1958 TV Series Trackdown -Trump episode

Hugo Stiglitz

Feb 24, 2018

In this episode, a con man named Trump comes to town and convinces the townspeople they need to build a wall to protect themselves from imminent death.

In the end, Trump gets caught by the Marshall and of course Trump tries to bribe his way out of it. There’s a twist ending for Trump so I won’t spoil it.

One great line is with the Judge and the Marshall and it goes like, “When we were little kids we were afraid of the dark then we grew up and stopped being afraid. It’s funny how one big lie can make us all little kids again.”

Yes this is a real TV episode from 1958.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I need to watch that expecially with Robert Culp who starred on what might have been Harlan Ellison's best screenplay, "Demon with a Glass Hand" on the original Outer Limits. It's a must see.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I need to watch that expecially with Robert Culp who starred on what might have been Harlan Ellison's best screenplay, "Demon with a Glass Hand" on the original Outer Limits. It's a must see.

Dr. Wallace Breen in Halflife 2!!!

And Bill in Greatest American Hero.

Reactions: Paratus

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I wonder what makes one person a sheep and another con resistant. Could it be the capacity to notice one's own vulnerability. Maybe it comes from practice at recognizing the fact we are constantly being manipulated.

Hugo Stiglitz

Feb 24, 2018
I wonder what makes one person a sheep and another con resistant. Could it be the capacity to notice one's own vulnerability. Maybe it comes from practice at recognizing the fact we are constantly being manipulated.
There are three basic types of people:

The sheep: the people that fall for con men

The wolves: the con men

The sheepdogs: the people that look out for the con men and warn the sheep when they see the wolves approaching.

How does one go from sheep to sheepdog? They interact with and learn from a lot of wolves.

Last edited:
Reactions: nickqt

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are three basic types of people:

The sheep: the people that fall for con men

The wolves: the con men

The sheepdogs: the people that look out for the con men and warn the sheep when they see the wolves approaching.

How does one go from sheep to sheepdog? They interact with a lot of wolves.
A sheepdog is just a wolf that has exchanged empathy for slaughter as a more reliable meal ticket. It did so at the behest of a creature that created empathy out of self awareness.

Last edited:

Hugo Stiglitz

Feb 24, 2018
A sheepdog is just a wolf that has exchanged empathy for slaughter as a more reliable meal ticket. It did so at the behest of a creature that created empathy our of self awareness.
Good observation.

A sheepdog is a wolf with learned principles.

Reactions: nickqt

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

In my case the explanation is pretty straight forward. My father was a skeptic and a realist. He directly taught me the value of skepticism. My parents told me there was no Santa Clause, Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy when I was about 5. They did me a favor. IMO, the longer they go on believing such things, the greater the chance they believe nonsense as adults. Yet as a society, we consider it cruel to deprive a child of certain, specific fantasies.

Of course, skepticism of supernatural claims and also all kinds of woo dovetails with a general skepticism about most of what I read or hear. Not just about politics. It seems that this entire great nation is utterly exploding in bullshit:

NSFW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtK_YsVInw8

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugo Stiglitz