19" lcd's-CTX, KDS, Samsumg?

GregRad

Aug 29, 2000
Greetings
Sams club has me thinking about a KDS Rad-9 as it is a mere $900 right now and they are good with returns if there are dead pixels. However, in doing reasearch, I came across this deal at Newegg:

CTX INTL. 19" LCD MONITOR Model PV910MD Retail
Speifications:
19" Diagonal Viewable Active Matrix TFT Panel
True 1600 x 1200 (UXGA) 0.2415 x 0.2415mm Dot Pitch
Color: Display 16.7M color
Brightness: 200 cd/m2 (Typical)
Contrast Ratio: 300:1 (Typical)
Viewing Angle: 170° Horizontal, 170° Vertical VGA input: 15pin D-sub Male and Digital Visual Interface(DVI) Audio input: 3.5mm Stereo jack x 1 Dimensions: Monitor: 18.4" x 17.5" x 9.5" Warranty: 3 Year Model#: PV910MD

Now, I could care less if it is CTX, Samsung, Hyndai, Ford, Sony, Joe's or any other name brand as every company has had bad products and everyone has had a bad experience with one of them. I own a 95 For Explorer Limited, I am accustomed to recall notices and parts falling off.

Anyone have that CTX? It is $1350 and seems to have some impressive specs, but what is the real world like?

How about the Samsung 191T? Looks cool, specs nice, Toms Hardware (I think) likes it, few other trusted reviews on 19' monitors around. Any comments on these three models? Back to the Rad-9 for $900 at Sams Club down the street it is teasing me!

Cheers
Greg

subhuman

Aug 24, 2000
Well if you don't mind recall notices and parts falling off, either choice would be fine :)

But if you want the best IMHO it's the Samsung. Looks like Anand agrees, check out his recent article www.anandtech.com on the Samsung 191T.

GregRad

Aug 29, 2000
Yes, my patience is being tested as Anandtech has promised more LCD reviews and I am curious to what they observe. I found a great lacking of 19" reviews on trusted sites but a whole bunch of 15" and 17" reviews. Sams Club has been selling this 19" KDS for a while now and the stocks are starting to thin, so I must decide soon. There must be a few other people who have picked them up and have an opinion.
I do not game a lot anymore. Basically SimGolf has me entertained now, but I do a decent amount of graphic design work and publishing with my computer, if that helps. FPS and I are no longer happy friends as I prefer to use fingers over the mouse and carpal tunnel really hurts....too much Doom years ago.
The quality of that CTX is my biggest question....but the KDS is so close and easy to return...
Cheers
Greg

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
I own a KDS Rad-9, So does Type-R, and I think Hungiema. If you are going to use this monitor in Analog, get a better cable the one that comes with it sucks.
If you are using DVI it's a great monitor for the money. It's bright, clear, and does good in games. Granted it's max res is 1280x1024 but I think 1600x1200 is too much res for a 19" monitor. The one problem I've had is sometimes when I go into or out of a game like GTA3 the screen will shift wierdly and some of the screen that should be at the bottom ends up at the top. Turning the monitor on and off fixes it though. I suspect it might be the dvi controller on my Leadtek GF3 TI200 card. I have a Chaintech GF4 TI4200 coming next week so I'll know then if it's the card or the monitor.

GregRad

Aug 29, 2000
hmmmm.that is food for thought as my GF3 does not have a DVI port, so I would be going analog. A new cable makes it better you say, the cable it comes with stinks. I wonder if I need to consider a new video card also. Without being a FPS player, I cannot notice a huge difference between my GF2 and GF3...in fact, I notice no difference.
Cheers
Greg

azkiwi

Oct 1, 2000
You won't get the best out of your LCD in analog and I definitely wouldn't spend $1300+ for a killer monitor and then run it analog. I too am dubious about 1600x1200 for general use. There are lots of choices in between - you can get a good 19" LCD and a DVI card for the price of the CTX

Freejack2

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2000
For about $1045 + Tax on the Rad - 9 You can get the Rad-9 from Sams club and pick up a GF4-TI4200 with DVI.
Fedex says my TI-4200 card is on the truck today so I'll let you know if it fixes the wierd screen problem or not.
Moo!