18 Depressing Photos That Show Why Nobody Wants To Shop At Sears

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Funny to see this thread today. My wife's friend took her car to Sears today because her low coolant light came on. Dropped it off at 10 AM. When it got to be 6:30 PM and she didn't get a call, she asked my wife to drive her over to see what was up.

The clerk said, "We were wondering if you were going to make it in before we closed at 7!"

She said, "Well, you never called me."

The clerk said, "Oh? Sorry about that. Someone should have called you."

She said, "What did you have to do to the car?"

The clerk said, "It says 'low coolant' on the work order."

She said, "Yeah, that was why I brought it in. Did they fix it?"

The clerk said, "I don't know."

Driving home, her entire dashboard lit up - check engine, low tire pressure, low coolant, the works.

Not a happy ending for her. I think the tech screwed something up, realized it, and just stopped working on the car. Could explain why the work order had no details about what was done and why she was never called.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
i have a Sears Grand store near me, it was their failed attempt at selling canned food items and a limited dairy section. over the summer they removed that section and replaced it with a mattress dept. my daughter had a summer job at the store, sears pays their employees shit, work the floor min wage, work appliances work commission only.

i will say the store near me was always clean and neat. but the Kmart just up the road needs to be nuked. its a shithole and i have not been in it for years.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Funny to see this thread today. My wife's friend took her car to Sears today because her low coolant light came on. Dropped it off at 10 AM. When it got to be 6:30 PM and she didn't get a call, she asked my wife to drive her over to see what was up.

The clerk said, "We were wondering if you were going to make it in before we closed at 7!"

Driving home, her entire dashboard lit up - check engine, low tire pressure, low coolant, the works.

Not a happy ending for her. I think the tech screwed something up, realized it, and just stopped working on the car. Could explain why the work order had no details about what was done and why she was never called.

how hard it it to put more antifreeze in the reservoir?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Some of you need to read the beginning of the photo blog. The pictures were taken by an equity strategist with capital management group, probably as part of his company's review of Sears and whether to invest in them or inform their clientelle. All of the comments are those of the analyst, not a journalist.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Sears near me is very nice and actually overstocked. No space to walk hardly outside of the main isles.
I do find it odd however that they only carried 2 pairs of hearing protectors in a shelf spot I would never think to look...the golfing stuff area. They sell tons of mowers and stuff that all advises you to wear hearing protection yet the store acts like that's just LOL....which It is really.

Other than that, our Sears is great, nothing that can't be had cheaper online though.

k-mart (when it was around) had a really depressing atmosphere. i think it was the dirty beige floors and bad fluorescent lighting.

We still have a Kmart. Nothing like their glory days in the 80's but yeah, their not the most upbeat and happy place. Ours has like 3 workers in the entire store but they are cheap on some things and they have layaway which many here in my town use like it was a ripe vagina.

Last edited:

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I bought eye glasses at the local Sears. I was there for about a half hour. Not a single shopper passed through the adjacent kids or kitchen departments the whole time I was there.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
every time I walk into there I feel like I'm going back in time. There's just so many better competitors. The only times I did get something in there was black friday.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
WOW!

That is exactly my Sears.

Last 4 times I went in there I couldnt find what I needed. They either didnt have it, or couldnt locate it. I stopped going a while back.

Markbnj

Elite Member <br>Moderator Emeritus
Sep 16, 2005
www.markbetz.net
I did business with Sears for several years back in the late 90's through early 00's. The company was a mess then, and it hasn't gotten any better. Unless you've been on the inside you can't imagine the thick, suffocating, useless layers of bureaucracy that stifle every innovative thought. This is, after all, the company that responded to the Age of the Internet by shutting down the most successful catalog operation in history.

phucheneh

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2012
What a fucking terrible article. People get paid to take shitty phone pictures of a run-down department store and provide asinine commentary?

His awful attempts to link what he's seeing in the store to the corporation's current condition are dumb as shit, anyway. Yeah, I'm sure SOME things can be attributed to a lack of money...but most of that is just shit management. Having the money to keep departments organized, shelves [appear] full, displays updated, ect doesn't mean shit if the managers of the store aren't able to identify and correct problems. Most of the things noted in the 'article' can be improved substantially with no monetary investment. Just hire a store manager who's able to say 'this looks like shit; here are some ways to make it look better...'

