KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Free Weekend for multiplayer portion of CoD MW3

Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 $40.19 33% off

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
Thoughts about buying this? I'll only play the single player portion. (Enjoyed the other two.)

Is this worth it at 33% off? These games never go down in price.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Thoughts about buying this? I'll only play the single player portion. (Enjoyed the other two.)

For singleplayer only? Not worth it at all. It's basically just a ~4 hour long movie where you get to walk around and watch stuff happen around you, and listen to people yell orders at you. You still can't open doors by yourself or traverse anything more interesting than linear hallways. If you enjoy that sort of thing, buy it, but you can do much better for $40.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
For singleplayer only? Not worth it at all. It's basically just a ~4 hour long movie where you get to walk around and watch stuff happen around you, and listen to people yell orders at you. If you enjoy that sort of thing, buy it, but you can do much better for $40.

That's what I thought lol... Thanks.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Preloaded it last night for a LAN party this Saturday but I have no plans to buy it at the end of the weekend. Not even sure we'll have time to play it at the party.

Aug 11, 2008

Is this worth it at 33% off? These games never go down in price.

I would only play single player too, but I am still tempted. I know many criticize single player, but I would like to play the story line out. Not really interested in multiplayer because I dont have the reflexes for it anymore, and anyway I mainly play for the story, not to just run around shooting people ( although that is fine if that is what you enjoy).

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I would only play single player too, but I am still tempted. I know many criticize single player, but I would like to play the story line out. Not really interested in multiplayer because I dont have the reflexes for it anymore, and anyway I mainly play for the story, not to just run around shooting people ( although that is fine if that is what you enjoy).

Watch the cutscenes on YouTube or something, I'm sure you can find them. I wouldn't pay $10/hr for a single player game.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Really want to get this for SP, but it's suppose to be 6-7 hours. Think I waited 2 years for MW2 to drop to $20 or $30 beofre I got it. Cheap bastard...

Edit: Eff it, just got it... This thing needs 14 Gb of space (SP only)? Damn. Looks like MW2 needed 11 Gb.

Internet cap is going to rape me this month.

Last edited:

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
ATTENTION, ANYONE DOWNLOADING THIS GAME FOR THE SINGLE PLAYER.

THE FREE WEEKEND IS MULTIPLAYER ONLY. REPEAT, YOU CANNOT PLAY THE SINGLE PLAYER FOR FREE THIS WEEKEND.

Just thought I'd warn people before they rape their bandwidth.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
ATTENTION, ANYONE DOWNLOADING THIS GAME FOR THE SINGLE PLAYER.

THE FREE WEEKEND IS MULTIPLAYER ONLY. REPEAT, YOU CANNOT PLAY THE SINGLE PLAYER FOR FREE THIS WEEKEND.

Just thought I'd warn people before they rape their bandwidth.

I gave the warning in the very first sentence in the thread :)

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
I downloaded the free MP game yesterday. Played it for about 10 minutes and could not stand the horrible visuals (everything on max- 7950 GPU here). I guess it's hard to go to a 4 year old graphics engine after playing BF3. And no, I'm not trying to troll here.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
33% off not worth it for the SP only. Would MAYBE be worth it at 50% off, but it would be close.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Tried MW 3 for about 15 min. Wow, this game is just bad. I felt half-sick because of really retarded head-boobing "feature" and the graphics suck too. besides that it always took forever till a game started and there was always short phases of extreme lag which never happen in BC 2.
Not to mention the look of the scoring text. looks like from the 90ties.

Beside that while it is more realistic in terms of damage one can take (very little) it's stupid. Never played this game before but no trouble at all killing rank 60+ players. 95% of kills you just shoot the guy in the back and he has 0 chance.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I downloaded the free MP game yesterday. Played it for about 10 minutes and could not stand the horrible visuals (everything on max- 7950 GPU here). I guess it's hard to go to a 4 year old graphics engine after playing BF3. And no, I'm not trying to troll here.

The engine used came out in 2005 so it's definitely a lot older.

GoStumpy

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2011
It DOES work on older hardware, that's a plus! Perhaps not for AT'ers, though...

Plays nice and smooth on my Celeron G530, GT220 GPU!

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Wow, almost finished the SP in one night. Steam says I put in 4 hours, and I'm on the last level.

Oh well, MW2 was only 5 hours. MW3 SP is better paced, and there are less "I never want to do it again" levels, so I should be replaying at some point.

Aug 11, 2008
Wow, almost finished the SP in one night. Steam says I put in 4 hours, and I'm on the last level.

Oh well, MW2 was only 5 hours. MW3 SP is better paced, and there are less "I never want to do it again" levels, so I should be replaying at some point.

I must really suck. I am only about half way through single player and have about six hours into the game. I dont think it is as bad as some of the haters say. I am enjoying it.
It is on rails and definitely nothing innovative, but it is what I expected. I am definitely liking it better than MW2. I would have preferred to wait for an even cheaper price, but that may not happen for quite a while.

As far as the graphics, it does not bother me because I have a relatively low end system and the game runs really nice at high settings. I actually think I was more annoyed at the graphics in the Mass Effect 3 demo than this game, although granted it was only a demo.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
I gave the warning in the very first sentence in the thread :)

I was just warning Imp in case he didn't see the first post.

Anyway, I had a fun weekend but I don't think I'll be getting this. It's the same as previous MW games but costs more (in exchange for more populated servers I guess). Falls into the typical COD formula of fast paced multiplayer that has at least one thing that is ridiculously overpowered (in this case, dual wield machine pistols).

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
The MP maps are EXTREMELY small. You can't "control" an area like you could in previous CoD games. I loved MW2 multiplayer but MW3 feels too constricted, too confined...

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I was just warning Imp in case he didn't see the first post.

Anyway, I had a fun weekend but I don't think I'll be getting this. It's the same as previous MW games but costs more (in exchange for more populated servers I guess). Falls into the typical COD formula of fast paced multiplayer that has at least one thing that is ridiculously overpowered (in this case, dual wield machine pistols).

Oh, I paid for the damn thing. Tried MP a bit, it was fun in a stupid simplisitic way. Still prefer the variety of a Battlefield base-type game though.