20 People Injured In Stabbing At Pennsylvania High School

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 7, 2009
I guess what is strange to me is that the gun issue is for all intents and purposes decided, with only minor localized squabbling, and the SCOTUS deciding just how far previous rulings for 2A rights actually go.

2A rights continue to expand almost weekly, even in the 9th District.

So why either side immediately soils tragedy with politics is beyond me. My guess is that, like my post, most people are just piling on since it is inevitable the conversation goes in the sewer almost immediately.

History has shown that if self defense rights are not actively promoted that the nutters will try and raise the issue.

Unfortunately it has to be reinforced that this country loves their guns, supports self defense, and we will not allow that to change.

Feb 4, 2009
The rabid antigun people will not admit plebs need guns, even for defense.

You can wait until a police officer (government agent) arrives to deal with the shooter, or in this case a person with a knife.

again this school had an armed guard present

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Here's what i'm getting out of this:

The issue here is that even with gun control, people will still find a way to injure others. Though yes, it could have been deaths with a gun, it didn't prevent the attacks in the first place.

Now here's my question: Where the hell was the guard at?

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Knife rampage: 20 people injured
Gun rampage: 20 people killed

Weapons don't cause violent rampages. People do. But having lower-grade weapons does limit the extent of the carnage.

Bullshit.

You can make a fertilizer bomb and kill hundreds of people instantly.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Here's what i'm getting out of this:

The issue here is that even with gun control, people will still find a way to injure others. Though yes, it could have been deaths with a gun, it didn't prevent the attacks in the first place.

Now here's my question: Where the hell was the guard at?

Probably performing his main task: sweeping up vomit with that pink sawdust crap.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Well, short of turning all of our learning institutions into well armed high security fortresses, stuff like this is bound to happen again. Getting rid of knives will only be replaced with sharp pencils or other such devices that our real prisons have to deal with on a daily basis.

What do we do.....

blake0812

Feb 6, 2014
Well, short of turning all of our learning institutions into well armed high security fortresses, stuff like this is bound to happen again. Getting rid of knives will only be replaced with sharp pencils or other such devices that our real prisons have to deal with on a daily basis.

What do we do.....

I agree, throwing sand at the castle won't repair it. It needs to...well to be honest I'm stumped as to what we need to do.

One thing I know though is that banning things will just go down the chain until we have to ban fists. It's never gonna solve the situation. Tackling the issue head on is ambiguous because there can be normal people who snap.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
A High School Sophomore might have trouble renting the truck to carry that much.

true. but that does not mean they don't have access to it.

also shorties and my point was fucking crazy people are going to find a way. be it guns, knives or bombs.

not to mention there are many ways to make bombs. the pipe bombs are easy to make and easy to get the stuff to. 1 well placed bomb is going to hurt and kill many poeple

hell the boston bombing did a ton of damage with stuff you could buy at any store.

Feb 4, 2009
true. but that does not mean they don't have access to it.

also shorties and my point was fucking crazy people are going to find a way. be it guns, knives or bombs.

not to mention there are many ways to make bombs. the pipe bombs are easy to make and easy to get the stuff to. 1 well placed bomb is going to hurt and kill many poeple

hell the boston bombing did a ton of damage with stuff you could buy at any store.

Agreed to me the key is mental health and maybe some reasonable back ground checks for gun purchases.
My point about the bomb is its tougher to do correctly without either moving a big ass bomb around or having a good chance of blowing yourself up trying to concoct it. Just like its harder to hide a rifle or shotgun vs a pistol or its harder to shoot a couple dozen people with a revolver vs an extended magazine pistol/assault rifle. Again mental health is the key, we need better treatment options, more community involvement, better audit process to make sure people who could be dangerous are treated or under control and better diagnosis of people whom could become dangerous. Its all hard stuff to do but very high gain.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Well at least one positive thing has come from this incident, and that is now we can have a nice debate about gun control. AFAIK we have never had that conversation on this forum before and we can really use it. Hopefully ths thread doesn't die before hitting 100 pages.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
We had some safety classes about how to deal with attackers at our school. First rule is run and hide. Then if cornered throw things at the attacker like books, staplers, chairs and desks. However, it sounds like this happened in a crowded hallway. One person that was stabbed, got stabbed pulling the fire alarm, which got everyone out of the building.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I mean let's just say (and this will never, ever happen..) that you somehow do ban all guns.

You think that will stop some psycho? They will move to homemade bombs, or air dispersed chemicals, or whatever else.

Crazy people will always find a way. You gun grabber nutters have this broken mental viewpoint where you think regulating law-abiding citizens will in turn stop these people. It won't.

Applying logic to crazy people to make your point: not making your point.

Feb 4, 2009
From a student:
She said she didn't know the boy, but he had been in a lot of her classes. "He kept to himself a lot," she said. "He didn't have that many friends that I know of, but I also don't know of him getting bullied that much. I actually never heard of him getting bullied. He just was kind of shy and didn't talk to many people."

Anybody else thinking what I am thinking?

Jan 25, 2011
From a student:
She said she didn't know the boy, but he had been in a lot of her classes. "He kept to himself a lot," she said. "He didn't have that many friends that I know of, but I also don't know of him getting bullied that much. I actually never heard of him getting bullied. He just was kind of shy and didn't talk to many people."

That anyone trying to guess at his motivations are wasting their time?

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
From a student:

That he played DOOM? That a female student has no idea what a male social outcast can experience outside of her view, particularly in a locker room?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
From a student:

that you have a plan on how to take over the world?

that you are finally coming out of the closet?

that you have a major crush on Rosanne bar??

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
Short term solution is to arm the teachers so that instead of teachers running, they can defend the students. Long term solution is to really focus on mental health, that is the biggest and also the hardest issue to solve, not guns.

And a female student saying that she never heard of him getting bullied doesn't mean he wasn't. No need to make assumptions on what happened to cause the kid to go psycho until the investigation is finished.

Feb 4, 2009
My plan to take over the world has been set back a bit, I was thinking about Aspergers or Autism or some other social impediment.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012
Probably not the right time to ask this. But was this kid a ninja with a sword? No other student could stop him?