2 Prominent American Jewish leaders upset after seeing Gibsons "The Passion"

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Mr. Foxman said that at the Winter Park screening audience members were asked to sign an agreement that, according to a copy he read to a reporter over the telephone, required them to keep confidential their "exposure, knowledge and opinions of the film" and of a question-and-answer session with Mr. Gibson. But the agreement, as read by Mr. Foxman, added that "pastors and church leaders are free to speak out in support of the movie and your opinions resulting from today's exposure to this project and its producer."

That makes me laugh.

Feb 3, 2001
How can you be an anti-semite *and* a Christian? Your *SAVIOR* was a Jew! :)

Personally, I'll reserve judgment until I see the film.

Jason

chess9

Elite member
Apr 15, 2000
Well, we'll see.

The hype alone about this movie is probably going to guarantee that it draws a huge opening audience. Whether it continues to earn money will depend, principally, on the quality of the production. Very few people are going to be turned off by the characterization of the jews as greedy money lenders. I saw an interview last night with a rabbi whose comments were, in my view, not very strong. If the film is anti-semitic it is so sotto voce that the vast majority of people will not pick up on it. I have heard for years the story about the Jews' role in the crucifixion of Christ and have no doubt that it is largely fabricated out of whole cloth. But, when you think about it, it makes for great tension in the whole story, n'est pas? A creative person would be sorely tempted to use it....

If anyone gets their religion from this movie, woe is us. Thinking people will parse out the nonsense. Bigots will wallow in it.

-Robert

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I'm going to get the Right Wing Catholic Nut-case Anti-Defamation League on your ass.