Question 2 NVMe Controllers in Device Manager, which is for what SSD?

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
So in my Alienware 15 m5 R7 AMD, it has 2 SSD slots, in slot 1, I have the WD SN810 1TB SSD and in slot 2 I have a Toshiba Kioxia KXG70PN84T094TB 4TB SSD.

I am wanting to install the WD NVMe Driver but how can I know which of the NVMe controllers is attached to which SSD slot? I don't want to install the WD NVMe driver on the wrong controller

2022-05-21_080036.png

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
Well, if it doesn't install the it's the other one. Also those are the slot controllers on the board not the drives themselves. The drives would be under disks higher up. And usually the controllers on the drives would be firmware not a driver.

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
The installer takes care of all that. You don't need to know which drive is in which slot.
Tried installing it on both, none of them found a driver. Weird. I know I can force install them but then I wouldn't know which controller is the one behind the Western Digital SSD

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Tried installing it on both, none of them found a driver. Weird. I know I can force install them but then I wouldn't know which controller is the one behind the Western Digital SSD

do you really need a driver to begin with? should have been installed automatically.

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
@Super Spartan
Check the HardwareIDs of the listed "Standard NVM Express Controllers" (right-click onto them and choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".
If the related HardwareIDs are different (from different vendors or just different models), you will know which one of the listed Controllers belongs to which specific NVMe SSD.

Reactions: Super Spartan

Super Spartan

Aug 1, 2020
@Super Spartan
Check the HardwareIDs of the listed "Standard NVM Express Controllers" (right-click onto them and choose the options "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareIDs".
If the related HardwareIDs are different (from different vendors or just different models), you will know which one of the listed Controllers belongs to which specific NVMe SSD.
Still can't figure out which controller is managing which SSD, does this tell you anything?

2022-05-22_120725.png