Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
ok it could be a numbr of things:

Bladder infection
Kidney Disease
OR

if you are feeding him poor quality food it can cause a blockage in his urinary tract which is not only painful but dangerous. (it can make him feel like he has to pee all the time) I know two people who had this happen to thier animals 4 years apart, in each case the vet did not come out and directly say it, he hinted that the fact they fed thier cats the cheap food and only hard food quite possibly was a contributing factor.

it cost them around 300-400 to get the animal back to normal.

I do not know what you feed your cat, but I highly suggest that you switch to a high quality food such as science diet, and 1/2 can of soft food per day the reason is that cats originated in the desert. Due to that thier bodies still operate on the need for little water so they do not drink water often, that is why thier urine smells so bad, it is because it is so concentrated. It is for all purposes it is amonia. (which by the way, NEVER use bleach on say like a concrete basement floor or garage to clean up cat piss. amonia+bleach=cloud of death.)

Because of this they must have another source of water other than the just the water bowl because they only drink when they are thirsty, that is where moist food comes into play, 1/4 can to 1/2 can in the morning once a day is enough.

I had a diabetic cat for about 12 years and one that is in the begining phase of renal shut down (he is 15) so I got to know a lot about thier physiology and needs from talking to my vet about proper care.

KarenMarie

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2003
Wheezer is spot on.

Food is important.

Try to stay away from anything that has fish ingredients. I have had more than a few cats pee blood and that is what the vet said it was. as soon as i stopped by stuff with fish in it, all was well. read the label, not all fish flavor has fish and some non fish flavor has fish.

Good quality food is very important.

Canned food once a day and free flow dry with a bowl of fresh water nearby.

I love this stuff
http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/cats/wellness_overview.html

read the ingredients in that... hahaha.

Shadowknight

Diamond Member
May 4, 2001
See a vet. It sounds like a urinary infection. My cat Ziggy had one; the vet had me switch him to a prescription feed for awhile; meat was better, but Ziggy kept shifting between wanting only meat and wanting no meat at all, so get both types in case your cat turns out to be picky during the recovery period. He'll need more water while he heals, so put water bowls in different locations of your house/apartment. If the vet tells you it is a urinary infection, be prepared to request a prescription for an anti-inflammatory. My cat still had trouble urinating after getting put on anti-biotics, so the other medication made it easier for him to urinate in the meantime.

Stumps

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
samething happened with my GF's pet cat EMO, when we first got him, he was about 8 weeks old, and kept going to the litter tray and was doing nothing but each time he tried he would start crying out like he was in pain.

We took him to the vets and the vet told us to feed him decent tinned cat food instead of the whiskas kibble that he had been eating. we started him on whiskas tinned cat food and with in a couple of days the problem went away.

Now EMO is 7 months old and will eat anything(and i do MEAN anything...he's especially fond of centipedes)with out any problems

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
Why would you wait a day when your cat is trying to pee with no success? Can you imagine how you would feel if it were you? Especially if it's blocked, and there's urine in there with no way out.

Get him to a vet asap!