$2.00 Student Discount at AMC theaters. Regional?

ironk

Jun 18, 2001
Went to see X2 on opening day and called AMC theaters in Burlington, MA. The recording on the phone mentioned that students with ID's get a $2.00 discount. I was a little skeptical, so i went in to the theaters and asked them about the discount. They asked for a ID and i showed it to them, and got the ticket for $6.50. It was three of us (all with student id's) and we all got discounts. Ended up saving $6.00 total, which is not bad. This might be regional, so call to see if its available in your area. Also, they don't even look at the ID's in detail, you just put them on the counter and you get the discount. Don't think they have time to look at them.

Found this thread too:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=amc+theaters+student+discount&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=%25EuK8.939%24kf.32453%40news.itd.umich.edu&rnum=1

So, it looks like Loews does it too, although i haven't called them. Let me know if you guys find out any other theaters doing it. Its just that i never knew about this and have always paid full price. Dunno if its valid during 'sneak previews' but i did get it on the opening day of X2 on a Friday night.

gwlam12

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2001
i thought amc always had a discount. been there for at least the last 7 years, i thought.

Krutoy

Apr 21, 2003
To my knowledge AMC always had student discount, here in the Bay Area and also in Southern Cali. Tickets are still like $8 even with the student discount.

Braxus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, the student discounting has been around in many theaters for years. Still expensive even with a student disc. IMO. :disgust:

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
yep, been $6.50 for a while now, they hiked the prices a couple of times in the last year or two it seems...it was always $5.00 during high school (for students).

OrganizedChaos

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ironk
Went to see X2 on opening day and called AMC theaters in Burlington, MA. The recording on the phone mentioned that students with ID's get a $2.00 discount. I was a little skeptical, so i went in to the theaters and asked them about the discount. They asked for a ID and i showed it to them, and got the ticket for $6.50. It was three of us (all with student id's) and we all got discounts. Ended up saving $6.00 total, which is not bad. This might be regional, so call to see if its available in your area. Also, they don't even look at the ID's in detail, you just put them on the counter and you get the discount. Don't think they have time to look at them.

Found this thread too:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=amc+theaters+student+discount&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=%25EuK8.939%24kf.32453%40news.itd.umich.edu&rnum=1

So, it looks like Loews does it too, although i haven't called them. Let me know if you guys find out any other theaters doing it. Its just that i never knew about this and have always paid full price. Dunno if its valid during 'sneak previews' but i did get it on the opening day of X2 on a Friday night.

where do you live. your the only AT member i've seen that lives anywhere near me

AAman

Golden Member
May 29, 2001
the student card is useful to buy online- no service charge!
(although you pay full price online, so maybe not too great)

stressgirl615

Sep 13, 2001
If you really want a deal, join AMC's Moviewatchers club. It is free and you get things for free when seeing movies. Every movie you earn 2 pts. Every 10 points you earn, you receive something free such as a free small popcorn or a free movie ticket. Every 100 pts you earn gets you a deluxe ticket that gives you a free movie, free popcorn and free drink. Also, if you use the card on Wednesdays, you always get a free small popcorn.

I'm at about 254 pts!!!

Ness

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2002
You know, you'd be surprised at what kinds of places offer student discounts. Everytime I go to ANY store, I pull out my college ID and ask if they give student discounts. Obviously, the discounts are most prominent in college towns.

Best places to ask:
-Restuarants and Bars are the best about discounts
-Movie theaters and rental stores
-Certain mall stores
-Book stores
-Office supply stores (The staples near me used to give a 10% discount :) .. used to. )
-Mailing and shipping stores
-Small "mom and pop" stores will usually cut you deals if you ask about a discount. Just for encouragement ;)
-Electronics components stores (for EE projects)

Like I said, if you go anywhere, just whip out your ID and ask if they give any sort of student discount. The worst people can say is no. Afterall, people give Senior Citizens discounts just for being old. Why shouldn't they give people discounts for doing something as life changing as going to college?

Edit: Usually Military IDs work the same, usually better (again, in military towns especially.)

bonk102

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
our local cinemark theater has all movies at $4.50 with student id, and all shows before 6pm are only $4.50 anyway, gotta love it

wfay

Jul 24, 2001
I still have my college id and use it every time I see a possible "college/student discount" just about any where I go. There is no date anywhere on the ID and I graduated less than 5 years ago so the picture is still recent enough to work with no issues.

I will continue using this ID until they stop taking it!!

scorched03

Jul 1, 2001
that sucks. austin, tx doesn't have really student ticket discounts..... since the town is mostly college students. hehe

citi

Dec 12, 2002
sorry about the previous blank.
what i wanted to say was..

i've been using those "movie certificate" things for well over a year now,
the ones that sell for $5 to $6, redeemable for one movie ticket.

although there is a 10-day release restriction (as in, you can only see a movie AFTER it's been out for 10 days) but still a great deal if you're patient enough, considering metro area tickets are $10 plus nowadays.

AMC theatres ave them, and Lowes/Odeon also has them.
I've been getting them from my apartments management, but i've seen them online and through mastercard's members letters.

Marauder-

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: bonk102
our local cinemark theater has all movies at $4.50 with student id, and all shows before 6pm are only $4.50 anyway, gotta love it

Man - what the heck - Man the Bay Area's $4.50 days have long past ... It was probably at least 5 years ago when it was at that price.

HarryK

Jul 27, 2001
Originally posted by: scorched03
that sucks. austin, tx doesn't have really student ticket discounts..... since the town is mostly college students. hehe

But you've got Cinemark whose prices in Austin are better than you'll ever see in a place like NYC

Bargain before 6pm $4.75
First Matinee Showtime Mon thru Fri $3.75

How many other people can go see a first run movie for $3.75?