20 degree increase since changing motherboard and case

Vossy96

Mar 16, 2016
My graphics card (R9 380) is hovering around 50 degrees on idle(right now it's at 57), which is hot.

In my previous build it was about 34 on idle. Now granted, the fans on my GPU don't spin on light loads, as they're the Zero Frozr fans, but that should still reflect previous temperatures.

It probably sounds like it's the case but I have strong doubts about it really because the case I got is bigger, and has 3 more fans in. I have 2 outtake fans and 2 intake fans but I don't see why that'd cause it. Under full load it hits about 70-73 maximum, but before it hit 66 max. Obviously that's not enough to damage it, but would consistently being <60 degrees on idle damage my card?

digitaldurandal

Golden Member
Dec 3, 2009
My graphics card (R9 380) is hovering around 50 degrees on idle(right now it's at 57), which is hot.

In my previous build it was about 34 on idle. Now granted, the fans on my GPU don't spin on light loads, as they're the Zero Frozr fans, but that should still reflect previous temperatures.

It probably sounds like it's the case but I have strong doubts about it really because the case I got is bigger, and has 3 more fans in. I have 2 outtake fans and 2 intake fans but I don't see why that'd cause it. Under full load it hits about 70-73 maximum, but before it hit 66 max. Obviously that's not enough to damage it, but would consistently being <60 degrees on idle damage my card?

Could be an issue with the GPU shroud after moving it. You could look into removing it, cleaning up thermal paste job, and putting it back on.

Has the temperature of your CPU gone up since the change? Case size and fan amounts are only one part of the picture. The pressurization, flow, and even turbulence of the air flow in your case makes a difference (but I would not think that huge of a difference)

That being said, your GPU is at a safe temperature. Will it damage your card? No. Will the card last as long as it would at lower temperatures, probably not.

I would honestly not worry about it, but then again I get a new card (or two) at least every 2 years, so longevity is over rated.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
Letting us know what case you had before and after would be a good place to start, as well as your fan setups.