2/3 of parents are... really ignorant.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
I'm surprised only 63%. It depends on the situation. If I felt the US was about to be nuked I would be gunning it for their school, but only because I'd be leaving the city once I had them. An earthquake I may wait because I know that their caregivers have various plans in place.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
The authors of the study, released Thursday on the seventh anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks, said that despite years of government efforts to enhance disaster preparedness, schools need to do more to plan for disasters and parents need to be made aware of the plans.

Among parents of school-age children, 45 percent said they do not know the location where their children would be evacuated as part of the school's disaster plan.

It sounds like the schools need to do a better job at keeping the parents informed of this kind of thing. It is not uncommon for schools to not go that extra mile to keep parents informed about these kinds of plans and procedures. With that said, as a parent, if I did not feel confident that the schools were prepared to take good care of my child during such a disaster then I would go get him.

alphatarget1, you have already informed us that you do not have kids, but have you ever been in a city where a major disaster struck to the point where pretty much no one had power and a lot of people could not even leave due to so much debris or flooding everywhere? I am talking something like Hurricane Andrew here.

Once you both have kids and go through something like that then it becomes very apparent as to why picking them up might be a better idea depending on the specifics of the situation.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
OP FAIL.

You know, it's great to see P&N rally together for once!

Should rename the thread:

"1/3 of Parents 'meh' on Childrens' Survival"

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Totally depends on the context/situation.

Extremely good chance I'd go for them in most all circumstances though.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Genx87
Heh ok, when you have kids your tune will change. I actually find it a bit worrysome 37% of parents would be fine letting their kids be under the care of someone else during a mandatory evacuation or time of need.

Exactly. As a parent of 3, my kids are safest with me - PERIOD. No offense to people who work in schools and such but during an emergency situation, I don't trust any of them with my kid(s). There are just too many kids for them to care for in a high stress emergency and likely someone or something will be overlooked.

So you prefer to excerbate the problem out of self-interest? Good for you:roll:.

The fact is, if there are emergency procedures, follow them. People like you would most definitely get shot by soldiers for disobeying the rules during a state of emergency.

You are god damned right. My children are MY responsibility and that soldier would have to shoot me to keep me from getting to them. I DO have the supplies, resources, and abilities to either get out or hunker down.

But you go ahead and let .gov provide for your safety. I heard the Super Dome was a great place to be after Katrina.

I also heard the government warning people to get out of LA before Katrina hit:roll:. One of the fundamental roles of government comes into being during emergencies. Idiots that want to be heros or follow their instincts and try to be with their kids when the best thing to do is follow emergency will be the bumps in the road when the military is given a shoot-to-kill order.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
I also heard the government warning people to get out of LA before Katrina hit:roll:. One of the fundamental roles of government comes into being during emergencies. Idiots that want to be heros or follow their instincts and try to be with their kids when the best thing to do is follow emergency will be the bumps in the road when the military is given a shoot-to-kill order.

This story states that the 45% of the parents didn't even know what the procedures were. Not relying on the unknown when it comes to disasters and protecting your kids is a wise thing to do.

The schools need to find a way to better inform the parents and fill them with more confidence if they wish for this problem to be reduced. Simply saying, "Please don't do this for XXX reason" is not working and I don't expect it to ever work.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
How they answer a poll and how they act in real life may be light and day. I have a child I might answer the poll the wrong way, but if it really happened I would probably not do it.

daniel49

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2005
I remember when my kids were smaller the school decided to make all parents buy earthquake preparedness kits.
Mainly consisting of food and drink for the kids in the event of "the big one."

Well I grudgingly went along with it for a couple of years as with four kids that was spending more money , that I didn't have.
Then when I saw the policy was at the end of the year to have a party and eat all the supplies, I decided to refuse , knowing full well that if there ever was an earthquake what I would do.

Drive or walk to the school and get my children immediately.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Originally posted by: Darwin333
Originally posted by: CADsortaGUY
Originally posted by: Genx87
Heh ok, when you have kids your tune will change. I actually find it a bit worrysome 37% of parents would be fine letting their kids be under the care of someone else during a mandatory evacuation or time of need.

Exactly. As a parent of 3, my kids are safest with me - PERIOD. No offense to people who work in schools and such but during an emergency situation, I don't trust any of them with my kid(s). There are just too many kids for them to care for in a high stress emergency and likely someone or something will be overlooked.

So you prefer to excerbate the problem out of self-interest? Good for you:roll:.

The fact is, if there are emergency procedures, follow them. People like you would most definitely get shot by soldiers for disobeying the rules during a state of emergency.

You are god damned right. My children are MY responsibility and that soldier would have to shoot me to keep me from getting to them. I DO have the supplies, resources, and abilities to either get out or hunker down.

But you go ahead and let .gov provide for your safety. I heard the Super Dome was a great place to be after Katrina.

Its pretty common knowledge that most of those people where people the state/city knew did not have the ability to get out of town. So they told them to follow the "emergency plan" and go to the shelter of last resort....

I doubt that you have children and if you do, where in the hell do you get all this faith in .gov? What exactly do they do RIGHT? Now you want to leave your childrens lives in their hands when the shit hits the fan???

Hell, I can give you dozens of first hand horror stories from the evacuation shelters during Gustov. I can promise you, come hell or high water .gov will NEVER put my children in one of those places.

It is not a joke to some people when they say the scariest thing to hear is "We are from the government and we are here to help". You enjoy the stories your kids tell you about the Superdoom (or whatever it may be) though. My kids will be very far away.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: alphatarget1
The survey found that 63 percent of parents would ignore orders to evacuate...

