2,000 Dead, Better Pull Out Now! But then again...

johnnobts

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2005
To all the wacko liberals who want to use 2,000 as some sort of arbitrary number to justify an immediate American withdrawl from Iraq, consider the following bit of history: During the American War for Independence (which lasted longer than the present war in Iraq) did you know that a total of 2,113 FRENCH soldiers died fighting on our side? What if France has said, "Well, 2,000 is our quota, sorry Americans, good luck in your fight for freedom..." Luckily, the French stayed the course. Its so sad that the biggest piece of news this week isn't about the ratification of the Iraqi constitution, but the big 2-0-0-0.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002
Please specificy which "wacko liberals" are using the number of U.S Deaths as a reason to withdrawl from the current Iraq conflict.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Most agree, I believe, that we should finish the job. There is no sense in leaving a country in shambles when the potential is there, allotting the correct amount of "hard work." Some would argue the France had much to gain by their cooperation with the Americans in the war for American Independence (i.e. land, gold, superiority over Britain). What do we get? We recieve ideological democratic support in the Middle East and oil. People choose what they believe to be most important; or at least, what can further the agenda.

It is also, I think hypocritical to use the number 2000 arbitrarily to further the support for the goals of the coalition (and namely America).

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: johnnobts
To all the wacko liberals who want to use 2,000 as some sort of arbitrary number to justify an immediate American withdrawl from Iraq, consider the following bit of history: During the American War for Independence (which lasted longer than the present war in Iraq) did you know that a total of 2,113 FRENCH soldiers died fighting on our side? What if France has said, "Well, 2,000 is our quota, sorry Americans, good luck in your fight for freedom..." Luckily, the French stayed the course. Its so sad that the biggest piece of news this week isn't about the ratification of the Iraqi constitution, but the big 2-0-0-0.

:thumbsup:

The Iraqi Constitution has received little attention, and certainly not the attention it deserves.

JinLien

Golden Member
Aug 24, 2005
Another 56,000 needless death of good American + millions more of Iraqi civilians before the Administration pull the troops out. See Vietnam War for reference.

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: JinLien

Another 45,000 needless death of good American + millions more of Iraqi civilians before the Administration pull the troops out. See Vietnam War for reference.

But its to defend freedom from Saddam and Osama....they still have secret bases hidden in Iraq planning attacks on America.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004

Another 45,000 needless death of good American + millions more of Iraqi civilians before the Administration pull the troops out. See Vietnam War for reference.

Unfortunately, there are currently terrorists in Iraq who want to kill us. Do you want them to kill us? I believe we should fight them.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: mOeeOm

But its to defend freedom from Saddam and Osama....they still have secret bases hidden in Iraq planning attacks on America.

That doesn't quite follow. Even assuming Osama and Saddam have secret bases planning attacks on America, our current approach may not be the best way to "defend freedom". It's like refusing to replace my old, crappy, falling apart car because "it gets me to work". And so it does, but a new car could do so in a cheaper, faster, and more reliable fashion.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004

Please elaborate.

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: yankeesfan

Unfortunately, there are currently terrorists in Iraq who want to kill us. Do you want them to kill us? I believe we should fight them.

:eek: You wrote Bush's speaches didn't you?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

What is the interest in blindingly simplistic points of view like this? This isn't a movie, and we're try to, you know, prevent another 9/11. Tough talk is not as effective as you people seem to think.

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Originally posted by: johnnobts

Those big wars really mattered, this little country club war that will turn Iraq into another Iran or a country filled with people bitter against the United States. You can't kill 117,000 people and torture people and think they will love America.

The effect of this war will be felt for decades.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Rainsford

What is the interest in blindingly simplistic points of view like this? This isn't a movie, and we're try to, you know, prevent another 9/11. Tough talk is not as effective as you people seem to think.

It's not quite tough talk. I do consider it to be simplistic, as you say. However, in principle, I do believe what I said. Prevent another 9/11, you say? Is there a fallancy in the methodology of taking the fight to the enemy?

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004

It's not quite tough talk. I do consider it to be simplistic, as you say. However, in principle, I do believe what I said. Prevent another 9/11, you say? Is there a fallancy in the methodology of taking the fight to the enemy?

lol, I love it :D

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004

lol, I love it :D

edit: I believe that it is quite obvious that ignoring the threat does not work, as evidenced by the Clinton (U.S.S. Cole) and early Bush Redux administration.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Tab
Please specificy which "wacko liberals" are using the number of U.S Deaths as a reason to withdrawl from the current Iraq conflict.

Seriously. I never wanted the war in the first place and have wanted a pull out since our first soldier arrived. 2000 is just another tragic number in Dick and Dubya's excellent adventure.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
2,000 is not an arbitrary number. It is the actual literal number of American boys & girls who are dead because of Bushchenneyrummyrice's lies. If those in charge don't like people mentioning 2,000 dead Americans, they're really aren't going to like it when they are forced to hear '3,000 dead Americans' and the '4,000 dead Americans, but that is what they are going to hear. Madness.

EatSpam

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005

Then secure the the borders. Killing Muslim civilians only adds to the terrrarrist's cause.

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: tommywishbone
2,000 is not an arbitrary number. It is the actual literal number of American boys & girls who are dead because of Bushchenneyrummyrice's lies. If those in charge don't like people mentioning 2,000 dead Americans, they're really aren't going to like it when they are forced to hear '3,000 dead Americans' and the '4,000 dead Americans, but that is what they are going to hear. Madness.

Freedom isn't free, it costs people like you and me. :)

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: EatSpam

Then secure the the borders. Killing Muslim civilians only adds to the terrrarrist's cause.

Killing civilians on 9/11 only added to the American cause.

Is there a viable plan to secure the borders? In all seriousness, do you have a link? I'd like to familiarize myself with the subject. Who runs on this platform?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As usual, those opposing the war will mark this milestone in completely the wrong way. A progressive worthy of the name would have wistfully mourned the loss of so many men with the regret that if we had done the morally right thing 25 or 30 years ago like we should have, there would have been both less Americans killed and an entire generation of Iraqis wouldn't have suffered a complete loss of thier human rights under a genocidal dictator.

Instead, the left of today will mourn with crocodile tears the dead, and despair of the cost to the Treasury. Like the accountant who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing, the left in this country is completely oblivious to the value of the principle of standing up for human rights and are instead dwelling on the costs and dreaming of what social programs they'd have funded with it instead. Faced with the choice between supporting their ideals and their baser desires, they betrayed their ideals and would have left yet another generation of "brown skinned people" (which IMHO they secretly hold in complete disregard, if not contempt - notice their unveiled assertions that Arabs aren't mentally or culturally disposed to democracy) to the whims of a genocidal madman.

mOeeOm

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: EatSpam

Killing civilians on 9/11 only added to the American cause.

Is there a viable plan to secure the borders? In all seriousness, do you have a link? I'd like to familiarize myself with the subject. Who runs on this platform?

Oh, I think Muslim civilians were being killed on mass long before 9/11, but hey the terrorists are crazy, they couldn't have possibly done 9/11 because of innocent civilians being killed, nope.