1700 private jets were flown to a conference discussing climate change

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Uh, not all of the attendees live in Switzerland and Greyhound doesn't have a route there?

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Uh, not all of the attendees live in Switzerland and Greyhound doesn't have a route there?

And I suppose all the commercial flights were fully booked?

---------------

Jon Stewart covered this pretty well last night.

Fern

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
If people fly private jets to a climate conference that means climate change isn't real.

This is really the last refuge of people trying not to admit they made a terrible mistake and the LIBRULS were right.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Seems the actual figure is probably closer to 20% of that since all aircraft movements were counted.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
I find it mostly a waste of time to try to come up with carbon taxes to generate more revenue for government expansion. Temperature increases from carbon are pretty much irrelevant compared to the expansion of the sun. We will ultimately have to use a shit ton more carbon to prevent global warming than it will ever cause.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
And I suppose all the commercial flights were fully booked?

---------------

Jon Stewart covered this pretty well last night.

Fern

They are entitled.

They could also easily do this entire conference as a teleconference and perhaps make a point, but they have to be seen doing it. Preferably somewhere the little people can be kept safely away.
These but the Al Gore's of the world need their vacations.

If people fly private jets to a climate conference that means climate change isn't real.
What happened to global warming?

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I find it mostly a waste of time to try to come up with carbon taxes to generate more revenue for government expansion. Temperature increases from carbon are pretty much irrelevant compared to the expansion of the sun. We will ultimately have to use a shit ton more carbon to prevent global warming than it will ever cause.
It's climate change. Didn't get the memo?

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Jammin' in New York, 1992, George Carlin

We're so self-important. Everybody's going to save something now. "Save the trees, save the bees, save the whales, save those snails." And the greatest arrogance of all: save the planet. Save the planet, we don't even know how to take care of ourselves yet. I'm tired of this shit. I'm tired of fucking Earth Day. I'm tired of these self-righteous environmentalists, these white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren't enough bicycle paths. People trying to make the world safe for Volvos. Besides, environmentalists don't give a shit about the planet. Not in the abstract they don't. You know what they're interested in? A clean place to live. Their own habitat. They're worried that some day in the future they might be personally inconvenienced. Narrow, unenlightened self-interest doesn't impress me...

--George Carlin
What part of "self-righteous ... white, bourgeois liberals who think the only thing wrong with this country is that there aren't enough bicycle paths..." can I help you understand?

Uno
:cool:

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Must have been a good excuse to spew the mind altering chem trails en route.

:sneaky:

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Yeah, I can. A whole bunch of really rich folks got together to talk about how to control something. Now it's possible that it could be the climate. But I'm going to venture a guess that it's really about how to wring more money out of the cause for their benefit. It shouldn't be that difficult because despite mountains of information debunking climate change as it's defined at this point in time, there are a ton of believers.

Just between you and me, it's because the believers fear centers go into overdrive when this is talked about. It's more or less a Pavlovian response.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Too hard to say with a straight face when one's teeth are chattering.
Look below. Boomer moved to FL because of it.
:awe:
Yeah, I can. A whole bunch of really rich folks got together to talk about how to control something. Now it's possible that it could be the climate. But I'm going to venture a guess that it's really about how to wring more money out of the cause for their benefit. It shouldn't be that difficult because despite mountains of information debunking climate change as it's defined at this point in time, there are a ton of believers.
:p

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

This is really the last refuge of people trying not to admit they made a terrible mistake and the LIBRULS were right.

It's official. You're a parody poster.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Can anyone explain this for me?

Well, let's see...

I'm worth $4.2B. I'm the CEO of one multi-national corporation and I sit on the boards of two others. I'm concerned about global warming, but not yet convinced that there's anything humans can do about it. I feel it's my duty to understand how my companies may be contributing to warming and whether we're acting responsibly. That's why I'm attending the conference.

I personally own two private jets and have access to several more owned by the company. Immediately after the conference in Switzerland I'm vacationing in Greece with my family. No, I'm not flying commercial.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Seems like I read this drivel every year. Rich guy flies in private jet = negates every opinion he has.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Seems like I read this drivel every year. Rich guy flies in private jet = negates every opinion he has.

Sort of like the threads where some Republican gets caught having an affair therefore all Republican policy positions negated

Fern

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000

Jets burn a crazy amount of fuel. Now if I really believed that the exhaust from that jet was really damaging the environment... I would arrange to make my presentation via Skype.