1700 private jets were flown to a conference discussing climate change

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
That's exactly my feelings on the subject. There is no negative to be proactive in keeping our environment clean.

That is only true if you follow through top to bottom,

outsourcing your pollution to China, India, Mexico, etc. because you are too cheap to pay an American for your products & services under the Environmental, Labor, OSHA, regulations you force them to abide by doesn't make you any less guilty than climate change deniers and polluters that phony liberals like to point fingers at.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
On the question of whether the Earth is warming and if the recent increase is mostly caused by man, why should anyone have to win you over?

The data and analysis are readily available to you. Anyone with a technical background should be able to understand them and draw the same conclusions.

The only debate remaining on the subject is what if anything should be done about it.

I agree. A partial focus of my graduate research was global temperature modeling. My professor and I created a medium-resolution global temperature model that was calibrated to historical temperature data. Input parameters included CO2, methane, solar irradiance, volcanic activity, ocean sequestration, plant activity, aerosol levels, and numerous other factors. There are great journal articles detailing the mechanics behind the Earth's global temperature and their effects. The primary focus was to create a model that could be run on a "normal" computer, so efforts were taken to simplify the simulation while maintaining accuracy. We ran it against the IPCC simulations and collaborated with other universities to compare results.

It was a really great project and I learned a ton about how the Earth reacts to various inputs and how we could have an effect on it. All the information is out there. That is the best part about science, that it is openly published and you can recreate the logic the person used to get to their conclusion and confirm their result.

So people need to stop listening to talking heads or blogs and check out the real science. A lot of the abstracts are easy enough to read and you don't have to get deep into the mathematics to see how some of it works. Don't just attach to random articles that align with your view, take them all in holistically and draw your own conclusion. You have to decouple politics with your research, nature doesn't give a flip what the right or left are saying.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That is only true if you follow through top to bottom,

outsourcing your pollution to China, India, Mexico, etc. because you are too cheap to pay an American for your products & services under the Environmental, Labor, OSHA, regulations you force them to abide by doesn't make you any less guilty than climate change deniers and polluters that phony liberals like to point fingers at.

I agree, it's a group effort. However in my experience people prefer to buy clean goods (I don't live in red neck town so I don't have people purposefully desil dumping), they don't because they usually can't afford it (which is why I'm also for policies that raise the average Americans salary and for government helping to subsidize businesses or ideas that are good for the environment). People are just one part of the equation, a good federal/state policy is the other part.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Wed 10-10:3, a Climate for Change by AL Gore.

Want to put your foot in your mouth any more?

I see that now they kept if very well hidden. And no I still stand by what I said its is not a climate change conference its an economic conference where of many of speakers at least one will be about climate change.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
I see that now they kept if very well hidden. And no I still stand by what I said its is not a climate change conference its an economic conference where of many of speakers at least one will be about climate change.

Read the thread title again.

Please tell me what part is wrong.
Please show me where I ranted.

What's your zip code? I'll try to find you some reading classes.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
I agree, it's a group effort. However in my experience people prefer to buy clean goods (I don't live in red neck town so I don't have people purposefully desil dumping), they don't because they usually can't afford it (which is why I'm also for policies that raise the average Americans salary and for government helping to subsidize businesses or ideas that are good for the environment). People are just one part of the equation, a good federal/state policy is the other part.

You sir,are oblivious.When the government subsidizes sorghum crops for biofuel and the company takes the money and runs..and the thousands of acres just go to waste for 2-3 years.That sir, is nothing but failure.

If you're for raising American's salaries;You would be against practices such as that.

a) That money came out of taxpayer's pockets.
b) It did absolutely jack squat.
c) That land could have been used for food crops instead.

The government is not who should be doing research like that.It should be private people and the government should not hinder them.

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
You sir,are oblivious.When the government subsidizes sorghum crops for biofuel and the company takes the money and runs..and the thousands of acres just go to waste for 2-3 years.That sir, is nothing but failure.

If you're for raising American's salaries;You would be against practices such as that.

a) That money came out of taxpayer's pockets.
b) It did absolutely jack squat.
c) That land could have been used for food crops instead.

The government is not who should be doing research like that.It should be private people and the government should not hinder them.

Nothing you said negates what I said.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Wed 10-10:3, a Clmate for Change by AL Gore.

A whole 30 minutes? Yep that was a huge part of the agenda and I'm sure why everyone went there.

At best this thread is a pathetic attempt at trolling.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001
A whole 30 minutes? Yep that was a huge part of the agenda and I'm sure why everyone went there.

At best this thread is a pathetic attempt at trolling.

At worst it shows how liberals lie and attack when questioned.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Part-PAR-Par8078612-1-1-0.jpg

At Davos, Hypocrites Tell Rest Of Us To Lower Expectations
It's pretty obvious that people who can pay $40,000 to attend Davos and fork over $43 for a hot dog, $47 for a burger or $55 for a Caesar salad — all actual prices at this year's World Economic Forum — would seem to be in a poor position to lecture the rest of us.

A Plan Is Floating Around Davos To Spend $90 Trillion Redesigning All The Cities So They Don't Need Cars
Here's one way to solve global warming: Spend $90 trillion (£59 trillion) over the next few years to redesign all the cities — as in all the cities on earth — so people live in more densely packed neighborhoods and don't need cars.

Every picture tells a story...

Uno

shira

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2005
Wed 10-10:3, a Clmate for Change by AL Gore.

I want to tell you how full of shit you are: I went through the entire here (click the "here" link) schedule of events at Davos and added up the total of all of the scheduled talks and programs and events. I get 296 hours of events, ALL of them overlapping other events. And of those events, exactly 30 minutes is devoted to climate change.

That is, 1/600th of Davos is about Climate Change. Yet you characterize Davos as a "conference discussing climate change" and claim that participants are somehow hipporcrites because they use private jets?!!?

You are a fool and an idiot.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
I want to tell you how full of shit you are: I went through the entire here (click the "here" link) schedule of events at Davos and added up the total of all of the scheduled talks and programs and events. I get 296 hours of events, ALL of them overlapping other events. And of those events, exactly 30 minutes is devoted to climate change.

That is, 1/600th of Davos is about Climate Change. Yet you characterize Davos as a "conference discussing climate change" and claim that participants are somehow hipporcrites because they use private jets?!!?

The event is held every year in Davos, and is called:

World Economic Forum Annual Meeting

But, the great ClimateChangeHoax™ requires making any and all accusations that it is a hoax because the people who discuss it don't swim and walk to the events, and instead take private jets. Mostly because it has to be a hoax, because, like they take private jets there. Because it's a hoax. Private jets. Hoax. Private hoax. Jets. And around and around they go.

rudeguy

Lifer
Dec 27, 2001

Its it a conference?
Did they discuss climate change?

Your rage is hilarious.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Its it a conference?
Did they discuss climate change?

Your rage is hilarious.

The title of this thread is:

"1700 private jets were flown to a conference discussing climate change"

This implies the conference was about climate change, and that the 1700 jets used to get there show how hypocritical the people attending the conference are.

In fact, this annually-held conferance discussed multiple topics, with climate change being one topic of many.

If you changed the thread title to:

"1700 private jets were flown to a conference discussing Mega-cities", the title would have been just as appropriate, and misleading.