News $20 million raised in GoFundMe for Trump border wall to be refunded. Kolfage changed the description in a con to keep the funds.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I still don't under all the hoopla over the wall. As part of a layered approach to controlling the border it's not a bad idea. The fifty billion price tag amounts to about six months worth of services for illegals. I don't see talk about that cost on the news every night, so I assume that not many really care about it.
What really boggles me is that we've been talking about this for thirty years, and never taken any decisive action. The only thing that made any difference at all was a major recession after the housing bubble popped, probably not a solution we want to use again.

Citation needed here for the "cost". I have a feeling these are right wing sources, and the reason "mainstream sources" don't report on it is because they are in cahoots to hide the fact...just a hunch.

The wall has other issues (environmental, eminent domain among them) but if the cost of it would actually be made up that quickly in "savings" then I think more people would listen. I would.

You did say layered approach, so I assume you know more than half of illegals don't come across where the wall would be. So the math between cost vs benefit would need to be adjusted.

And "it's not a bad idea" is not an opinion shared by experts I've read. It also doesn't make any sense logically--an unmanned wall across a wasteland isn't going to stop anyone; and a manned wall doesn't need to be a wall. If you mean "additional barriers in certain spots", as I've read the border patrol themselves say would be helpful, then sure. That, however, is not at all what Trump is talking about.