2 copies of same game on Steam?

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
I am playing Rust. My granddaughter (she lives with us) wants to play too.
I have Rust installed on my PC, how do I install it on her laptop?
Can I just buy another copy or do I need another Steam account?
TIA

EDIT
You have to be logged into Steam to play.
I play on a moded server that at this time, doesn't allow raiding or fighting.

Last edited:

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I play on a moded server that at this time, doesn't allow raiding or fighting.

What's the point of playing rust then? ;)

You will need to buy the game for her either with your account and gift it to her or use her account and buy it but she will also need a account with steam.

The problem with sharing the game with family sharing is the game can only be played on one account at the same time and if a person gets vac banned while using it the original owner gets it also so it's not worth the risk.

In either case make sure her computer can handle the game and I hope she is old enough to play the game as nudity in it could be a issue.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
two steam accounts can not be logged in at the same time.

so no, your grand daughter would need to get her own steam account and you would need to either gift it to her, or buy it for her on her account.

Your best option is probably to buy it on your account as a gift, and then gift it over to her account so u dont associate your CC info on her account incase it gets compromised.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I know Valve was working on some kind of family share package for Steam, but, in its current state , it likely wont help you at all.

It would be nice if steam would let you have some kinda multi-license for multiple household members on one account to play together ... or it would be nice if steam would let multiple household members play different games at the same time on the same account .. but .. there are some clear limitations...