2 Los Angeles cops shot in an ambush

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
We create what we fear by self justified repression of what we assume in our ignorance to be the proper way to deal with evil and in the process create what we fear in the form of what is imagined to be the proper but merely self justified response to that repression. Our culture has failed to universally respond to violence with self restraint. Those with the emotional development to handle violence with forgiveness are thought of as fools. Restraint, in my opinion isn't pacifism, but the unemotional intention to remove violent people from society to treat then in a manner where they can't harm others, where they are given a chance to develop emotionally their unfortunate past has prevented from happening.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Not just predominately but rather overwhelmingly peaceful. Hundreds if not thousands of protests occurred all over the country. Very few had anything more destructive than graffiti. Mere fact. The rest is fear mongering.

Shooting people who are just sitting in their car is utterly wrong. The perp needs to be caught & imprisoned.
Thousands of people drive cars every day, and "very few" have accidents. Does not diminish the consequences of the ones who do. The rioting in Minneapolis destroyed entire blocks, including many minority businesses, which will probably never come back.

There has to be some kind of balance. In Minneapolis, the response was very inadequate to the George Floyd riots for the first 2 or 3 nights. After that, the entire Minnesota national guard was mobilized, and the violence disappeared quickly. We have had continued protests, but only one or two more nights of violence, which were quickly controlled.
I can somewhat understand this (although we definitely should have been better prepared, especially after the first night), because the violence involved many more participants than were expected. What I dont understand is how, like in Portland, violence can seem to just to on and on indefinitely.

As I said in another thread, I also believe the BLM movement needs some sort of responsible national leadership to call for the protests to remain peaceful and to denounce violence, much as in the 60s with MLK and others.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I saw some surveillance video of the two of them after the shooting. She is bleeding profusely from the wound to her jaw and arm, but she is caring for him and trying to get a tourniquet on his bleeding arm.
She was a tough woman in a tough situation, taking charge.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
No, I'm not. I understand exactly what he meant. He is no better than those "protesters" outside the hospital wishing for the police to die.
You are completely missing the point. The responses here are mimicking you and posters like you whenever an unarmed black person is is shot or murdered. I bet you don't even know Breonna Taylors killers who were cops are still on the streets. Your responses are as predictable as Trump lying.

I'll raise my concern level for these cops when Breonna's killers are arrested and prosecuted.
I'll raise my concern level when cops who shoot unarmed black people stop falsifying their police reports.
I'll raise my concern level for these cops when PDs stop burying cases involving killing of unarmed black people ala Ahmed Arbury.
I'll raise my concern level when PDs stop bestowing white privilege on killers like Kyle Rittenhouse. Allowing him to strut away of a murder scene like some Aryan peacock

Last edited:
Reactions: Meghan54

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
A friend of mine told me she heard some people at a restaurant in Kansas City metro area talking about the best source to buy machine guns "when the time comes to shoot some liberals", "and "some great pre-election gun sales going on right now". I trust her as she isnt one to lie. Scary.
What’s even scarier is that someone felt compelled to attempt to assassinate two police officers, and even more people felt compelled to protest outside the hospital where they were being treated and wish for their deaths.

Reactions: Thunder 57

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I saw some surveillance video of the two of them after the shooting. She is bleeding profusely from the wound to her jaw and arm, but she is caring for him and trying to get a tourniquet on his bleeding arm.
She was a tough woman in a tough situation, taking charge.
I was amazed how calm and collective she was despite her wounds, caring for her partner while also scanning for additional threats.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
What’s even scarier is that someone felt compelled to attempt to assassinate two police officers, and even more people felt compelled to protest outside the hospital where they were being treated and wish for their deaths.
Not any more scary the APD cops laughing it up after killing Elijah McClain

Reactions: dank69

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Do we even know the motive of the shooter? Obviously, it could have been a random racially motivated incident, but could it not have been a personal vendetta? Perhaps these two officers had arrested the shooter before or some of his friends? I am reserving judgement as well on the "protests" outside the hospital and whether they were wishing for the officers to die. I have not seen that confirmed outside of these forums. In any case, Trump publicly fanned the flames even further by essentially stating the shooter should be executed (as he did 5 innocent people in New York).

