2 questions about workout related items

Aug 6, 2002
1. how do you guys/girls clean your workout gloves? i know some of you throw them in the washer, but can i use febreze antimicrobial spray on the days that i don't wash them? it claims to kill 99.9% of odor causing bacteria. i'm not really worried about the odor, just the bacteria in general i guess (are odor causing bacteria and "other" bacteria different?"). how often should you wash your gloves? mine are made of majority leather and pieces of fabric.

2. i was reading SVTCobra's information on protein, and remember seeing someone say taking whey protein with milk is bad. is this true? what are the pros/cons of taking whey protein with water vs. milk?

thanks in advance.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Whey protein is digested fairly rapidly when consumed by itself in water. Milk contains protein too, but it is a slower-digesting one. The carbs in milk (lactose) are also pretty slow digesting.

The net effect is that whey+milk will take longer to be absorbed by your body than whey + water.

In the hour following your workout, it is generally desirable to get nutrients to your muscles as quickly as possible, so whey + water would be the best choice in this situation. Some people speed up the digestion even more by adding some simple carbs to the mix such as dextrose.

For all other meals, and especially the one before bed, whey + milk would probably be better. However, you can also mix the whey with water and then eat something else in place of the milk. I like oats myself. They contain fiber and are digested pretty slowly, so the overall meal will also be digested pretty slowly.

Judgement

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
AFAIK taking whey with milk just makes your body absorb it slower. Right after a workout I would take it with water because you want it absorbed quickly, but before bed I would take it with milk because I wont be getting anymore protein for several hours... but it has been awhile since I did research on this info.

My gloves were almost never washed and I would replace them after about 6 months when I was working out daily.

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
Mmmm, protein gloves.

Anyway, I don't worry about washing my gloves, but that's because I habitually wash my hands once I'm done with my time at the gym along with once I get home.