2 steam games crash constantly

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
NFS undercover which i just got and Deus ex 3 which i got on release day.
Both appear to be updated auto in Steam and appear to have the latest updates. All the other steam games run great. but i can't seem to get these 2 running worth a crap.

i don't OC or do any config specifics. DE i'm using max settings, NFS i can't even get to change settings but their at their lowest possible and 640 resolution.

specs: W7x64 HP, new install. latest stable drivers.
NV 580gtx
AMD phantom 4 core
6 gigs ddr3 ram

Problem:
DE: crashes got worse once i entered the streets. After i took on a mission from that detective guy for that old lady, i saved it and it now crashes after 3 seconds or so from getting into the game. Always crashes to desktop, sometimes i'm forced to CNTRL ALT DLT or reboot.

NFS UC: it crashes during the video scene after you outrun the cops in the very beginning. When that FBI asian hot chick talks, it crashes to desktop somewhere during that.

what i've tried:

i reinstalled windows.
i tried 3 different NV drivers, including one obtained from WUpdates. i clean unisntalled before trying another.

No one else seems to have issues with DE on that 1.6.22 update which i have. not sure why, but would be nice to play what i payed for.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Did you happen to try deleting the local data files and redownloading? I had to do that with a couple games.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Did you happen to try deleting the local data files and redownloading? I had to do that with a couple games.

you mean remove the game from steam?
no i did not try that. but if it helped you i will do that now.

i keep steam on my D drive so i don't worry about recovering.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
you mean remove the game from steam?
no i did not try that. but if it helped you i will do that now.

i keep steam on my D drive so i don't worry about recovering.

Right click on the game, go to Properties, Local Files tab and Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

This will check your local files against the copy over at Steam HQ and re-download anything that may have been corrupted or incorrectly downloaded.

Also, visit the Steam Forum. This will rule out any specific issue the game might have with Steam. These issues are rare and unusual though. Plus, with game-specific forums, they have a big concentration of information for you in one area.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I've already written off Undercover as a loss.

But at $2 it's easier to swallow.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I've already written off Undercover as a loss.

But at $2 it's easier to swallow.

yeah, i got it for $2.49 i think. but i take it, it didnt run for you? i know the game didnt get good reviews but for that price if i play it for 2hrs i got my moneys worth. unfortunately i couldnt even get 5 minutes.

Right click on the game, go to Properties, Local Files tab and Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

This will check your local files against the copy over at Steam HQ and re-download anything that may have been corrupted or incorrectly downloaded.

Also, visit the Steam Forum. This will rule out any specific issue the game might have with Steam. These issues are rare and unusual though. Plus, with game-specific forums, they have a big concentration of information for you in one area.

thanks, thats some good info for next time. i'm redownloading now. if it happens still i may look into other forums, but likely i'll just end up playing something else and forget about it.

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
I got a few error messages when I first installed it. I don't remember exactly what they were, something video related I think.

I clicked on the icon out of curiosity and it started, but it looks absolutely terrible on my screen at any resolution; all squished, basically unplayable.

And to top it off it won't recognize my gamepad. I played a few seconds with the keyboard arrows before saying "screw it".

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
There's something wrong with my Deus Ex Steam install also, although it wasn't from the beginning. Every time I launch it it remains at the connecting box for several minutes and eventually it connects. I also had two crashes so far, for 70-ish hours of play, I can totally live with that.

I tend to blame my CPU for this, not because it is necessarily the cause, but because I want to upgrade it :p

fastcuda

Sep 1, 2000
I gave up on super meat boy, I sent a complaint and they sent me very lengthy instructions on how to try to fix the DRM< I'll just quit buying stuff on steam.

Last edited: