17 year old high schooler gets 8 years in prison

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Good, what a moron. Hopefully this stops all those idiots who thinks its funny to throw an entire school into a panic for there own amusement.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Dari
Originally posted by: Brainonska511
Good. WHo the fuck does he think he is pulling such a stupid prank? Considering all the domestic terrorism we have on our hand, this bastard got exactly what he deserved. WHat an idiot.

BTW, if he was muslim, people that are against this wouldn't have a problem with it. Justice SHOULD be blind.

Justice should be blind, but justice shouldn't be stupid. Considering the age of the perpetrator, this punishment is way over the top.

Like I said, if this was a muslim kid you wouldn't bat an eye. Also, iirc, there is also a law against yelling fire in a theatre when there is no such thing.

Domestic terrorism is serious in this day and age and for someone to play games with the emergency response teams should be a serious offense. He deserved what he got. Besides, this kid will be a legal adult in less than a year. If he was 11 or 12 you may have a point, but considering 15 year olds get tried as adults in some places, why should he be treated any differently?

People who use that phrase, and all variations of it (like the judge) are the worst kind of cowards. The world didn't change, you people did. People should be judged on their actions, not based on the fact that some people seem to have misplaced their spine. Things don't become more illegal because you're afraid.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Good. WHo the fuck does he think he is pulling such a stupid prank? Considering all the domestic terrorism we have on our hand, this bastard got exactly what he deserved. WHat an idiot.

BTW, if he was muslim, people that are against this wouldn't have a problem with it. Justice SHOULD be blind.

Justice should be blind, but justice shouldn't be stupid. Considering the age of the perpetrator, this punishment is way over the top.

Like I said, if this was a muslim kid you wouldn't bat an eye. Also, iirc, there is also a law against yelling fire in a theatre when there is no such thing.

Domestic terrorism is serious in this day and age and for someone to play games with the emergency response teams should be a serious offense. He deserved what he got. Besides, this kid will be a legal adult in less than a year. If he was 11 or 12 you may have a point, but considering 15 year olds get tried as adults in some places, why should he be treated any differently?

Who are you to tell me if it was a muslim kid, I wouldn't bat an eye? You're ridiculous.

Playing games with the emergency response system is idiotic, but is it really worth 8 years in prison? That's a bit harsh.

Originally posted by: ZeroIQ

Yeah, all the other school shootings took place with grown adults. Oh wait :confused:

This wasn't a shooting, it was an empty threat.

Yes, nice way to look at it. We should be able to walk around and make empty threats and make people fear for their life... this is okay in your book?

Everyone else always thought all the other shooters had empty threats as well or they weren't a danger to people. The point is no one really knows if it was an empty threat or not. Especially at the time of the threat.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

Who are you to tell me if it was a muslim kid, I wouldn't bat an eye? You're ridiculous.

Playing games with the emergency response system is idiotic, but is it really worth 8 years in prison? That's a bit harsh.

Yeah, all the other school shootings took place with grown adults. Oh wait :confused:

This wasn't a shooting, it was an empty threat.

Yes, nice way to look at it. We should be able to walk around and make empty threats and make people fear for their life... this is okay in your book?

Everyone else always thought all the other shooters had empty threats as well or they weren't a danger to people. The point is no one really knows if it was an empty threat or not. Especially at the time of the threat.

Obviously not, that doesn't mean the punishment for making an empty threat should be 8 years in prison.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
Originally posted by: Rainsford

Obviously not, that doesn't mean the punishment for making an empty threat should be 8 years in prison.

I didn't say it wasn't over the top. He was making an argument because of the guys age as if age as never been a factor in school shootings.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

I didn't say it wasn't over the top. He was making an argument because of the guys age as if age as never been a factor in school shootings.

Fair enough...and I'd agree (especially for 17 year olds), age should not be a get out of jail free card. But then again, I'd think this was a stupid sentence if the kid was a legal adult.

venkman

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2007
8 years of some kid living on the states dime. That is smart. If you want 8 years of punishment, then make it 8 years of required community service. At least that way the kid can actually help society while he finishes high school, goes to college, and pays taxes.