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Trump's America is such a divided shithole now. Cops and communities pitted against each other.
Compare and contrast to Obama and Biden presidency, invite both the police officer and the victim to the White House and have a chat and a beer.
1600147809278.png

Back then I thought this is just feel good bullshit, but now that we have a president that is not only incapable of this, but is deliberately trying to incite a race war, I got a newly found appreciation for feel good bullshit.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
You are completely missing the point. The responses here are mimicking you and posters like you whenever an unarmed black person is is shot or murdered. I bet you don't even know Breonna Taylors killers who were cops are still on the streets. Your responses are as predictable as Trump lying.

I'll raise my concern level for these cops when Breonna's killers are arrested and prosecuted.
I'll raise my concern level when cops who shoot unarmed black people stop falsifying their police reports.
I'll raise my concern level for these cops when PDs stop burying cases involving killing of unarmed black people ala Ahmed Arbury.
I'll raise my concern level when PDs stop bestowing white privilege on killers like Kyle Rittenhouse. Allowing him to strut away of a murder scene like some Aryan peacock

Mimicking me?
Really?
I don't think so.

So in your mind all cops need to be assassinated.

My point being Nobody deserves to be shot down like this regardless of their color or profession.

And people that celebrate these types of crimes are just as bad as the killer or attempted killer.

Last edited:

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Mimicking me?
Really?
I don't think so.

My point being Nobody deserves to be shot down like this regardless of their color or profession.

And people that celebrate these types of crimes are just as bad as the killer or attempted killer.

Speaking about packing maximum amount of stupid into one single post.

Reactions: Meghan54 and dank69

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Mimicking me?
Really?
I don't think so.

You must have an awfully durable straw man. It's taking a beating right now.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Mimicking me?
Really?
I don't think so.

For someone who gets really pissy about "I didn't say that" you sure as hell have a way of dishonestly representing other's positions.

Last edited:

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
For someone who gets really pissy about "I didn't say that" you sure as hell have a way of dishonestly representing other's positions.

I didn't "dishonestly" misrepresent anything.

That is the impression I received from his post I was replying too.

• Haha

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mimicking me?
Really?
I don't think so.

Oh really? You don't remember Ahmed Arbury must have done something?

I'll give you another mocking imitation...

Aren't more cops killed by COVID-19 then assassinations? Why aren't you worried about that??

See the pattern? Like when you guys always bring up Chicago?

Having said that I want the person who shot the cops caught and prosecuted but as long a PDs around the country refuse to enact needed reforms on policing especially in communities of color my concern remains low.

Reactions: skyking and dank69

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005

Aren't more cops killed by COVID-19 then assassinations? Why aren't you worried about that??

Having said that I want the person who shot the cops caught and prosecuted but as long a PDs around the country refuse to enact needed reforms on policing especially in communities of color my concern remains low.

Ahmed Arbury must have done something?

You need to provide a link for that, as I have never said it. You should either link it or apologize for a lying.

Nice attempt at a deflection. LOL We are not discussing Covid-19.

I'm not " You Guys".
I don't recall the last time I said anything about Chicago...

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018

That is just a sick sentiment, and a gross overgeneralization. I didnt reply to your earlier post expressing the same sentiment, because I though you must be being sarcastic. But apparently not. We have *no* indication that these officers that were shot have engaged in any kind of discriminatory or abusive behavior, although even that would not justify being ambushed. But, I guess if one is a policeman, they are assumed guilty until proven innocent.

BTW, this kind of hatred of the police will not lead to reform, and plays perfectly into the hands of Trumps law and order agenda.

Reactions: pcgeek11

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You need to provide a link for that, as I have never said it. You should either link it or apologize for a lying.

Nice attempt at a deflection. LOL We are not discussing Covid-19.

I'm not " You Guys".
I don't recall the last time I said anything about Chicago...
You mean like you lying about me wanting cops assassinated? Good luck with that Skippy.

BTW - One of your Chicago deflections whan someone brings up a crime in another part of the country