20 People Injured In Stabbing At Pennsylvania High School

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Because a normal person doesn't randomly start stabbing people?

Really? What about the Boston Bomber(s)? The kid that is still alive was a "normal" person.

"normal" people are just as capable as anyone else to do something heinous.

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
This is a good question. Did these types of things happen back then with the same regularity and we just didn't hear about them as much, or are these things happening more now?

Back in the day, parents an teachers were able to punish their children if they did something wrong or misbehaved. Parents and teachers had the upper hand in molding the children to become proper citizens when they become adults.

Today? It's a crapshoot, kids have the upper hand,they do what they want. Medication is being doled out like candy. It's not surprising that this is happening more and more because our children aren't being raised properly.

Really? What about the Boston Bomber(s)? The kid that is still alive was a "normal" person.

Wtf are you talking about?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
Wtf are you talking about?

Don't act so stupid. Do you have to be mentally ill to hurt somebody?

Dzhokahr (or whatever his name is) was as "normal" as they come and he ended up being involved in the injury or murder of several people.

Saying that "normal" people don't do stuff like this seems a bit weird to say. There are a lot of people of sound mind and body in prison right now for crimes like this that were on a much smaller scale.

Last edited:

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008

Dzhokahr (or whatever his name is) was as "normal" as they come and he ended up being involved in the injury or murder of several people.

I still don't know what you are talking about. He was a criminal, how is he normal? Criminals can hurt people. Terrorists can hurt people.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

What is it about firearms discussion that brings out the logical fallacy machine?

frowertr

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2010

Saying that "normal" people don't do stuff like this seems a bit weird to say. There are a lot of people of sound mind and body in prison right now for crimes like this that were on a much smaller scale.

How can you be of sound mind and body but commit heinous acts? That's contradictory.

What you mean to say is that they act "normal" in real life, but are far from it in their private life. They are not like you (hopefully) or me.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
What do you prefer, a society filled with little assholes that think they know everything? I'm just curious what you think the ideal temperament is for a child?

I present that they are defenseless sheep, as evidenced by a successful mass knife attack. What everyone needs is training in self defense. To raise their competency in life threatening situations.

Vaux

May 24, 2013
Back in the day, parents an teachers were able to punish their children if they did something wrong or misbehaved. Parents and teachers had the upper hand in molding the children to become proper citizens when they become adults.

Today? It's a crapshoot, kids have the upper hand,they do what they want. Medication is being doled out like candy. It's not surprising that this is happening more and more because our children aren't being raised properly.

I totally agree with this. They used to paddle kids at my school back in the 80's. What ever happened to that? I remember the principal walking around with this like 3 foot long paddle that the shop class teacher made for him with some type of engraving in it. People were really scared of getting that paddle.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
How can you be of sound mind and body but commit heinous acts? That's contradictory.

What you mean to say is that they act "normal" in real life, but are far from it in their private life. They are not like you (hopefully) or me.
People less than 25 years of age, especially males, do stupid shit all the time. It is normal for them because their brain hasn't developed to the point that they can fully understand the consequences of their actions. Try to keep in mind that this does not excuse bad behavior, it just means that bad behavior can still be classified as normal. I think this is what SHM is referring to.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I totally agree with this. They used to paddle kids at my school back in the 80's. What ever happened to that? I remember the principal walking around with this like 3 foot long paddle that the shop class teacher made for him with some type of engraving in it. People were really scared of getting that paddle.
Modern psychology has shown that violence begets more violence. Intelligent people know that the way to raise good kids is to train them from an early age to want to be good, not to be good simply because they are afraid of being punished. Hitting your kids just teaches them that it is okay to hit people that don't think/act "correctly" like they do.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I present that they are defenseless sheep, as evidenced by a successful mass knife attack. What everyone needs is training in self defense. To raise their competency in life threatening situations.
Yes and we ALL need training in how to deal with winning the lottery as well.

Sep 7, 2009
Probably a good white boy who smoked pot in his bedroom while listening to death metal songs about murder. Thug not found. If he did wear saggy pants and listened to music about fucking bitches, though, then the thug label would apply. Remember, saggy pants equals thug but camo every day equals good, God-fearing boy.

