1700 private jets were flown to a conference discussing climate change

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
One side of me (the evil side) wants to ask how does foot taste?

The other side wants me to just let it drop because well, its painful to watch.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
One side of me (the evil side) wants to ask how does foot taste?

The other side wants me to just let it drop because well, its painful to watch.

Read the thread title again.

Please tell me what part is wrong.
Please show me where I ranted.

What's your zip code? I'll try to find you some reading classes.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Please show me where I ranted.

What's your zip code? I'll try to find you some reading classes.

past vs present.

When you say the conference is discussing climate change, it means the conference is talking just about that. If you said a conference where climate change was discussed, then it would be different.

Its an English language nuance. Its misleading, because the conference was not only about climate change. In fact, it was not even a majority issue.

It would be like saying that a conference was about hello, because a speaker said hello.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005

Your thread title and original post are grossly misleadying because - even if you use the tiny amount of wiggle room available to you and claim that Davos is at least a teeny, tiny bit concerned with climate change, your whole point in mentioning in the same title "climate change" and "1700 private jets were flown" to Davos is to imply that these participants are hippocrites (and further implying that not even climate change advocates take it seriously). But since we know that climate change was about one-sixth of 1% of the agenda at Davos, your claims are utter nonsense and intellectually fraudulent.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Its called videoconferencing or teleconferencing. It will help a lot with the financial and ecological impacts.

These 1700 private jets, these are for the elites. They consider themselves to be the supreme beings, to be above the law.

For us proles, we take what scraps remain.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
Your thread title and original post are grossly misleadying because - even if you use the tiny amount of wiggle room available to you and claim that Davos is at least a teeny, tiny bit concerned with climate change, your whole point in mentioning in the same title "climate change" and "1700 private jets were flown" to Davos is to imply that these participants are hippocrites (and further implying that not even climate change advocates take it seriously). But since we know that climate change was about one-sixth of 1% of the agenda at Davos, your claims are utter nonsense and intellectually fraudulent.

LOL

No serious....I'm laughing out loud. Where did I imply any of that?

Please....please show where I implied that, or anything close to that. Please!

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LOL

No serious....I'm laughing out loud. Where did I imply any of that?

Please....please show where I implied that, or anything close to that. Please!

So, what do you think the issue is, that required a thread then?

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
So you admit to just trolling?

I was looking for an explanation, like I asked for in the OP. Then all the liberal nut jobs lost their minds. I cut and pasted the thread title from the article I linked to. I don't follow these conferences and I was hoping to understand what was going on.

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Hilarious that the liberals here are giving a pass to the economic elite stating this is a conference about world economic issues and nothing to do with climate change and stating that the OP is full of it...If climate change is such an important issue, shouldn't they be up in arms that it is not being discussed here instead of arguing technicalities of this being an economic conference and not a climate change one? They have no problem doing that in every climate change thread in P and N...

But taking a closer look, climate change is a hot topic at the Davos conference...yet these are the people who flew in those 1700 private jets making these statements....

the hypocrisy on climate change continues as usual...

Leaders in Davos Urge Quick Action to Alter the Effects of Climate Change
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2015/01...-to-alter-the-effects-of-climate-change/?_r=0

French President Hollande Sets Climate Change At Center Stage In Davos
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/01/23/hollande-davos-climate-change_n_6533790.html

Davos 2015: World Bank chief makes climate action plea
http://www.theguardian.com/business...hief-climate-change-al-gore-pharrell-williams

Seven themes that will dominate Davos 2015 - Last year was the warmest on record, and climate change will be high on the agenda during the first full day of events in Davos.
http://www.theguardian.com/business...vos-climate-change-political-instability-2015

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I was looking for an explanation, like I asked for in the OP. Then all the liberal nut jobs lost their minds. I cut and pasted the thread title from the article I linked to. I don't follow these conferences and I was hoping to understand what was going on.

It wasn't about climate change, and the people flying there weren't focused on it so they weren't trying to be green.

Rich people took private transportation. Hypocrisy not found today.

Good enough?

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
An "explanation" of what? Why super-rich movers and shakers who were spending 99.8% of their time at the conference engaged in NON-climate-change-related activities traveled via private jets? This is your claimed justification for starting this thread, and you had no further agenda by trying to link "private jets" with "climate change"?

You're a fvcking liar.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
It wasn't about climate change, and the people flying there weren't focused on it so they weren't trying to be green.

Rich people took private transportation. Hypocrisy not found today.

Good enough?

