Question 1996 kenwwood floor speakers help

Pathbechosen

Dec 16, 2021
I was given for Christmas of 97 a kenwood sound system by my folks. I still use the speakers to this day because I like the style of the floor wide towers. The speakers are JL-507 3 way 3 speaker system. Though I love the sound I'm thinking of replacing the speakers and keep the box, please can someone give me some good suggestions on Dynamic replacements. It has 3" Tweeters, 4 1/2" Mid-Ranges and 12" Woofers I'll attach the model image and speaker setup. Where can I find modern dynamic replacements and what brands would you recommend? Any help with this is appreciated as all i can find is in-car woofers.

Attachments

• 20211213_095346.jpg
    20211213_095346.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20211216_001258.jpg
    20211216_001258.jpg
    394.3 KB · Views: 20

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
I'll second avsforum. The DIY section can point you in the right direction.

For the tweeter and midrange driver you can probably swap in something the same size without much issue. The cabinet and bass driver have presumably been matched - the performance is dependent on the cabinet having an appropriate volume for the driver specs. You could swap in any sub driver of the same diameter, but no guarantee of performance unless the driver specs are similar.

Speakers have come a long ways since those were new. Unless you're just really interested in the project you would probably be better off putting the money towards new speakers. Most of the really big drivers in decades past don't perform nearly as well as you would expect just based on size, so don't get hung up on the fact that newer speakers are smaller.

Dranoche

Jul 6, 2009
Addendum: Should probably clarify that smaller does not mean small. Floor-standers or even larger bookshelf speakers with 6 to 8-inch drivers should deliver just as much punch and bass extension as those Kenwoods, if not more. Well-designed speakers with 5-inch drivers can still dig down below 50Hz. Personally, I would avoid smaller than 5-inch drivers for mains. Smaller drivers would be fine for surrounds or a secondary speaker set.

Pathbechosen

Dec 16, 2021
Addendum: Should probably clarify that smaller does not mean small. Floor-standers or even larger bookshelf speakers with 6 to 8-inch drivers should deliver just as much punch and bass extension as those Kenwoods, if not more. Well-designed speakers with 5-inch drivers can still dig down below 50Hz. Personally, I would avoid smaller than 5-inch drivers for mains. Smaller drivers would be fine for surrounds or a secondary speaker set.
Any Recommendation for floor speakers? I'm currently in the mid range price point when shopping.

Reactions: Daisy_Smith-1234