1st person shooters...motion sickness...any cures?

Discussion in 'Software for Windows' started by montego, Apr 28, 2002.

1. montego

montego Member

Got a friend who played MOHAA, Half Life & others without any problems.

But when trying to play System Shock2 or Deus Ex he gets motion sickness.

Any known cures for the problem short of prescription drugs?

I know that turning off weapon sway & head bobbing help, but I dont believe SS2 or deus Ex have these features.

Any help?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - person shooters motion Forum Date
    Besides first person shooters, what other game category is good on the CPU Software for Windows Mar 28, 2007
    Good First person shooters in the last 3-4 years? Software for Windows Mar 28, 2007
    Looking for a flash first person shooter game Software for Windows Feb 16, 2007
    Quest for the best first person shooter Software for Windows Jun 19, 2006
    Open Source First Person Shooters Software for Windows Jun 19, 2006

3. neuralfx

neuralfx Golden Member

dramazine works wonders, its no perscription .. Maybe he's getting eyestrain, how is your monitor? just force him to play for a few hours and he will get over it =) naw I would look at the monitor and the dramazine ..
    -neural

4. MedicBob

MedicBob Diamond Member

Try setting the refresh rate to 85 Hz or above and then see how it is. Also, ergonomics are very important, sit right with the monitor just below eye level, wrists level and comfortable. Other then that have him do a Google search on ergonmonics and follow the advice.

Also, any differnant key combo's in those 2 games that aren't used frequently in the others?

Bob

5. apoppin

apoppin Lifer

If it's classic motion sickness the herb ginger may also be effective. And I second the need for a quality monitor at a high refresh rate.

I also suggest that your friend should take very fre quent breaks away from the game.

Any doubts about the effectiveness of ginger just do a 'net "search" using keywords Ginger+motion+sickness. You'll find lots of evidence including university studies.

6. JSang

JSang Senior member

have a lot of friends with this problem...taking a break every five minutes was their only cure...
    medication for it just seemed too extreme...gl

7. sandorski

sandorski No Lifer

Try Ginger Ale or, better yet, some Ginger Beer(like root beer aka- non-alcoholic). I get motion sickness sometimes when watching someone else play fps's.

8. RudeBoie

RudeBoie Platinum Member

Adding to what everyone has said, I have more touble with slower games like Thief. Low framerates can cause problems but this likely isn't the case if he's playing System Shock on the same system as MOHAA.

If I'm getting motion sickness, it's also a sign I'm getting sick.

9. EHobaX

EHobaX Member

The bob. Turn off the bob, dude. That stuff will mess you up.