For not being about climate change, it sure was discussed there an awful lot...

All of these pleas to stop climate change at the conference made by the passengers of those 1700 private jets...

Hypocrisy not found indeed....

stlc8tr

Golden Member
Jan 5, 2011

http://qz.com/332372/the-real-number-of-private-jets-used-to-get-to-davos/

There’s a great rumor going around: “1,700 private planes went to Davos.”
1700 private jets expected to Davos in Switzerland to discuss climate change at World Economic Forum pic.twitter.com/RUbMDYYksT
— Flightradar24 (@flightradar24) January 20, 2015
Wouldn’t that be rich, given the prominence of climate change on the agenda for the power brokers there this week!?
Too bad it isn’t true, and there’s data to prove it.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Look below. Boomer moved to FL because of it.
:awe:

:p

Florida is the worst place to move to if the polar ice caps are going to melt. If he's not underwater on his mortgage he'll be underwater literally.

More likely he moved there for the excitement of being around the Floridian crazies over there. Sane people are boring ya know?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
For not being about climate change, it sure was discussed there an awful lot...

All of these pleas to stop climate change at the conference made by the passengers of those 1700 private jets...

Hypocrisy not found indeed....
The absolutely hilarious thing is that this conference occurs every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Economic_Forum

The absolutely hilarious thing is that this is not a climate change forum.

It is an annual economic forum, which means it should include climate change, whether you think it is real because climate scientists agree that it is, or if you think it is a massive hoax, because great scientific minds such as Sarah Palin or Jim Inhofe consider it a massive hoax.

Of course a World Economic Forum will cover the, uh, economic consequences of climate change. It will cover that topic as an economic topic, because it, uh, involves...economics.

It involves economics whether you're talking about innovation-and-freedom-destroying-regulations, or the economic effects of climate change on 7 billion human beings and the markets they are involved in.

Climate change is an economic issue, regardless of your politics.

But of course, the thread title is purposefully misleading. Outrage! Anger! Hypocrisy!

How does the Davos World Economic Forum itself consider the main points of the 2015 session?

Inequality, climate change, and terrorism.

So clearly, this was simply a climate change conference.

https://agenda.weforum.org/2015/01/the-key-moments-from-davos-2015/

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
The absolutely hilarious thing is that this conference occurs every year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Economic_Forum

The absolutely hilarious thing is that this is not a climate change forum.

It is an annual economic forum, which means it should include climate change, whether you think it is real because climate scientists agree that it is, or if you think it is a massive hoax, because great scientific minds such as Sarah Palin or Jim Inhofe consider it a massive hoax.

Of course a World Economic Forum will cover the, uh, economic consequences of climate change. It will cover that topic as an economic topic, because it, uh, involves...economics.

It involves economics whether you're talking about innovation-and-freedom-destroying-regulations, or the economic effects of climate change on 7 billion human beings and the markets they are involved in.

Climate change is an economic issue, regardless of your politics.

But of course, the thread title is purposefully misleading. Outrage! Anger! Hypocrisy!

How does the Davos World Economic Forum itself consider the main points of the 2015 session?

Inequality, climate change, and terrorism.

So clearly, this was simply a climate change conference.

https://agenda.weforum.org/2015/01/the-key-moments-from-davos-2015/

I really, really want all of the righties claiming that the focus (or even "a focus") of the World Economic Forum 2015 (= "Davos") was climate change to perform the following exercise:

1) Do a google search on WEF_AM15_Programme_A3526EC2F4
2) Click the link to open up the full agenda (PDF document) of WEF 2015.
3) Search through all of the agenda items and try to find any that refer to climate change.

After doing this exercise, get back to us about how much of WEF 2015 was about climate change.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I really, really want all of the righties claiming that the focus (or even "a focus") of the World Economic Forum 2015 (= "Davos") was climate change to perform the following exercise:

1) Do a google search on WEF_AM15_Programme_A3526EC2F4
2) Click the link to open up the full agenda (PDF document) of WEF 2015.
3) Search through all of the agenda items and try to find any that refer to climate change.

After doing this exercise, get back to us about how much of WEF 2015 was about climate change.

I want you to show where a "rightie" has claimed the focus (or even "a focus") was climate change.

Your strawman is falling apart very fast.

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
I want you to show where a "rightie" has claimed the focus (or even "a focus") was climate change.

Your strawman is falling apart very fast.

Why does your thread title tie "1700 private jets flown to conference" to "discussing climate change"?"

Please, please explain.