2 piece toilet repair..

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
So I have a 2 piece toilet thats always flushing.. I haven't used it for months but one night it was going off so many times, I turn off the water to the fill valve.. Load an behold, the tank was empty by morning..

So I bought this fluid master repair kit. I took everything off, clean the tank, lost of rust/hardwater inside. Replaced everything, according to instructions and its leaking between the tank and actual toilet. Everything seems to be right, I'm not sure how tight I need to screw the bolts down, not in the instructions. Maybe I just need to reseat the gaskets.. any suggestions

https://www.fluidmaster.com/toilet/part-type/repair-kits/

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Sounds like the bolts holding the tank to the bowl aren't tight enough, or you didn't put the washers on them. You can crank them down pretty snug, you'll know if you over tighten them because the flange on the bowl will break.

Reactions: pcgeek11

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Did you replace the gasket that goes between the tank and the bowl?

nvermind...i just saw your part about re-seating it...

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
it is either leaking at the gasket or the flapper....you try adding some food color to the tank water and then holding down the flapper to see if it still leaks....if it does, the issue should be with the gasket...

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
it is either leaking at the gasket or the flapper....you try adding some food color to the tank water and then holding down the flapper to see if it still leaks....if it does, the issue should be with the gasket...
I was thinking that it leaks onto the floor, that wouldn't be the flapper valve.

Sgt. York

Mar 27, 2016
Sounds like he replaced the ballcock and flapper. In the process he did something to cause a leak between the tank and pot. Assuming the tank isn't cracked at one of the bolt holes, he needs to remove the tank and replace the gasket/seal. Torquing the two bolts is always touchy.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Was leaking at the gasket, not the bolts..

Looks like the gasket was a bit too small from fluidmaster, thickness wasnt enough.. my plumber wanted to replace the whole toilet, unfortunately im not buying a third toilet this year yet.

i had a spare gasket that was a bit thinner.. I basically slap the two gasket together under the tank and mount it to the bowl slowly... isn't the best idea, but its not leaking.

Unfortunately the flapper has a curve and its leaking down the flapper... fluidmaster is sending a new flapper

Attachments

• IMG_0957.jpg
    IMG_0957.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0958.JPG
    IMG_0958.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 9

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
I'm sorry you've had these issues and I don't mean to pick on you but, toilets aren't rocket science! They're a simple mechanism that hasn't changed much in a hundred years. There's one inlet and one outlet. Everything inbetween follows function.

rsutoratosu

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2011
Nope. not exactly.. there are different size gaskets.. if you just go buy a generic toilet repair kit, they mostly say 2", they also sell 3" ones for specific brand.. unfortunately the 2" one did not fit mine which required a taller thicker gasket.

Without any marking on the toilet, you dont know what brand and model it is. There as a date stamp of 1993 on it and thats it.. The only gasket I found that was thicker are for gerber toilets. I still dont know what model this toilet is but stacking 2 gaskets made it working..