Originally posted by: alphatarget1
If you look at any newer (and I presume older also) building codes, schools/hospitals/essential facilities are at the very least designed for 50% more forces than your home. I don't know about the exact number as I've never worked on a school/hospital before. Schools and hospitals fall under a different jurisdiction (meaning they have a different code than, say, IBC), and they check your work over and over again to make sure you didn't screw up. Construction, I'd imagine, is also controlled a lot better.

My point is that schools are safer structure compared to homes.

Who the fuck cares how well the school is built if they're given orders to evacuate?

I don't have kids myself, but if I did, the first thing I would do would be to go get them and make sure they're all right. I'll bet you that those 37% of parents who said they would follow "proper procedure" would do exactly the same thing if the evacuation order came. There is no way 1/3 of all parents would willingly evacuate a city without knowing where their children were and if they were safe, absolutely none.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
I don't have kids myself, but if I did, the first thing I would do would be to go get them and make sure they're all right. I'll bet you that those 37% of parents who said they would follow "proper procedure" would do exactly the same thing if the evacuation order came. There is no way 1/3 of all parents would willingly evacuate a city without knowing where their children were and if they were safe, absolutely none.

Really, not even this guy?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: jonks
OP FAIL.

You know, it's great to see P&N rally together for once!

Should rename the thread:

"1/3 of Parents 'meh' on Childrens' Survival"
LOLed at this.
I also heard the government warning people to get out of LA before Katrina hit. One of the fundamental roles of government comes into being during emergencies. Idiots that want to be heros or follow their instincts and try to be with their kids when the best thing to do is follow emergency will be the bumps in the road when the military is given a shoot-to-kill order.
Swell job gov did with Katrina, too, gives me plenty of confidence.
There is no way 1/3 of all parents would willingly evacuate a city without knowing where their children were and if they were safe, absolutely none.
If that is how they felt the question was posed, I agree, that number is meaningless. I would certainly never evacuate a city without my kids. I may stay put if they were close, but evacuate on separate busses and find them later? Lawls, get real.

Feb 6, 2007
Originally posted by: jonks
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy

Really, not even this guy?

I can't watch youtube at work, so I'm just going to assume you posted a video of Sarah Palin, since that's all people seem to be able to do nowadays, and call you sexist for referring to her as a "guy".

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Xavier434

This story states that the 45% of the parents didn't even know what the procedures were. Not relying on the unknown when it comes to disasters and protecting your kids is a wise thing to do.

The schools need to find a way to better inform the parents and fill them with more confidence if they wish for this problem to be reduced. Simply saying, "Please don't do this for XXX reason" is not working and I don't expect it to ever work.

It's amazing how the federal government has extensive instructions when an emergency strikes: link

How the state has extensive instructions when an emergency strikes: link

And how the City has extensive instructions when an emergency strikes:link

Yet nobody uses them. Then when disaster strikes they run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The government provides extensive warnings, whether it's hurricanes, health, healthcare, or political violence, but people never bother to look and always blame the government when something goes wrong. I'm not saying they're perfect. I'm just saying you're not alone and others will have the same mentality. The best thing is to ALWAYS be prepared. If you really care for your kids, prepare them for the day when you may not always be around. Create an emergency kit. Tell them what to do. Give them names and numbers to reach in case disaster strikes. If you can, get them. But do not do ONLY one thing.

Considering the fact that children are entirely dependent on their parents, the parent's are at fault if they have not prepared their children for disaster.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000

It's amazing how the federal government has extensive instructions when an emergency strikes: link

Yet nobody uses them. Then when disaster strikes they run around like chickens with their heads cut off. The government provides extensive warnings, whether it's hurricanes, health, healthcare, or political violence, but people never bother to look and always blame the government when something goes wrong. I'm not saying they're perfect. I'm just saying you're not alone and others will have the same mentality. The best thing is to ALWAYS be prepared. If you really care for your kids, prepare them for the day when you may not always be around. Create an emergency kit. Tell them what to do. Give them names and numbers to reach in case disaster strikes. If you can, get them. But do not do ONLY one thing.

Considering the fact that children are entirely dependent on their parents, the parent's are at fault if they have not prepared their children for disaster.
When the Great Lights come and shed the earth for a moment in resplendent beauty, it will be mere weeks before the cannibalistic hordes come to relieve the earth of its last despicable life forms. However, I am prepared. My garage already has an SUV with beefed suspension and almost 1200 lbs of armor on it, not to mention my kids go nowhere without a deringer and the shoot first ask questions later mentality. So, when the lights come, yes I'll be getting them from school.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004

How can you trust the government so much after seeing how they handled Katrina and the WoT?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Originally posted by: ElMonoDelMar

How can you trust the government so much after seeing how they handled Katrina and the WoT?

Wait, when was the last time US had a terrorist attack?

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

Because the government warned people before. The local gov. did a terrible job but many people here forget that a LOT of people left LA and NO because of government warnings.

ElMonoDelMar

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2004
Because the government warned people before. The local gov. did a terrible job but many people here forget that a LOT of people left LA and NO because of government warnings.

And that's the type of government you want to entrust the safety of your children with? Don't forget that people were left to die in hospitals and nursing homes.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006

And that's the type of government you want to entrust the safety of your children with? Don't forget that people were left to die in hospitals and nursing homes.

He simply doesn't know how .gov really works when things really go to hell over a large area.

I have actually witnessed it first hand not once but twice. He is naive about how smoothly those "emergency plans" actually work. After seeing the almighty .gov handle the Superdoom and the recent evacuation shelters..... I will indeed risk life and limb to ensure my kids safety is provided by myself and NOT .gov.

No bullshit, here is a damn good tip for everyone. Do not depend on the government if things are going south fast. Have enough food and water on hand for 7 days and always have multiple evac plans. I can promise you, the very last thing you want to do is depend on .gov in these situations.