1st person shooters...motion sickness...any cures?

montego

Dec 5, 2001
Got a friend who played MOHAA, Half Life & others without any problems.

But when trying to play System Shock2 or Deus Ex he gets motion sickness.

Any known cures for the problem short of prescription drugs?

I know that turning off weapon sway & head bobbing help, but I dont believe SS2 or deus Ex have these features.

Any help?

neuralfx

Golden Member
Feb 19, 2001
dramazine works wonders, its no perscription .. Maybe he's getting eyestrain, how is your monitor? just force him to play for a few hours and he will get over it =) naw I would look at the monitor and the dramazine ..
-neural

MedicBob

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2001
Try setting the refresh rate to 85 Hz or above and then see how it is. Also, ergonomics are very important, sit right with the monitor just below eye level, wrists level and comfortable. Other then that have him do a Google search on ergonmonics and follow the advice.

Also, any differnant key combo's in those 2 games that aren't used frequently in the others?

Bob

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
If it's classic motion sickness the herb ginger may also be effective. And I second the need for a quality monitor at a high refresh rate.

I also suggest that your friend should take very fre quent breaks away from the game.

Any doubts about the effectiveness of ginger just do a 'net "search" using keywords Ginger+motion+sickness. You'll find lots of evidence including university studies.

JSang

Feb 3, 2002
have a lot of friends with this problem...taking a break every five minutes was their only cure...
medication for it just seemed too extreme...gl

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Try Ginger Ale or, better yet, some Ginger Beer(like root beer aka- non-alcoholic). I get motion sickness sometimes when watching someone else play fps's.

RudeBoie

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2000
Adding to what everyone has said, I have more touble with slower games like Thief. Low framerates can cause problems but this likely isn't the case if he's playing System Shock on the same system as MOHAA.

If I'm getting motion sickness, it's also a sign I'm getting sick.