2 years into Trumps economy- Is the worst yet to happen?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/politics/trump-economy-second-anniversary/index.html

My fear is that we've have had it so good for the last 7-8 years that we've forgotten the 2006-08 great depression that wrecked so many people financially. But, with the government shutdown, tariffs, cooldown of the US economy, and the unpredicibility of the stock market, 2019-20 could be a disaster. Something has got to give. Maybe this is the year that everything comes unglued. Thoughts?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
There are many people (and not just dyed-in-the-wool liberals) who are concerned that Trump is in the midst of starting a recession, and the volatility we've seen so far is just the precursor to it. While that would be good for getting Trump out of office after one term, it would hurt a lot of people in the process.

Reactions: ShingenDX

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
This long of a good run is not normal, shit will hit the fan soon.

Government shutdown puts a drag on the US. Hard Brexit throws England and Europe into a tailspin. Plus hasn’t China been in a slump recently?

Sure seems like the iceberg is coming. Maybe we should steer away.

Reactions: Bitek

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Well this economy is consumption based and basically hanging by POS made in CHINA can openers that people have to replace every 2 months.

Anyone know a good can opener that actually lasts a while?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well this economy is consumption based and basically hanging by POS made in CHINA can openers that people have to replace every 2 months.

Anyone know a good can opener that actually lasts a while?
I've been using a hand can open for awhile now.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Devil's Advocate: what is all the instability and uncertainty Trump is putting out there is actually taking the juice out of a "runaway expansion" and blunting a cyclic contraction/bear market?

Not saying it's 5d chess or anything, but just a lucky coincidence of all the actually competent folks out there taking advanced precautions against a downturn.

The company I work for has scaled back hiring plans, bonuses, pay increases, etc in anticipation of... Something. I'm hearing the same from others as well.

Just an anecdotal take.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Devil's Advocate: what is all the instability and uncertainty Trump is putting out there is actually taking the juice out of a "runaway expansion" and blunting a cyclic contraction/bear market?

Not saying it's 5d chess or anything, but just a lucky coincidence of all the actually competent folks out there taking advanced precautions against a downturn.
The company I work for has scaled back hiring plans, bonuses, pay increases, etc in anticipation of... Something. I'm hearing the same from others as well.

Just an anecdotal take.

- Same here, and I am a contractor so that will suck eventually.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000

This one is better and should last awhile. I think it came out in the 50s. It even opens beer bottle tops and coke bottles from Mexico.
21zd1DB9WBL.jpg

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
This one is better and should last awhile. I think it came out in the 50s. It even opens beer bottle tops and coke bottles from Mexico.
21zd1DB9WBL.jpg
I have a solar powered electric but back to the subject, of course and obviously the worse is yet to happen. The four horseman haven't shown up yet.

Reactions: lsd

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
21zd1DB9WBL.jpg

Hard to carry on a key ring like the p38 pcgeek showed. I've still got one on my key ring....been hanging there (on whatever key ring I'm currently using) since 1972. Luckily, I got one of the steel versions as later versions were aluminum and didn't last nearly as long.

Reactions: pcgeek11

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
On a somewhat related personal note...I found out today that another one of my friends is about to retire and start a blog/work on some pet projects. That makes five friends I know who've retired before the age of 45. We all graduated college '01 (short recession due to 9/11 & dot com bomb) and have been investing aggressive ever since (obviously these friends were earning a lot more than I was, were more savvy with the stock market and most didn't have kids.) I'm sure they took a hit in '08, but cut losses and doubled down on the banks. It's been a hell of a run, and I expect there are a ton more people in my generation who have accumulated wealth faster than their parents could dream.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Our market goes through ups and downs, we've seen the ups, the downs will follow.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
We have a president who thrives on manufactured crisis's, has a predilection towards bottom feeding and desperately needs a diversion. It doesn't take a clairvoyant to predicate there will be a Trump Recession in the near future. And since regulatory oversight and much of the safety net has been revoked this will be a doozy.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Did Swing-A-Way start sucking? I bought mine in 1985 and it's still opening cans like a can opening boss with a can opening fetish.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
In my short lifetime I've never seen trickle down economics work. What I have seen is Bill Clinton's presidency end with a fairly decent economy. His predecessor didn't do as well. Bush junior's presidency killed the economy, and Obama had to spend greatly to get it moving again. Trump inherited a decent economy, and all signs point toward him effing it up given a full 8 years, unless he is out after this term it may hang on. You can tell me the president doesn't really affect the economy as it is generally cyclical in nature anyway, but I disagree, I think the wrong move like a tax cut when the economy is doing well can eff up the economy.

Reactions: Muse
Nov 8, 2012
Government shutdown puts a drag on the US. Hard Brexit throws England and Europe into a tailspin. Plus hasn’t China been in a slump recently?

Sure seems like the iceberg is coming. Maybe we should steer away.

Can't. You can thank globalization.

Hence why when we fell (great recession) - the rest of the world fell with us.

Sadly we are attached to the hip with China. The trade war might actually prove to help us in the long run - I've read plenty of stories of businesses that are scared shitless and are just taking the safe route and moving their operations to outside countries (Taiwan, India, etc...) for safety.... Which makes sense, even if this trade war is "resolved" I guarantee there will be plenty of scrutiny for years to come.

Nov 8, 2012
In my short lifetime I've never seen trickle down economics work. What I have seen is Bill Clinton's presidency end with a fairly decent economy. His predecessor didn't do as well. Bush junior's presidency killed the economy, and Obama had to spend greatly to get it moving again. Trump inherited a decent economy, and all signs point toward him effing it up given a full 8 years, unless he is out after this term it may hang on. You can tell me the president doesn't really affect the economy as it is generally cyclical in nature anyway, but I disagree, I think the wrong move like a tax cut when the economy is doing well can eff up the economy.

If you're going to make assertions like this - at least point to WHY you think that is. I'm kinda getting tired of the Trump fearmongering without any explanations as to what he is doing that leads to economic collapse. Blanket statements like "he is deregulating!" doesn't work either.

Example: Tax Reform: You can talk about this all day - the most it will affect is our government's revenue. This may lead to slightly more debt - but as we learned in the Obama presidency, debt load ultimately doesn't have much sway in our economy. The debt load of the government doesn't determine if you and me go out and buy worthless crap.