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Considering the threat and the rash of school/mall shootings we've been having, good call on 8 years.

What if an adult walked on to a city bus and said that? Or is that different

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: blackangst1
Considering the threat and the rash of school/mall shootings we've been having, good call on 8 years.

First Amendment of the Constitution of the United States of America:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Yeah I completely forgot we have a Constitution...

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

People who use that phrase, and all variations of it (like the judge) are the worst kind of cowards. The world didn't change, you people did. People should be judged on their actions, not based on the fact that some people seem to have misplaced their spine. Things don't become more illegal because you're afraid.

In this day and age, the only thing that stays constant is change.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
Originally posted by: Sacrilege

Is this a sarcastic post? What domestic "terrah" incidents have we had in the past few years?

Terrorism doesn't just mean arab acts of violence.

Dec 10, 2005

To throw away prudence and reason because the "day and age" changed is moronic. What's the point of protecting what we hold dear if we're willing to subvert all of it in order to save it?

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: 2Xtreme21

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

So it's cool if I say "Ive gotten a bomb through security onto this international flight" while waiting to board my flight to Asia?

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004

So it's cool if I say "Ive gotten a bomb through security onto this international flight" while waiting to board my flight to Asia?

They should detain you, search through your baggage, make your life a living hell, and once they find you don't have a bomb, they should let you go about your business. Instead, you'd probably get sent to a federal PMITA prison where you'd live the rest of your life off tax dollars that could be spent on better screening techniques for such real threats at airports.

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002

To throw away prudence and reason because the "day and age" changed is moronic. What's the point of protecting what we hold dear if we're willing to subvert all of it in order to save it?

You know what happens to people when there is a stampede? They die. Is eight years of someone's life worth the hard lesson that others will learn in order to save on life?

BTW, don't get overdramatic with me about the constitution. Like I said before, there have been laws on the books regarding yelling fire in a theatre for decades...

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005

They should detain you, search through your baggage, make your life a living hell, and once they find you don't have a bomb, they should let you go about your business. Instead, you'd probably get sent to a federal PMITA prison where you'd live the rest of your life off tax dollars that could be spent on better screening techniques for such real threats at airports.

Im not dogging you, just trying to understand. You believe free speech should be unequivocally unfettered? As far as speech is concerned theres not a responsibility factor?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
That's what he gets for being black.. eh?

Would Whitey get a sentence like that?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Manslaughter is only like 8 year in itself

DID SOMEONE DIE by his use of words?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001

That's true, if a little fortune cookie-ish. But all the more reason to not use "in this day and age" as an excuse for ill-considered overreaction. You're right, things do change, and inevitably someone will suggest that change is a good reason for dramatic upheavals that would otherwise not be acceptable. In effect, using the phrase "in this day and age" is a form of special pleading, an argument that certain reactions are OK because THIS particular time we live in is full of dangers not present in the kinder, gentler, past.

Only that's ALWAYS the excuse, "this day and age" is exactly like every other day and age if you listen to the people using that argument. The threats may change, but not the need for hysterical overreaction to them. Anybody who thinks the modern day folks seeing terrorists under every rock are any less ridiculous than Senator McCarthy and the Red Scare are only fooling themselves.

That isn't to say that we can't adapt to a new and changing world, I just don't buy the argument that the way to do so is to start jumping at shadows. The problem with focusing on how the world is changing is that the relative importance of those changes becomes exaggerated. 9/11 was certainly an important event in our history that should affect how we view the world, but to use it as the defining factor of our foreign policy and domestic security seems short sighted.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Texas, where we are still racist bastards and there is nothing you can do about it

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
Unless he has a stacked record already, feels a bit much for a phone hoax crime.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Terrorist thread my ass. He didn't have any weapons and he didn't have any means to go through with his threat. He should get probation, fines, community work, something to make him aware he can't do shit like that, but I do not believe he deserves a single day in jail.