1971 Photo of Kerry Fake

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
2-15-2004 1971 Photo of Kerry Fake

As a 20-year-old photographer documenting the country's struggle over the Vietnam War, Ken Light snapped the picture of John Kerry at a peace rally in Mineola. It captured the future senator alone at a podium, squinting into the sun.

Light did not photograph Jane Fonda on that warm June Sunday in 1971. The actress, who is reviled by many Vietnam veterans for her vocal stance against the war, did not even attend.

But when opponents of the Democratic presidential hopeful began e-mailing Light's picture to one another four days ago, it depicted Fonda standing by Kerry's side. The photo had been doctored.

"I'm horrified," said Light, 52, who grew up in East Meadow and now heads the graduate photojournalism program at the University of California at Berkeley. "I think this kind of alteration is probably one of the scariest forms of trickery, particularly when it's done against a political candidate."

Dag Vega, a spokesman for Kerry's campaign, said, "The smear tactics have started already."

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
Why would someone go to the effort of doctoring a stupid photo like that?

A scared to death Karl Rove would want one and pay for it, thats why. The adminstration sure as hell didn't stop it, did they?

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Tripleshot

A scared to death Karl Rove would want one and pay for it, thats why. The adminstration sure as hell didn't stop it, did they?

Did that photo come from the presidents campaign?

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
"Why would someone go to the effort of doctoring a stupid photo like that?" Hey, you like to joke with the readers, hey. Hard to believe that you could ask a question like that. I don't particularly think it came from Rove & company, but there are lots of people who'd do it at the drop of a hat. Think of the stupid junk that comes to you over the internet that must have taken someone hours to do.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
With $200 million at his disposal, Karl Rove could create something far more legitimate than that photo.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
Plus, I'm sure there's enough dirt in anyone's life so that they won't have to manufacture it.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002

Please check your blood alcohol level before you get into a car tonight .. geesh...

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: burnedout
With $200 million at his disposal, Karl Rove could create something far more legitimate than that photo.

Why should he waste money? That was cheap ... about as cheap as slandering War Heroes??

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
money makes sure you can't be connected to dirt:p once its out there, its like a fart, it lingers.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
Originally posted by: Tripleshot

yeh, Im sure some guy runs up to the pres and says . "I got a great idea, lets chop one pic of Kerry to make it look like hes near fonda, the first one wasnt good enough". Then he'd say " I think I have a pic of Hitler around, lets chop it and make it look like they are kissing"

Then they would cackle evilly (is that a word ? :) ) and wring thier hands and say "excellent"
:D

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: burnedout
Why should he waste money? That was cheap ... about as cheap as slandering War Heroes??
Who can prove that Rove even produced the photo? Elvis, maybe?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
The Republicans are scared, and they should be. Kerry is no Gore, that's for sure. He's the real deal and he's got a damn good shot at becoming our next president.

teiresias

Oct 16, 1999
Simply happening to be in attendance at the same rally as Fonda (since they're obviously such close buddies that he's sitting a good distance away from her) is a wholely different matter than trying to make people think he shared the podium with her at some point.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
The Republicans are scared, and they should be. Kerry is no Gore, that's for sure. He's the real deal and he's got a damn good shot at becoming our next president.
Scared of Kerry? Not likely....

The only Democrat in the field that even made me slightly nervous is Edwards and once again the Dems are cutting off their nose to spite their face by not getting behind him. Of all the Dems he is really the only one I think would appeal to the great mass of voters in the middle.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke

The only Democrat in the field that even made me slightly nervous is Edwards and once again the Dems are cutting off their nose to spite their face by not getting behind him. Of all the Dems he is really the only one I think would appeal to the great mass of voters in the middle.

I'm scared by the number of people that are voting for him in a landslide. Are people that stupid. The only way to assure us of 4 more years of Bush is by letting Dean, Kerry or Clark win the nomination. The only knock on Edwards is his inexperience, which in this election will only be a blessing, he has nowhere near as many accumulated skeletons as everyone else. Plus he has that young JFKish face.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Originally posted by: shinerburke

Don't worry. He will make a fine VP and still be on the ticket.
;)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I was once in a Sandwhich Shop where Huey Newton was eating lunch and Tom Hayden was a commencment speaker at my College graduation. I guess I'm now going to be affiliated with the Black Panthers and the Chicago 7 not to mention Jane Fonda (who went with Tom Hayden to Hanoi)LOL:D