2 U-VA Fraternities suspended over Black Face/other photos

Parrotheader

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Just breezed through the first few paragraphs, but seems like the EXACT same thing happened at Auburn a year or two ago.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
This is one of those touchy feely racial issues that I just don't get. Its a friggin' Halloween costume. I wore whiteface along with my "Clockwork Orange" costume awhile back...why can't peeps wear blackface?? This is ridiculous.

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Insensative and tasteless
However, I am not sure Colleges should try to get in the buisness of making sure all the students exibit good taste and sensitivity.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
<<The Kappa Sigma fraternity suspended its University of Tennessee chapter Wednesday after members painted their faces in black to appear as the Jackson 5.

The fraternity apologized in the campus newspaper this week. It said the members wore blackface to participate in an "air guitar" contest as the music group.

The suspension means the chapter will not be allowed to participate in campus events such as homecoming next week.

>>>

OMG. That is just sad. Those guys really didn't do anything wrong and didn't set out to intentionally offend anyone. It was an contest and they went as a group, as the jackson five. Man some people are WAY too uptight.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The Auburn one involved KKK references and blackface, which I agree is somewhat over the line.
Dressing up as The Jackson Five or the Williams sisters?
rolleye.gif
Would it be OK if they had just worn Venus and Serena masks?
I'm not sure I get the Uncle Sam thing...

Seems like we're getting a little too overzealous with this diversity crap.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Here in Holland its quite a big tradition for people (young and old) to paint their faces black when they are in any Sinta Klaus (Santa) celebrations or parades. Its not considered to be rude in this culture at all.

Spoooon

Lifer
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero
The Auburn one involved KKK references and blackface, which I agree is somewhat over the line.
Dressing up as The Jackson Five or the Williams sisters?
rolleye.gif
Would it be OK if they had just worn Venus and Serena masks?
I'm not sure I get the Uncle Sam thing...

Seems like we're getting a little too overzealous with this diversity crap.

The Venus and Serena ones don't seem too bad. However, one year where I went to school at, there were some students dressed up as Aunt Jemima and some other black figures. But it wasn't done in a "everyone can think it's funny" kind of way. It was pretty objectionable.

CJZ

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
Originally posted by: aphexII
Here in Holland its quite a big tradition for people (young and old) to paint their faces black when they are in any Sinta Klaus (Santa) celebrations or parades. Its not considered to be rude in this culture at all.

I think the problem in the US is that in the past blackface was used by white perfomers who gave unflattering portrayals of blacks.

klah

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2002
Originally posted by: aphexII

OMG, Black Pete owns j00! (in Belgium anyway)