2 years and $60,000 later

troglodytis

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
and i am the world's newest certified flight instructor, helictoper.

i got my ass totally kicked all over the place on the practicle. 6 hours oral, 3 hours flight. actualy shorter than i had expected.

look out world, i'm training people to fly helicopters! that is, after i find a job.

Koing

Elite Member <br> Super Moderator<br> Health and F
Oct 11, 2000
Congrats dude!

If you don't mind me asking how much does a flight instructor in the states make?

Always wanted to fly :D

Koing

Winchester

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2003
Congrats,

How much do you charge?

Ive got 23 hours towards fixed wing, but would love to switch to helicopter, before its too late.

troglodytis

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Koing

If you don't mind me asking how much does a flight instructor in the states make?

i estimate that i will make $15-18k my first full year. not a lot of $, to be sure. the point is to build hours as an instructor so that i become insurable in larger aircraft. i am certain i will love teaching, so i don't know if i will want to jump ship to other commercial opperations at minimum time.

how much is helicopter gonna set you back

i doubt i will ever own a helicopter. the model i trained in, and will most likely train others in, is the robinson r-22. i think it sells for $190,000.

the $60k included rental costs.

Yossarian

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
congratulations troglodytis! that is quite an accomplishment. I'm working towards my fixed wing instructor rating, my goal is two years. I would like to eventually move on to helicopters too. fortunately I live near the robinson factory in torrance so there are a few good rotary wing schools around here.

troglodytis

Golden Member
Nov 29, 2000
it cost me about $20k to get me private pilot helicopter rating

keep in mind it took me longer than the average bear. my feet just didn't want to play.

most schools quote minimum times at a cost of 10-15 grand. i think 16-18 grand is probably average spent.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Colt45
Originally posted by: Rufio
whatever happened to grasshopper??

he was a pansy ass bitch, and then he got banned for being a lame pansy ass bitch.
More specifically, we found out he was a re-incarnated pansy ass troll, so as with the AT rules, all trolls are to stay banned.

Dunbar

Platinum Member
Feb 19, 2001
I fly fixed wing but I've been wanting to take a chopper lesson. Near downtown Chicago the closest place is about an hour away...

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Congrats. I don't have the time, and more importantly the money, but if I am ever independently wealthy I think that the first thing I'd do (after buying a nice car and vacationing for a bit) would be to take up flight lessons, probably in a fixed wing aircraft though, although helicopters are darn nice too, for my flying from my penthouse to my country house :)

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ViRGE

he was a pansy ass bitch, and then he got banned for being a lame pansy ass bitch.
More specifically, we found out he was a re-incarnated pansy ass troll, so as with the AT rules, all trolls are to stay banned.

Who was he?

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: ViRGE

that is funny because Paulson and Brooks used to be banned. Brooks came back under a different name and wasn't banned. They just let Paulson back here and he became an Elite.