1970 Americans VS 2013 Americans.

Hugo Drax

Diamond Member
Nov 20, 2011
1970. Americans did not whine and cry about the cover of Rolling Stones.

22516_lg.jpg

2013. Americans go in an Uproar, cry and whine about a magazine cover, worry that young Americans, so soft mentally that they will want to become a suicide bomber so they can be on TV and on a Magazine cover. Somehow We cannot handle this.

Wow amazing what a few decades can do. We have become a soft nation.

50307BE3-3C51-4268-88B6-ABAFFAA30A03_w640_s.jpg

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Is this another "good old days" thread? I wouldn't want to miss it. Let's not forget that RS was only started in 67 so not too many people really cared what was on the cover of a newbie mag and even if they did, there was no internet for the one person complaining to broadcast it to the rest of the world immediately.

Last edited:

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
Is this another "good old days" thread? I wouldn't want to miss it. Let's not forget that RS was only started in 67 so not too many people really cared what was on the cover of a newbie mag and even if they did, there was no internet for the one person complaining to broadcast it to the rest of the world immediately.

I don't even think people read magazines in 2013

Feb 6, 2007
Are you sure Americans didn't complain about the Charles Manson cover? I would guess that plenty of them did, but we didn't have Twitter and Facebook and the internet in general allowing everyone to immediately voice their displeasure to everyone in the world willing to listen. An increase in mass communication makes controversies seem much grander than back in the day because everyone can participate in a very immediate way.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Are you sure Americans didn't complain about the Charles Manson cover? I would guess that plenty of them did, but we didn't have Twitter and Facebook and the internet in general allowing everyone to immediately voice their displeasure to everyone in the world willing to listen. An increase in mass communication makes controversies seem much grander than back in the day because everyone can participate in a very immediate way.

I have a feeling that it's not just that outrage is more visible now, but that outrage begets outrage. People may have been annoyed at that magazine cover back then, but they didn't have the internet hate machine turning their mild annoyance into outrage. It's a feedback loop. Everything now is amplified, in addition to being more visible. It seems there are no mild reactions anymore, everything is cranked to 11.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
easy-rider-campfire.JPG

George: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

Billy: Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened. Hey, we can't even get into like, a second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel, you dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or somethin'. They're scared, man.

George: They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Billy: Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.

George: Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.

George: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.

George: No, it makes 'em dangerous. Buh, neh! Neh! Neh! Neh! Swamp!

--Easy Rider

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
I have a feeling that it's not just that outrage is more visible now, but that outrage begets outrage. People may have been annoyed at that magazine cover back then, but they didn't have the internet hate machine turning their mild annoyance into outrage. It's a feedback loop. Everything now is amplified, in addition to being more visible. It seems there are no mild reactions anymore, everything is cranked to 11.

Like people who don't get the magazines, or read the magazine, or even set eyes upon the actual magazine cover instead of a picture of it, join in on the bandwagon of complaining? Probably.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Having been around when that 1st cover was printed you'd be wrong, there were a number of people that complained about Chuckles Manson being portrayed as some kind of anti-hero and to this day he still has a huge following. Some of his followers have gone on to commit violent crimes. Making heroes,stars and celebrities out of serial killers and terrorists is just a stupid idea. Yes, they have a 1st Amendment right to do it, but it doesn't make it smart.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Americans have become pussies.

The Internet is a dual-edged sword. Back in 1970 you had the nightly news, am already out-of-date newspaper an AM radio and word of mouth ... that was it. I would tend to agree that Americans have become "softer" ... they have also become whinier with their ability to communicate their whineyness.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004

You just perfectly explained modern society. The internet has become a perpetual outrage machine.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Having been around when that 1st cover was printed you'd be wrong, there were a number of people that complained about Chuckles Manson being portrayed as some kind of anti-hero and to this day he still has a huge following. Some of his followers have gone on to commit violent crimes. Making heroes,stars and celebrities out of serial killers and terrorists is just a stupid idea. Yes, they have a 1st Amendment right to do it, but it doesn't make it smart.

I tend to agree with this.

At least the Manson cover made him look ominous instead of glamming him up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

This pretty much nails it.

Geosurface

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2012
One thing 1970 America and 2013 America have in common is their stupid failure to put a bullet in the forehead of both of these murderers.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010

I think you nailed it, or at least a large part of it. The internet, with its anonymity, seem to bring out the worst in people. And often when someone says something positive, trolls do their thing. I guess the net just brings out the lowest common denominator in us.

Likewise, we have information flooding our brains 24/7, and we all know what type of news sells, and that leads to more jaded people as well. Of course sometimes that jadedness is well placed, particularly in recent US politics and its actors.

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
Pound for pound Americans have become weaker in many ways.

Talk to older folks and watch movies with actors from the 70s and before. Men were really men back then.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Pound for pound Americans have become weaker in many ways.

Talk to older folks and watch movies with actors from the 70s and before. Men were really men back then.
And every handyman, carpenter or skilled tradesman I know is LOVING it right now. They are all backlogged at least 3 weeks cause no one will or is capable of doing anything themselves anymore.

And yes Steve McQueen would trash Shia LaDouche any day of the week. ;)

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001

I think this sums up most of the rage we see these days. Being constantly connected has its downsides.

bradley

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2000
Don't like it, don't buy it. Your middle-class votes mean nothing without dollar bills behind it.

Anyway, the media manufactures most rage before it even hits the streets. They literally created the Zimmerman case out of whole cloth.

shady28

Platinum Member
Apr 11, 2004
easy-rider-campfire.JPG

George: You know, this used to be a helluva good country. I can't understand what's gone wrong with it.

Billy: Man, everybody got chicken, that's what happened. Hey, we can't even get into like, a second-rate hotel, I mean, a second-rate motel, you dig? They think we're gonna cut their throat or somethin'. They're scared, man.

George: They're not scared of you. They're scared of what you represent to 'em.

Billy: Hey, man. All we represent to them, man, is somebody who needs a haircut.

George: Oh, no. What you represent to them is freedom.

Billy: What the hell is wrong with freedom? That's what it's all about.

George: Oh, yeah, that's right. That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and bein' it, that's two different things. I mean, it's real hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace. Of course, don't ever tell anybody that they're not free, 'cause then they're gonna get real busy killin' and maimin' to prove to you that they are. Oh, yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom. But they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em.

Billy: Well, it don't make 'em runnin' scared.

George: No, it makes 'em dangerous. Buh, neh! Neh! Neh! Neh! Swamp!

--Easy Rider

Man that is awesome, and spot on.