You're being sarcastic but you're accurate.

From a society perspective, "thug" and "thug culture" is a fairly specific thing. But it has nothing to do with skin color, as you're trying to racistly make out.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
You're being sarcastic but you're accurate.

From a society perspective, "thug" and "thug culture" is a fairly specific thing. But it has nothing to do with skin color, as you're trying to racistly make out.
Hey, I'm not a racist. I would think ill of any black person that wears camo 24/7, not just whitey.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
This is a good question. Did these types of things happen back then with the same regularity and we just didn't hear about them as much, or are these things happening more now?

I do feel like the media has some part to play in the rise of this type of violence. They sensationalize these things, all over the news, websites, twitter, facebook, ect. I really think that plays a part in why these things are continuing to happen. Going postal and taking people out seems to be in style or something.

The murder rate was higher 20 years ago. But as to whether these types of things happened then as well, I'd like to know.

But, I do think this has a lot to do with the over sensationalization of violence. Especially in all these real life video games.

I was watching Pres. Obama give a speech on terrorism and I found it odd how easily he said he was going to "kill" those responsible for ..... I wondered if that is how presidents spoke about death 15-20 years ago.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000

There were still plenty of school shootings in the 80s.

I believe the population growth, and the huge rise in the percentage of homes where both parents work accounts for most of the recent increase in documented school attacks. The rest of it I blame on overprescribed medication and media sensationalism.

0P1SSv8.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_school_shootings_in_the_United_States#1980s

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010

In a letter to a colleague, Benjamin Franklin said to hate someone for no reason is the sign of a sick mind. The colleague in question had written a latter to Franklin. Franklin did not reply fast enough, so the colleague sent Franklin a venom filled letter.

For the most part I agree with Franklin.

To hate someone or inflict harm upon someone else, the person may not be mentally ill, but they may have a sick mind.

Forms of mental illness are passed from one person to the other through our actions and words.

Bullies pick on weak kids, which makes the weak kids angry and bitter.

Hitlers hate filled speeches about the jews spread his anger to the masses.

Hate and anger are just as contagious as any infectious disease. Rather than being spread through bacteria or a virus, hate and anger are spread through our actions and words.

Feb 10, 2000
It is unfortunate (though unsurprising) that a thread on this topic would start with trolling, and immediately descend into the usual venomous white noise about the usual topics, from the usual suspects. Sigh . . .

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I still don't get how the number injured could be so extensive.

Even before any special training my instinct in highschool would have been to use my surroundings as a long range weapon.

Slam him in the head with a fire extinguisher, pick up a desk or table and hold like a shield and bum rush his ass to the ground/wall, etc. Knives are scary as hell but not much some random douche with a knife and no experience is going to be able to do with someone wielding and out distancing him with folding 4x8' table or something .

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005

CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!!!!!

Seriously though, how does a kid smaller than my 12 year old stab 20 people in a school before anyone stops him? I smell bullshit. This kid would have had his head cracked open like a coconut if he tried this in my high school...and not after 20 people.

Feb 4, 2009
CONSPIRACY THEORIST!!!!!!

Seriously though, how does a kid smaller than my 12 year old stab 20 people in a school before anyone stops him? I smell bullshit. This kid would have had his head cracked open like a coconut if he tried this in my high school...and not after 20 people.

I believe he stabbed 7 or 8 people, the others were hurt in the panic

Zaap

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2008

Even before any special training my instinct in highschool would have been to use my surroundings as a long range weapon.

Slam him in the head with a fire extinguisher, pick up a desk or table and hold like a shield and bum rush his ass to the ground/wall, etc. Knives are scary as hell but not much some random douche with a knife and no experience is going to be able to do with someone wielding and out distancing him with folding 4x8' table or something .
Because the reality most people (and especially kids) actually freeze and/or cower when confronted with something as out of the ordinary as another kid wielding a deadly weapon. People (and again, especially kids) love to think they would morph into Bruce Lee and "smack that fool up!" but most people can't/don't.

A small percentage would take action and do something- possibly yourself. But most people wouldn't.