2/02/12 Steam Weekend Deal: Warhammer 40k games 66% off, Free Weekend for Retribution

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Warhammer 40k Space Marine $16.99 66% off
Warhammer 40k Space Marine DLC $0.33-$3.39 each 66% off (the 3 new pieces of DLC are not on sale)

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Complete Pack $20.39 66% off includes below
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Retribution $10.19 66% off
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Retribution DLC $0.33-$3.39 each 66% off (not included in the pack)
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Gold $10.19 66% off includes below
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 $6.79 66 % off
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 2 Chaos Rising $6.79 66% off

Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Soulstorm $6.79 66% off
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Platinum Edition $10.19 66% off includes below
Warhammer 40k Dark Crusade $6.79 66% off
Warhammer 40k Dawn of War Gold Edition $6.79 66% off

WH40K_Ethel.jpg

Last edited:

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Even at $10.66 I'd probably avoid Retribution. Still frustrated I paid £25 for the CE after DoW1 and DoW2 were all day 1 purchases for me.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
whats wrong with retribution? That's the one that adds the imperial guard right? I played the "open beta" for a little bit and it seemed alright. Nerf ogrens and baneblades and whatnot.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I had no problems with Retribution myself and enjoyed it and I got it when it first came out.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
The singleplayer bastardises everything that they built up in DoW2 and CR. Using the same 7 maps for every single campaign, using 95% of the same story and mission objectives.

Oh the new race, bringing in the IG, was fine. The removal of GFWL was amazing. Multiplayer or TLS never suffered except in the very early days.

But my God, my main reason to buy the game was blown up in my face by the time I'd finished the short Blood Raven's campaign and moved onto the next campaign, only to find it was so close to being the same that it might as well have been.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
Hey Kaotik, anything recommended for a Warhammer noob?

Yeah I'm looking for advice too. I have never played any of the Warhammer games, and just picked up Space Marine from GMG. Which Wahammer strategy game would you recommend for a warhammer (and RTS in general) n00b like me?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I'd suggest DOW2 for both of you if you like squad based RTS. You don't really build bases or anything in it, but its hella fun.

DOW 1 if you guys like traditional RTS, build a base, gather resources, etc.

The campaign for DOW2 is worth the price alone even if you never ever play multiplayer.

They have a pretty fun multiplayer mode called last stand, where you control 1 hero and 3 other players control a single hero and you fight off waves of enemies ala tower defense.

dpodblood

Diamond Member
May 20, 2010
I have no idea what I like :p. The only strategy games I have played are Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander at a couple of LAN parties.

PowerYoga

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2001
The original Warhammer 40k dawn of war is a good start. There's the familiar base building and large groups of units, and the tutorial introduces units at a nice pace. It's well developed and has a lot of warhammer lore too! Finished expansion packs has all your favorite races already in there. (no nids though!!!)

Dawn of war II single player is a "hero" oriented gameplay that focuses more on an rpg-style gameplay with gear and level ups and talents and is not representative of the game's RTS aspect. But it has nids.... so.

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
I have no idea what I like :p. The only strategy games I have played are Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander at a couple of LAN parties.

You can do it either way, DOW1 is more like supcom or Total Ann.

DOW2 is different, still traditional RTS stuff in it, but you only control a squad, or three at most IIRC. They level up and get new upgraded guns and swords like an RPG.

It was really good and I liked it a lot. Retribution was shit IMO though.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Hey Kaotik, anything recommended for a Warhammer noob?

Depends on your taste, I own and enjoy them all.

Space Marine is an excellent action game that will have you smiling the entire time while you play it.

Dawn of War 1 series is great if you like more traditional RTS games. If you go this route either get the Dawn of War Gold edition, it has the original DoW and the first expansion Winter Assault.

Dawn of War 2 is more like Company of Heroes, if you like that than Dawn of War 2 Gold edition would probably be a good buy.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Dawn of War Gold Edition seems to be a pretty old game. Does it run well? any glitches? modern resolutions supported?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Space Marine is an excellent action game that will have you smiling the entire time while you play it.

Yeah, I ended up picking it up (from GMG) after watching a YouTube video on it. Although, I don't know if any of the DLCs are worthwhile. It only looks like one of them is a mini-expansion (the $10 one, which is not on sale).

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
these games keep going on sale and i keep debating whether or not to buy ._.

think maybe i'll finally bite on space marine... or not lol

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
I just got the same for free on Steam. It does say I have 12 hrs to play it or something. I didn't notice it in my games'list but it's probably been available for a few days I think. What's that all about?

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I just got the same for free on Steam. It does say I have 12 hrs to play it or something. I didn't notice it in my games'list but it's probably been available for a few days I think. What's that all about?

You didn't get the game for free. You got a free weekend (like every other Steam user). It says "12 hours remaining", as in, you have 12 more hours to play it for free until leaves your library ...unless you decide to buy it, in which case it will stay.

Free weekends exist to promote games and encourage users to try them out before buying.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002

Topic Title: "Free Weekend for Retribution"

The game is free to play for the weekend and then it will become unavailable to you afterwards unless you purchase it.

dust

Golden Member
Oct 13, 2008
Topic Title: "Free Weekend for Retribution"

The game is free to play for the weekend and then it will become unavailable to you afterwards unless you purchase it.

Fail on my part:p

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
For those who HAVENT played it, Dawn of War 1 had minimal base-building and automated resourcing, so dont think of it as Starcraft with another tileset.

Barfo

Lifer
Jan 4, 2005
Valve must be nuts, I got DoW Gold Edition for Free too. I just had to pay $6.79.