20 reasons why I don't watch baseball.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MacBaine

Banned
Aug 23, 2001
Basketball is much more exciting...

Guy runs to one side of court. Throws ball in the hoop. Guy runs to other side of court. Throws ball in hoop. Repeat for an hour.

At least baseball involves tension and suspense.

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: MacBaine

Guy runs to one side of court. Throws ball in the hoop. Guy runs to other side of court. Throws ball in hoop. Repeat for an hour.

At least basketball has action for that full hour. Baseball you can go 3 hours without a hit. w00000 now THATS exciting!

PunDogg

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2002
baseball does suck, but these playoff series have been pretty good, but over all i won;t want baseball, boring and i don;t feel like watching a bunch of overpaid sissies

Dogg

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Deeko

At least basketball has action for that full hour. Baseball you can go 3 hours without a hit. w00000 now THATS exciting!

That would be a double no-hitter. And it wouldn't even take 3 hours, closer to 2. Yeah, I would like to see that!

Deeko

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory

That would be a double no-hitter. And it wouldn't even take 3 hours, closer to 2. Yeah, I would like to see that!

rolleye.gif
it was an exaggeration. Ok fine, there are 3 hits in a 3 hour game. Once again, WOOHOO exciting. I'd rather stare a rock and see if it moves.

so how do you people who find baseball boring, feel about soccer?
Soccer is like hockey, but on a bigger field. At least things are happening.

docmanjimmer

Oct 13, 2003
i dont watch baseball religiously, but i do appreciate the nostalgia of it. and pete rose should be in the hall of fame <----- YAPRC (yet another pete rose comment)

darkeneddays

Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Pocatello
The only time I watch baseball is October.

Word. Me too.
I can't get into regular season games. "Oh darn, we lost, no biggie we still have 100+ games left in the season."
So many games waters down the thrill of winning. At least the playoffs are a tense due to the "do or die" feeling.

Note: I only watch basketball in the postseason for the same reasons mentioned above...

Originally posted by: draggoon01
so how do you people who find baseball boring, feel about soccer?

i enjoy watching soccer.

The problem however in the US is that too many people are used to baseball or football, where static play is almost expected. There is very little room for dynamic play as there is in hockey and soccer. The beauty of soccer, and what many fail to see, is the devolpment of a play and the movement in the players, not by the ball. Sure, its fun to watch the goals being scored in highlights, but its the play before it that I want to see. How did that man get open? How many chances before that did they have? To me, that is excitment. you see where everyone is and there are so many options, some good, some bad, but never totally correct or incorrect.

Football is stop and go, not too many dynamic play besides a QB running it or a WR improvising. Set plays is the name of the game. Baseball is much the same. People know when you should throw to first or second or third or home. Its a given. Not so with soccer.

The way I see it is the only people who truly appreciate soccer for what it is are the ones who played it competitively for some time. That is why soccer will never be popular.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
rolleye.gif
it was an exaggeration. Ok fine, there are 3 hits in a 3 hour game. Once again, WOOHOO exciting. I'd rather stare a rock and see if it moves.
A 3-hit shutout, woohoo! I'd like to see one tomorrow in fact.

Originally posted by: darkeneddays
Originally posted by: Pocatello
The only time I watch baseball is October.

Word. Me too.
I can't get into regular season games. "Oh darn, we lost, no biggie we still have 100+ games left in the season."
So many games waters down the thrill of winning. At least the playoffs are a tense due to the "do or die" feeling.

Note: I only watch basketball in the postseason for the same reasons mentioned above...
This has been an all-around good postseason. Except for the Red Sox running themselves out of innings, arggghh :disgust:

Baseball's regular season used mean a little more when hardly anybody qualified for the playoffs. I think they probably should shorten it by several games, but they won't. At least they don't let half the teams into the playoffs.

docmanjimmer

Oct 13, 2003
i think a lot of the strat in baseball lies in the hands of the pitcher. constantly he has to try and read (from hours of studying videos of batters) decide what to pitch to throw off the batter. if you watch enough baseball you can see the battle that goes on between a pitcher and the batter.

Maximin

Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: Jhill
1.It's boring
2.It's boring
3.It's boring
4.It's boring
5.It's boring
6.It's boring
7.It's boring
8.It's boring
9.It's boring
10.It's boring
11.It's boring
12.It's boring
13.It's boring
14.It's boring
15.It's boring
16.It's boring
17.It's boring
18.It's boring
19.It's boring
20.It's boring

trek

Dec 13, 2000
1.It's boring
2.It's boring
3.It's boring
4.It's boring
5.It's boring
6.It's boring
7.It's boring
8.It's boring
9.It's boring
10.It's boring
11.It's boring
12.It's boring
13.It's boring
14.It's boring
15.It's boring
16.It's boring
17.It's boring
18.It's boring
19.It's boring
20.It's boring

yes, yes it is.

zod

Oct 10, 1999
Baseball is effin' amazingly good. A pitcher and a quarterback in football -- they're out there...alone, and millions of eyes are on them. Just them. Amazing nads needed. The strategy, the margin for error, and I thought this was a forum of geeks! The statistics! Baseball has isolated incedents which allow patterns to develop and strategies to be played out. Ask a baseball fan who has the 2nd most HRs of all time and s/he'll know. Ask them about statistics like BA, OBP, SLG, Ks, BBs, SBs, HRs, 2Bs, etc etc and they [should] know.

The strategy that goes into every single pitch of every game is what makes baseball so great. The fact that they DO have to play 162 games a year, that they have to go to work, day in and day out, just like us, and stay calm and do their job is what makes baseball great. They dont get all hyped up and adrenalined up like in football (which i love, too), they need to relax.

And long seasons cheapen every win? At the end of this season, the Cubs won their division by one game, and the third place team had just three less wins... over 5 months, three wins separated three teams. Every game matters.

Watch Bull Durham or Field of Dreams guys :)

trek

Dec 13, 2000
Oh, and I don't watch sports, I play them. It's a little more exciting that way.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
1.It's boring
2.It's boring
3.It's boring
4.It's boring
5.It's boring
6.It's boring
7.It's boring
8.It's boring
9.It's boring
10.It's boring
11.It's boring
12.It's boring
13.It's boring
14.It's boring
15.It's boring
16.It's boring
17.It's boring
18.It's boring
19.It's boring
20.It's boring

You forgot the 21st reason...

21.It's boring

docmanjimmer

Oct 13, 2003
Originally posted by: zod
Baseball is effin' amazingly good. A pitcher and a quarterback in football -- they're out there...alone, and millions of eyes are on them. Just them. Amazing nads needed. The strategy, the margin for error, and I thought this was a forum of geeks! The statistics! Baseball has isolated incedents which allow patterns to develop and strategies to be played out. Ask a baseball fan who has the 2nd most HRs of all time and s/he'll know. Ask them about statistics like BA, OBP, SLG, Ks, BBs, SBs, HRs, 2Bs, etc etc and they [should] know.

The strategy that goes into every single pitch of every game is what makes baseball so great. The fact that they DO have to play 162 games a year, that they have to go to work, day in and day out, just like us, and stay calm and do their job is what makes baseball great. They dont get all hyped up and adrenalined up like in football (which i love, too), they need to relax.

And long seasons cheapen every win? At the end of this season, the Cubs won their division by one game, and the third place team had just three less wins... over 5 months, three wins separated three teams. Every game matters.

Watch Bull Durham or Field of Dreams guys :)

For love of the game. Smarmy love story i know but still taps into the strat of a pitcher. BTW, zod, i was thinking the same thing, but you certainly put it more eloquently.