Walmart must be going out business, too, right? 'Cause the one by me looks like the same disheveled heap of shit I'm seeing in that Sears.

OverVolt

Lifer
Aug 31, 2002
What a fucking terrible article. People get paid to take shitty phone pictures of a run-down department store and provide asinine commentary?

His awful attempts to link what he's seeing in the store to the corporation's current condition are dumb as shit, anyway. Yeah, I'm sure SOME things can be attributed to a lack of money...but most of that is just shit management. Having the money to keep departments organized, shelves [appear] full, displays updated, ect doesn't mean shit if the managers of the store aren't able to identify and correct problems. Most of the things noted in the 'article' can be improved substantially with no monetary investment. Just hire a store manager who's able to say 'this looks like shit; here are some ways to make it look better...'

Walmart must be going out business, too, right? 'Cause the one by me looks like the same disheveled heap of shit I'm seeing in that Sears.

The one near me is like that too. Stained carpet and all. When I realized they had practically the exact same stained carpet I burst out in lols man.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
the article might be imperfect but the core idea is correct.
Sears is shit. It has been going downhill for about a decade. Thats reality, its not opinion.

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
That article is depressing. Who the fuck wrote that?

"Sozzi left the store with an empty cart."
"The random clothing racks are confusing to customers and show a lack of organization"

What is this a 3rd grade photo journal?

What's funny is that Forever21 is the same way (random displays, no organization) and people seem to have a huge hardon over that store.

Either way, that's one Sears' store. The one by me is decently stocked and organized...there's just never anyone there to help you when you actually want to buy something (wanted to buy a dishwasher a couple months ago...ended up going to Best Buy.)

OlafSicky

Platinum Member
Feb 25, 2011
Perhaps it's like that because 'muricans can't afford to shop there anymore. They are all at wallmart looking for sales.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Their biggest mistake was ending their mail order catalog in 1993, right when the internet was taking off. If they had stayed with mail order a little longer, they could easily have been the largest online retailer in the world.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
I do feel bad for them, it's another business crushed by time. It's not as bad as K-mart. Nothing is, and I mean nothing. Not even Radio Shack is as depressing as K-Mart, perhaps because I can go in and out of Radioshack quicker.

Still, Sears is a dinosaur. Granted, I am biased to department stores in general. I rather hate them. I just so infrequently can think of any reason I'd go to Sears. Last couple of times I went to buy appliances the sales people were dickheads, or disinterested, so why bother? Last time I wanted to buy a TV they had to order it. Blah! This isn't 1990. If I want something I am mother effing getting it NOW. Not in a week or two.
"Toys stacked on a shelf next to an escalator by the shoe department," Sozzi writes.
Ha! I've seen these, they are so random. Just in the middle of nowhere a shelf selling always, no matter what, pure shit garbage you wouldn't even take for free.
That article is depressing. Who the fuck wrote that?

"Sozzi left the store with an empty cart."

"The random clothing racks are confusing to customers and show a lack of organization"

What is this a 3rd grade photo journal?
3rd grade? At best. I agree, it's a lame ass piece that comes across as somebody's personal blog.
Those pictures aren't that depressing. This video on how to cook nachos on the other hand is ULTRA depressing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKxhI4I5kq8
Haha, damn. Go to 1:07 just after he says 3-6 people. I think he is about to stroke.

Last edited:

SagaLore

Elite Member
Dec 18, 2001
Does this sound fucking retard to anyone else?
Sozzi says. "If you are living darn near paycheck to paycheck, does this presentation excite you about making a purchase with a couple saved up electronic dollars?"

I know yahoo news is the lowest form of drivel passed off as news on the internet but for fuck sakes..

Does Sears take bitcoin? :hmm:

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009

She brought her car to a mechanic because of low coolant?

REALLY?

I tell you what, I actually used Sears for tire change and found them to be excellent. Not only did they have decent human beings but also a big window into a shop/waiting area with TV/free coffee etc. They also let me check out my shocks and suspension while they had my car on the lift with no wheels.

I would actually recommend Sears highly for service/repair!

Clearly Sears by my house is completely opposite from article....based on my experience.

Last edited: