem now is that I already have enough retro-style 8bitdo controllers and receivers for all my stuff and I really don’t need more, especially since I pair a DualShock 4 for most things.

I’ll probably end up with them eventually anyway. :) It really is a great idea and somewhat similar to a project I wanted to do a long time ago.

Sorry to bump an old thread, but have you tried any of these DIY kits? I found a 6-button Genesis controller the other day at the flea market for $5 and thought I had to do this mod, so I ordered the Mega Drive / Genesis DIY kit. I hope the delivery time is closer to 10 days than 30, as I'm really eager to try this out with MAME, Genesis emulation, and on old-school style PC games like Sonic Mania and Guacamelee.

Reactions: Kaido

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Sorry to bump an old thread, but have you tried any of these DIY kits? I found a 6-button Genesis controller the other day at the flea market for $5 and thought I had to do this mod, so I ordered the Mega Drive / Genesis DIY kit. I hope the delivery time is closer to 10 days than 30, as I'm really eager to try this out with MAME, Genesis emulation, and on old-school style PC games like Sonic Mania and Guacamelee.
Unfortunately, the ratio of 6-button controllers to Genesis consoles and 6-button games is bad enough that I didn’t want to sacrifice any 6-button Genesis controllers... at least, not when there is no Genesis 8bitdo RetroReceiver. Luckily, Krikzz (of Everdrive fame) makes a wireless replica called “Joyzz.” I plan to order that on his next Black Friday sale.

RetroBit is supposed to do wireless Sega Saturn replicas too, but I’ve been less impressed with their controllers (especially their NES dogbone replica). Then again, RetroBit collaborated with 8bitdo on the Bluetooth N64 controller so there’s a possibility that they are using 8bitdo for the Saturn controllers too. 8bitdo did get scared into changing their designs to be less-similar to the originals and they even changed the names to get “NES,” “SNES,” and “SFC” out of the product names, so it may be that they’ve been scared away and the project put on hold. IIRC, they were announced over a year ago.